2-Channel Audio

Jay Sentz

I'm setting up a listening room in my office and own 2 Klipschhorns. My dream system in 1968 when I was graduated from college was two Klipshorns with a Cornwall center channel, but I couldn't afford it. Now that I'm ready to go, I don't know how technology changes should affect my system.

Should I go with one, two or 0 rear speakers. What kind should I use? 1.gif

IMO, I'd go for the two Klipschorns/1 Cornwall 2-channel stereo system, unless you're wanting a HT setup in your office. There are still lots of vintage H.H. Scott and EICO integrated amps with center channel provisions that can be had on the cheap (a little more with the usual restorations, natch). I'd go for your dream if I were you!

Hi Jay,

Welcome. Though PWK originally used Heresy as a center channel between Khorns, later suggested in Dope from Hope that one should use a Belle if a center channel, if desired. He went on to say that the complement of three fully horn loaded speakers was satisfactory, but if one was going to use Heresy or Cornwall as a center, it would be better just to use to Khorns. Something about distortion from the woofer of the Cornwall or Heresy. My understanding is that the Cornwall or Heresy crossover is such that you hear the lower mid through your L and R midhorns and through the woofer in the center. He considered that unsatisfactory.

I recently got curious about that with my Scott 222D, which has a fully powered (not just a derived center pre out) center channel and used a Heresy as the center. It might have been better in a larger room, but I actually preferred the straight two channel Klipschorn sound. I haed been thinking of obtaining a Belle to use a center channel, but have since changed my mind. It would certainly have been an improvement over the heresy center, but WTH.

correct, the Heresy was the 'first' center speaker for flanking Khorns. Later the Cornwall came along & was intended as for center speaker use. Later (and I have written correspondence from Klipsch on this) the Belle or LaScalla were recommended due to their "lower through center distortion". With the woofer being a direct radiator, the Cornwall has several orders of magnitude higher distortion. On the other hand, some people prefer that.

Johnny dB,

I'm not arguing with you, but I have vintage gear and use a remote to control volume. I can only do this when using my CD player, which has a "Line Out" volume control. I believe this also controls headphone volume at the CD player too, but I don't yet have headphones to verify.

Chris

----------------

On 2/18/2004 12:31:17 AM Piranha wrote:

What kind of CD player do you have?

Thanks,

----------------

That is right many (all?) Yamahas have a variable analog output... and it does vary the headphone output as well. The Yamaha CDC675 I used to have had these features, as well an older Sony (early 90s) that used to do the same thing.

This feature obviously doesn't work for the digital outputs, so your stuck with the built in DAC BUT it can be very convenient when you have a basic "analog" preamp.

I have since changed my preamp... and CD player...

Rob

Mungkiman,

No argument here. I shouldn't have said "rules out". You are correct, there are a many CDPs that offer variable volume control. I believe older Denon and Ah! Tjoeb, to name a couple. That's a nice work around for controling volume. However, the way it works is by attenuating sound and it gets progressively less dynamic the more you turn down the digital gain volume. Not the greatest solution, but it works in a pinch (so does the pause button on any remote). I have Dynaco with variable output that I keep cranked. For a new CDP with volume your looking in the neighborhood of $600+ (ouch!). Jay's been pretty quiet here. Maybe he doesn't need remotable volume. In which case, it's a mute point. 2.gif