need a new computer

iwillwalk

What I said at first was completely wrong no they are not completely equal. But the core operating system is the same. I was not clear on what I said, and for that I appologize.

http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/unix/

Just read that, they obviously know more than everyone else here, they made the OS.

But, I doubt Apple would plaster "Based on UNIX" everywhere. If they had no relation....

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

iwillwalk,

Good lord you ask the peeps here what brand they prefer and some start with freeBSD,freeBS and freePOS! LOL

First things first,E-Machines,inexpensive brand names are GARBAGE.Unless all you want to do is type some texts and browse the NET.

Line one poster wrote you are better off to buy from a store where they can custom build a PC to YOUR needs.You start with what you need and later if there is a need to upgrade for gaming or another more intensive/dsemanding application(s) you add what you need.

A great starter system can be based around a P4 2.8Ghz CPU,with 256MB DDR400 RAM.On a Intel or ASUS with the Intel 865 chipset.Stay AWAY from SIS and VIA as they are NOT as compatible and trouble free as Intel chipsets.

For video card you can take a MOBO with an integrated as long as you have an open AGP8X slot for future expansion.

In hard drives look for a Western Digital or Seagate 80GB or larger with 8MB cache.Maxtor and IBM drives are not as trouble free as WD and Seagate.

SCSI drives are a waste of money unless you need maximum performance and the machine runns 24/7(server duty).SATA performance is almost identical to IDE besides the two Western Raptor 10K drives(36 and 74GB fastest drive by far save for 15K SCSI)

Sound card any on board solution will do if you do not plan to use your PC as multimedia console,if you want high quality sound go for the Audigy 2 or Revo.

Any system will have on board LAN 10/100 so you are fine for high speed internet and networking.Some upscale MOBO's come with 10/100/1000 chips,not needed unless you have a large network or machine is a larger server.

----------------

On 2/21/2004 6:29:08 PM heretic wrote:

I wouldn't put a PC on someone's desk whose main thing is publishing with InDesign and Illustrator and Photoshop.

My US$0.02, FWIW.

----------------

Why not? I use PC and run Photoshop just fine. Never had an issue one with any graphics application running on PC. From MS Paint to 3D Studio Max... Never had an issue one.

----------------

On 2/23/2004 3:56:01 PM m00n wrote:

----------------

On 2/21/2004 6:29:08 PM heretic wrote:

I wouldn't put a PC on someone's desk whose main thing is publishing with InDesign and Illustrator and Photoshop.

My US$0.02, FWIW.

----------------

Why not? I use PC and run Photoshop just fine. Never had an issue one with any graphics application running on PC. From MS Paint to 3D Studio Max... Never had an issue one.

----------------

Graphics work is not quite the same as publishing. I work for a publisher, where I support a 50/50 mix of Macs and PCs running a range of desktop publishing apps. In the publishing world, which has long been primarily a Mac domain, the Mac stuff just works better. Font solutions and output device support are especially mature on the Mac platform, not so much yet on the PC. They are getting better year by year, though, and eventually there will be no real difference.

For true GRAPHICS, sure, there's no real advantage of one over the other. If you're going to take your work and submit it to a publisher, you're going to give them a PostScript file or a PDF that is platform-agnostic. Here at the publisher, some machines work better than others for getting your digital data onto film or plate and then onto paper. Those machines aren't generally running Windows. 1.gif

I agree with everything The Ear said. Except, I feel if your going to get close a 3Ghz computer. I would cough up the extra green for 512 ram. It makes a HUGE difference, especially if your running Windows XP.

I have had very very good luck with Asus motherboards. They even had very close to the best benchmark test a little over a year ago.

I made a very inexpensive computer with a Asus nForce Board. Inegrated audio/video/network. GeForce 2 isn't bad for a integrated video card. Plus, integrated Dolby Digital on the sound card.... Can't beat that.

Also, the nForce leaves plenty of room to upgrade for the future. I highly recommended the old nForce boards from about a year ago, I would look into them now if you decide to build your own PC.

I've been a Mac person since '95. Having started with a dog slow Road Apple 6200, then to iMacDV 400 and now to an eMac G4 700mhz. Along the way I've picked up an LC, IIc, 6400, and a still almost used daily a 9600 G4/450, the most expandable Mac ever. This past Christams our teenage sons wanted a Windows computer for gaming with games not available or only older versions were available for the Mac. So I started researching everything. We decided to get one from a local store. I went to Circuit City's website which has buyer reviews and guess what eMachines were getting higher reviews than anything else they had. So I reserched even deeper and come to find out eMachines had made a huge turnaround when a new CEO or someone took over. They decided to use name brand components and motherboards. The unit we went with was a T2825, AMD2800+, 64mb of shared GeForce2MX, 512mb of PC2700 ram, Western Digital 120 gig 7200 rpm harddrive, an FIC motherboard(with an 8x AGP slot available when we need it), Lite-On 48x burner, JVC DVD reader and an 8 in 1 card reader for $620. The only downfall I could find was the 250 watt power supply. It was rated higher than HP, Compac and Sony. So I said what the heck, run the crap out of it 24 hours a day for 14 days, the return period at Circuit City, and see what happens. Guess what it's still chugging along without any problems. I also searched newgroups and todays eMachines aren't the same as yesterdays junk. I'm not sure what effect the recent Gateway buyout will have on eMachines. I'm still a Mac addict at heart. I've used the eMachines quite a bit but still find it easier to get things done on the Macs. With all of Apples i-apps available it's almost a win-win combination, iCal, iMovie, iTunes, iPhoto, iDVD, iChat. With free apps like PixelNhance and QuickimageCM I can do almost anything I need to do right out of the box from Apple without spending an extra dime. Now if Apple would just bump up the G5's proceesor soon I might would look at getting a new tower but the $800 eMac with the DVD/CDRW drive or the $1100 eMac with the Superdrive DVD writer would also serve most people just fine.

Grateful

----------------

On 2/19/2004 4:17:30 PM nicholtl wrote:

What will you be using it for?

----------------

Hmmmmm....this, the second response, is the ONLY response that was directed to iwillwalk. Hmmm interesting...sad too... Seems like people want to climb their favorite soapbox instead of looking to the real problem.

My home computer is used for shopping, surfing and e-mail...A whole different environment than what I need for work.

----------------

On 2/19/2004 4:15:35 PM iwillwalk wrote:

what brand would you recomend?

----------------

since you're on this forum, and you appreciate quality I would say SKIP all the name brands that you've heard and head one place.

ALIENWARE

trust me. they make the best systems around, anywhere period. This is a non-issue to any hardcore gamer or tweaker that hasn't already built their own system. If gamers and power users like them, they are the most stable things out there.

the only thing that even comes somewhat close to them is FALCON NORTHWEST

----------------

On 2/23/2004 9:29:23 PM RFinco wrote:

----------------

On 2/19/2004 4:15:35 PM iwillwalk wrote:

what brand would you recomend?

----------------

since you're on this forum, and you appreciate quality I would say SKIP all the name brands that you've heard and head one place.

ALIENWARE

trust me. they make the best systems around, anywhere period. This is a non-issue to any hardcore gamer or tweaker that hasn't already built their own system. If gamers and power users like them, they are the most stable things out there.

the only thing that even comes somewhat close to them is FALCON NORTHWEST

----------------

In spite of the fact that I might be generating an ECHO here...I will repeat....

WHY THE FLOCK AREN'T YOU GUYS ASKING IWILLWALK WHAT HE NEEDS This type of "egocentric" posting is rather lame.