The Beauty of the Reference Series

bchild311

Other than the cones, the RF-7's don't have any visual redeming qualities IMO. None of the current stuff does....It's all black....I like the oiled oak finishes of yester year, they just do so much more for me. On top of that, they sound absolutly beautiful. I have heard the RF-7 with all of it's compliments that go with it and was very impressed with the sound, I still would't trade my Chorus II's for a pair though.

Nice system.

----------------

On 2/21/2004 10:05:41 PM Freak On A Leash wrote:

Other than the cones, the RF-7's don't have any visual redeming qualities IMO. None of the current stuff does....It's all black....I like the oiled oak finishes of yester year, they just do so much more for me.

----------------

The RF-7s are not all black. You can get them in cherry or maple also. I've seen a pair of the cherry ones, and I thought they look gorgeous. Make me wish I've gotten mine in cherry instead of the black, but the friggan deelar here wanted $200 more. I went with black.

----------------

On 2/23/2004 11:25:45 PM skonopa wrote:

The RF-7s are not all black. You can get them in cherry or maple also. I've seen a pair of the cherry ones, and I thought they look gorgeous. Make me wish I've gotten mine in cherry instead of the black, but the friggan deelar here wanted $200 more. I went with black.

----------------

What about the maple?? Sometimes at least better than black(all the electronics, monitor, laptop, desktop cases are all BLACK)..... the cherry color is still the best i've seen tho.... I've them as RB-5II 9.gif .

It's interesting to me how anti-black everyone seems to be in the forum. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate a nice wood finish as much as the next guy, but black certainly has it's advantages. Our house is designed pretty contemporary too which is probably why I chose black.

I'd love to see some images of some nice cherry or mahogany finishes in the reference series. Anyone?

----------------

On 2/24/2004 12:56:48 AM bchild311 wrote:

I'd love to see some images of some nice cherry or mahogany finishes in the reference series. Anyone?

----------------

Dammit...if I had a digital camera I could make your wildest dreams come true.

No not THAT. Cherry RF-7's I meant.

WOW dantfmly... seeing a beautiful pair of KLF-20's is a Legend pleasure... seeing an opportunity for a KLF-20 "horizontalized" center is a Legend treasure! Your set up is far better for music CD's than it is for movie DVD's... in music, most of the sound comes from the left and right mains... with DVD's upwards of 75% of all sound comes out of the front center! There is nothing like a truly timbre-matched front array and no improvement to your sound system better than a center that can match your right and left mains.

Your entertainment center would appear to hold a horizontalized KLF-20 with ease... and the results will delight you more than you can imagine. While my 6.1 theater uses all KLF-30's... there are many on this Forum who have KLF-20's with the center KLF-20 customized with a new motorboard.

The process is relatively simple. A piece of MDF (4' x 8' sheet is less than $20 at Home Depot... MDF is what your KLF-20's are made of) with speaker holes cut out and routed is all it takes. For your rig, mount the midrange and tweeter horns in the center and flank them with the woofers as close as you can. This makes a narrower center channel angle that fits the closeness of your left and right mains.

Of course, picking up KLF-20's for the rear array in a 6.1 system completes the ideal KLF-20 Legend Theater. Granted the rear array doesn't get as much play... but when it does it will be the same quality as the front array... and that gives a level of realism that timbre-mismatched systems cannot begin to achieve.

This approach works for any level of quality speakers... my hero, Q-Man, for example has a custom built timbre-matched system that features Klipschorns... an example that I followed prior to building my six KLF-30 theater in the round (30' diameter circular room home theater). My next project will probably be a seven Klipschorn Theater with inverted LaScala front effects speakers in a free standing building. There is no sonic experience quite like a perfectly set-up horn loaded one!

Please forgive my waxing ecstatic over your photo... but two Legends without an equal in the center just fill me with the excitement of sharing the ecstasy that is so near to you. Whew, I need a Legend Theater fix... it's time to soar with the Eagles as "Hell Freezes Over" (a DVD with ethereal 6.1 sound editing). =HornEd

PS: A Reference Theater featuring all RF-7's (including hoizontalized front center and rear array) is also a turn-on to my Klipsch HornEd head.

Oops, fini, I thought I not only did but responded as well. Perhaps in the flurry of recent activities (not to mention a rash of health challenges as I try to push the envelope... will I ever learn?). I received your email directly and I believe your latest PM is a copy of that. If I didn't actually respond... I did mentally respond. Hmm, that's how I got to enjoy your mother-in-law's Italian cuisine... I grew up in a Tuscan neighborhood transplanted to Northern California... and the childhood memories are now attached to your wife's mom!

Hmmm, I better get with it and respond before I start treating Kassandra in my mind... Yep, good thing I have employees that pick up her weekly floral display... things get so good between my ears that sometimes I forget how wonderful external reality can be. Hmmmm... then again, I think of trattorias that I knew and loved... here and in Italy... but now it seems that my only choices are Lucca, Italy, and Nonna's kitchen!

I met with a delightful Hungarian chef and his artist wife who would like to join our community. He has "Old World"... make it from scratch... cuisine skills... like those studied in France a few decades ago. They are from Budapest... a city I visited on a World Health Organization project when it was behind the Iron Curtain... and Lazlo and Kata were not yet born! I treated them to "American Rhapsody" in the Klipsch Legend Theater... as you may know, it's a flick about escape from Hungary to the USA... and as they now know... living in my community gives them access to a Klipsch fix at least twice a week! Ah, the things we Klipschophiles will do to get a good meal without preparing it ourselves!

Actually, should one of my crew see this post, be advised that we also have Billy the Executive Chef of a local country club (where Lazlo works full time) who rules our kitchen on Wednesday and Thursday. Lazlo will be taking Monday and Tuesday suppers. Our head chef, Brandy, who was recently written up (along with our restaurant) in the local paper, handles Friday, Saturday and Sunday. And, yes, the restaurant has an above average sound system... plus a pro PA system that is the delight of the live bands that play here just about every Saturday (we have one DJ Saturday per month)... and the guest acoustic soloists that perform at throughout Sunday dinner in the winter.

Fair weather brings out our eclectic Sunday afternoon concerts on the lawn series. Musical tastes range from Down-home Bluegrass to rockin' Groovy Judy... with a goodly dash of traditional "pops", classical and folk along the way. With so much high quality live sound, nothing but the live sound of Klipsch could do justice to our theater. Actually, the theater guests are personal guests of mine and the movies shown are all in my DVD collection... which has grown a bit to accommodate a wider taste in movies. Fortunately, one of our members hosts one of the most comprehensive movie web sites around... well, at least according to the survivor of one famous movie critic duo.

So, my Forum friends, I am alive and reasonably well, and living out the Joy of Klipsch in a beautiful, wooded, mountain setting... 20 miles from the Pacific Ocean beaches... and 1,500' from the San Andrea's Fault (which claimed the original clubhouse in the 1989 Loma Prieta earthquake). Oops, maybe I should rethink the new subwoofers... =HornEd

PS: fini, I got the email but what's this about your PMS? 8.gif

----------------

On 2/24/2004 9:27:42 AM HornEd wrote:

Oops, fini, I thought I not only did but responded as well. Perhaps in the flurry of recent activities (not to mention a rash of health challenges as I try to push the envelope... will I ever learn?). I received your email directly and I believe your latest PM is a copy of that. If I didn't actually respond... I did mentally respond. Hmm, that's how I got to enjoy your mother-in-law's Italian cuisine... I grew up in a Tuscan neighborhood transplanted to Northern California... and the childhood memories are now attached to your wife's mom!

Hmmm, I better get with it and respond before I start treating Kassandra in my mind... Yep, good thing I have employees that pick up her weekly floral display... things get so good between my ears that sometimes I forget how wonderful external reality can be. Hmmmm... then again, I think of trattorias that I knew and loved... here and in Italy... but now it seems that my only choices are Lucca, Italy, and Nonna's kitchen!

I met with a delightful Hungarian chef and his artist wife who would like to join our community. He has "Old World"... make it from scratch... cuisine skills... like those studied in France a few decades ago. They are from Budapest... a city I visited on a World Health Organization project when it was behind the Iron Curtain... and Lazlo and Kata were not yet born! I treated them to "American Rhapsody" in the Klipsch Legend Theater... as you may know, it's a flick about escape from Hungary to the USA... and as they now know... living in my community gives them access to a Klipsch fix at least twice a week! Ah, the things we Klipschophiles will do to get a good meal without preparing it ourselves!

Actually, should one of my crew see this post, be advised that we also have Billy the Executive Chef of a local country club (where Lazlo works full time) who rules our kitchen on Wednesday and Thursday. Lazlo will be taking Monday and Tuesday suppers. Our head chef, Brandy, who was recently written up (along with our restaurant) in the local paper, handles Friday, Saturday and Sunday. And, yes, the restaurant has an above average sound system... plus a pro PA system that is the delight of the live bands that play here just about every Saturday (we have one DJ Saturday per month)... and the guest acoustic soloists that perform at throughout Sunday dinner in the winter.

Fair weather brings out our eclectic Sunday afternoon concerts on the lawn series. Musical tastes range from Down-home Bluegrass to rockin' Groovy Judy... with a goodly dash of traditional "pops", classical and folk along the way. With so much high quality live sound, nothing but the live sound of Klipsch could do justice to our theater. Actually, the theater guests are personal guests of mine and the movies shown are all in my DVD collection... which has grown a bit to accommodate a wider taste in movies. Fortunately, one of our members hosts one of the most comprehensive movie web sites around... well, at least according to the survivor of one famous movie critic duo.

So, my Forum friends, I am alive and reasonably well, and living out the Joy of Klipsch in a beautiful, wooded, mountain setting... 20 miles from the Pacific Ocean beaches... and 1,500' from the San Andrea's Fault (which claimed the original clubhouse in the 1989 Loma Prieta earthquake). Oops, maybe I should rethink the new subwoofers... =HornEd

PS: fini, I got the email but what's this about your PMS?
8.gif

----------------

you should have seen the center about two weeks ago when i still had a kv-2 for a center. it was pathetic for the klf-20's. as for those modes that would be fine, but it is hard to find just one klf-20. i did try to get a klf-c7 center channel, but a had a four hundred dollar budget to stick to. and every bid i had in on one keep just barley creeping past that. So i then decided to go with the RC-3II It does not match up perfectly, but it is a whole lot better then the kv-2 I replaced., and it does a very respectable job. and you are right i do have it set up more for music. 95% of what i do is listen to music. But when i went to watch the ocational movie the center just sounded like crap.

I appreciate your enthusiasm in the continuing search for a system that plays great music and greater DVD's! Fortunately, unless you're in the Athens Audio Club, a little bit of knowledge can go farther than a whole lot of cash in making a better consumer stereo environment. It's great to have a Forum like this one where folks can share good (and sometimes bad) ideas.

And, yes, Zebrawood does indeed make a striking speaker veneer. I have some carved Zebrawood items that I use with my Renaissance gear... they never fail to provide interesting conversation. Maybe someday I will get lucky and find six or seven Zebrawood Klipschorns to make an exotic theater. Ah, yes, no matter the project's past... the lure of the next Klipsch Theater looms larger each day! =HornEd