Line attenuators

kdepot

This is a similar question to one I posted in another thread so sorry for the repetition...When using my newly acquired Belles I've come up with the problem of too much gain/speaker efficiency and needing to set the volume control too low in its range for low noise/good volume control tracking. Best performance in a volume control is obtained when the control is past it's midway position. Is there a simple reversible mod to get around this and what solutions have others used in this situation. It must happen to others using Klipsches.

Assume that none of your suggestions is possible. What would be the best way to perform a simple reversible mod to amp or preamp to reduce the gain to allow the volume control to be used midway in its range. I dont consider replacement of the volume control with a different value to be in the category of simple and easily reversible mods.

Pre: ARC SP3a-1

amp: variety of amps without gain controls, Moscode 300, mod. Dyna MKIII, Citation II, Citation 12

I have a small program that calculates pads (balanced or unbalanced). You input three values: input impedance/output impedance/ db of attenuation. It shows you the value of resistors to construct the pad. It works like a champ. THe business that had it doesn't list it anymore. It is under 200k if you want it. I'll email it to you.

Marvel

If none of Mark's solutions are possible, there is another way without making mods.

Take a look at the EQs I use. Each of the DBX products has variable gain controls that allow you to adjust the output signal into the amplifier individually per channel.

Alot of folks don't like EQs on this forum. But I have had great results and swear by them. The DBX models below are decent units.

----------------

On 2/22/2004 10:01:20 PM mark1101 wrote:

If none of Mark's solutions are possible, there is another way without making mods.

Take a look at the EQs I use. Each of the DBX products has variable gain controls that allow you to adjust the output signal into the amplifier individually per channel.

Alot of folks don't like EQs on this forum. But I have had great results and swear by them. The DBX models below are decent units.

----------------

Indeed, I use a Furman Q-602 on my rig to ever-so-slightly attenuate my Onkyo. Doesn't affect the sound to any audible degree (I've A/B'ed it extensively)

Ironically, I originally bought it to attempt a "room correction" - until I realized that the room was so far out of whack, there was no avoiding extensive acoustic treatments.

I too use the EQs ever so slightly. Switching the unit on/off you can just barely hear a difference. In other words I'm very careful with the gain controls. Obviously distortion could be an issue.

However, the source material I play is old Dead music and generally less than optimal recordings with large variations in the quality and sound levels.

The EQs are perfect for bringing those type of recordings up to snuff and helping with the room when I want to "have a moment" and thump a little.

When I play a new SACD or newly recorded Redbook, it's pure heaven with or without the EQs. But that's not what I do most of the time. So the EQs are a very handy tool for the 60s and 70s tunes.

#1 you'll not find to may 2 channel die hards putting an EQ into the signal path.

#2 anything you do is just masking the real problem ( like padding )

#3 chances are pretty good you have to much gain in your pre-amp

Solution = bad selection of components for such sensitive gear. changeing your pre-amp is the olny real " fix " .