does anyone know anything about music relating to physical health?

prodj101

well anyway in my health class we have to pick a topic and research it, then write a 7-9 page paper on how it relates to health. Considering how much I like music, the first thing that came to mind was how it could relate to physical health. I know I've read places that it can lower blood pressure and have several other positive effects as well as raise blood pressure and instigate negative feelings. Does anyone know how exactly music does these things? Are there specific frequencies or rythmical patterns that cause a change in human behavior?

Barry White is known to have an aphrodisiac effect on woman. 2.gif Could be a combonation of voice tone and lyrics though.

Chi Coltrane on the female side.- Can you say "seductive"13.gif

Give me 10 mins and I'll drop the needle on some Judas Priest, if I don't return you'll know what happened. 14.gif

I really like the sound of steel drums- promotes that warm, tropical holiday feeling of relaxation.

Some horticulturists are known to play soothing music for their flora and fauna.

thanks guys....way too many people do MJ, I think theres 5 in my class alone doing it. I thought my chances of getting a good gread would be better if I did something unique. Has anyone here ever used this plug in for winamp that makes the music pulse in a patter than is supposed to relax or energize you? I've tried it before and it really did seem to have an effect when used wit hheadphones, though I'm not sure if it wasn't just a placebo.

Proj-

There should be a ****load of info on this and actually it should be a rather fun paper to write.

Considering the fact that today the conservative factions of the populace have won their political battles and have forced/coerced music distributers to put labels on CDs citing "explicit lyrics". Their arguments were largely based on the fact that these explicit lyrics degraded the moral fiber of youth and promoted agressive behavior and violence. This to me is bogus...when was the last time you picked a book and it had a "explicit language" label posted to it.

Then look at the yuppie populace that are buying headphones that extend over a 8-9 month pregnant woman's belly to provide musical interaction in the womb, so that perhaps a Baby Bach will be born...(Yeah right, more likely that Baby E.F. Hutton will be born)

Then look at the initial onslaught of "Rock-N-Roll" (The 50s) and the depravity it was supposed to cause because of it's suggestive sexual nature due to the beat. Now it's Rap in the 21st century that is going cause depravity and the downfall of the human race.

Also look at audio-deprivation therapy, where "complete silence" is considered healing and mind elevating.

Throw in some personal touches on how music affects you personally...

Lastly, remember cliches exist because they are generally correct....

"Music soothes the savage beast"

P.S.

Remember when looking at data from studies one key thing "WHITE MICE ALWAYS DIE OF CANCER". The last official non-cancer related death of a white mouse occured simultaneously with the death of the last passenger pigeon.

Great idea Prodj...

Assuming some of the obvious... You can have dance beat music at specific BPM used for work out programs... Slow relaxing at first for stretches...working up to an intense workout then back down again.

Lots of music used for walking.. again to follow the BPM and length too.

The famous Bell Cannon for years has been used in stress busters CD's... New age from the late 1980s created a whole spectrum of "calming music"

I personally would love to hear what you come up with.

Kinda like listening to the song "Perfect Day" on a great sunny Friday am...heading off to work from the movie Legally Blonde. That, and "That Thing You Do" from the same movie... Have to those kinda songs you love with the windows down cranked up go out n make the sale attitude day!!

==================================================================

Considering the fact that today the conservative factions of the populace have won their political battles and have forced/coerced music distributors to put labels on CDs citing "explicit lyrics."

Um.... That was Tipper Gore... You remember, the uptight democrat wife of the guy that lost in the last election. (I always wondered why MTV/Viacom did not say look if this guy wins..and his wife gets even more power... we will not be able to do anything on CD's or movies/tv. ) Nothing to do with Conservative Republicans. (Granted a conservative thought maybe, but not the facts). And I agree, it is silly and probably more like an "R" rated movie makes it more popular. (Throw in Marylin Mansons "the beautiful people cranked or "Welcome to the Jungle" by Guns n Roses also works for me..LOL. Now Walmart and other artists having to make "clean" versions of their songs... In order to get product on WMT's shelves... THAT, I have a problem with.

The headphones over the baby during pregnancy are in fact speakers. Called "Baby Plus" while not musical per se' more like sounds resembling a beat of the heart/drum to energize and stimulate the unborn child's mind. It does this by getting faster and more complex each week. We were/are a test couple for this.. So in what, 16-20 yrs get back to us..LOL. Like a lot of couples we would do anything to help enrich our kids lives to be successful later in life. We know we can prove kids into music, especially playing an instrument or participating in choirs, do better in math and science and are able to express themselves better in English too. Besides... Yuppie or not, we got paid to do it too. And so far the proof is in our daughter...barely 2 1/2 can count to 20 on her own, knows her shapes colors ABC's with just a little help now and then..LOL.. We will see.

http://www.babyplus.com/

As far as rock n roll, each generation basically in every 10-20 yr. span seems to "find and define their music" too in history. Times are shorter now IMO too. I can tell you there have been times... when an artist at the right time has left a mark on our culture that seems to really resonate a lot of people. Elvis, The Beatles (The Backstreet Boys/ NSYNC boy band of the 60's..LOL) CSNY If you can't be with the one you love baby.. love the one your with... Heck even Nirvanas smells like teen spirit...or Alanis Morrisetts Jagged little pill CD OMG just really changed things a lot.

Sit through the Rock N Roll hall of fame, like I have, and just listen to all of the tunes through the years in the media exibit gives you chills.

Anyhow getting off topic.. Let us know Prodj how we can help??

My friend the Witch Doctor

He taught me what to say

My friend the Witch Doctor

He taught me what to do

I know that you'll be mine

When I say this to you

cannibal.gif

He said:

Ooo eee,ooo ah ah

Ting Tang

Walla walla, bing bang

Ooo eee ooo ah ah ting tang

Walla walla Bing Bang.

Ooo eee,ooo ah ah

Ting Tang

Walla walla, bing bang

Ooo eee ooo ah ah ting tang

Walla walla Bing Bang.

Indy - I think that you have been "white ratted out"...Another meaninless study.

According to your post....

Like a lot of couples we would do anything to help enrich our kids lives to be successful later in life. We know we can prove kids into music, especially playing an instrument or participating in choirs, do better in math and science and are able to express themselves better in English too. Besides... Yuppie or not, we got paid to do it too. And so far the proof is in our daughter...barely 2 1/2 can count to 20 on her own, knows her shapes colors ABC's with just a little help now and then..LOL.. We will see.

There is no doubt in my mind that the early successes of your daughter are due to your and your wifes willingness to provide meaningful input and proper attention to your child. I think that I can safely assume that you don't use the TV as a babysitter. I think that you can attribute the early development to the abundance of love and attention.

I would be willing to venture a guess that the monetary offer and invitation to participate in the study was not extended to couples that were already stressed in respect of the time that they had to offer or to couples that were more concerned with the bare-bones survival aspects of their lives.

Hey Mandi - Look Prodj IS doing is homework...9.gif

prodj, good to see you getting down to the musical side of health! Since I have just spent about $14k on a custom killer PA and DJ system I thought I might make some comments on how our pro DJ's at the club handle keeping our members happy.

Since our membership has a huge cultural array spanning years and continents, putting together a great DJ dance is a challenge. While we have live bands three times to each DJ offering... DJ's are popular because a wide variety of favorites can hit their ears and move their feet.

The interesting bit is that initially, one can see the cross-cultural, and cross-music era aspects in the joy or dissapointment of various people. But, since we tend to have a happy crowd, before the evening is over everyone seems to be dancing to everything!

During the day, we have a rather nice 5.1 system that was engineered to provide "background" music that seems to float above the conversations. It is interesting how the choice of music can pump-up or weird-out folks in the restaurant. With your DJ experience, it would be interesting if you could do some surveys based on playing different styles of music to the same lunch crowd Monday through Friday... and get an exit poll on the experience.

As you know as a pro DJ, the big thing is knowing your music so well that you can fathom the mood of the crowd and beat match something to make the mood smile and dance. Yes, indeed, I bet a lot of us here on the Forum would like to hear the results of something like that. Here's to your Health... may it be an "A" on the charts. -HornEd

Woodstock stage.jpg

"Hows everyone dooooooooooing out there. YEAH!

Alright, alright. We have a few festival announcements.

Horn Ed would like you people to get off the towers.

Please, please get off the towers. Its for your own safety.

There were 2 babies born here today. Give them a big hand.

No More Rain! No More Rain! No More Rain! Alright!

Other than that Ed wants you all of you to share his love of music!

We are now officially a city. A true community. We are one.

We, we, we. Are EDSTOCK!!! PEACE and LOVE."

Indy - I think that you have been "white ratted out"...Another meaninless study.

-----------------------------------------------------------

As opposed to black ratted out? LOL We shall see.

---------------------------------------------------------

According to your post....

Like a lot of couples we would do anything to help enrich our kids lives to be successful later in life. We know we can prove kids into music, especially playing an instrument or participating in choirs, do better in math and science and are able to express themselves better in English too. Besides... Yuppie or not, we got paid to do it too. And so far the proof is in our daughter...barely 2 1/2 can count to 20 on her own, knows her shapes colors ABC's with just a little help now and then..LOL.. We will see.

---------------------------------------------------------------

There is no doubt in my mind that the early successes of your daughter are due to your and your wifes willingness to provide meaningful input and proper attention to your child. I think that I can safely assume that you don't use the TV as a babysitter. I think that you can attribute the early development to the abundance of love and attention.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Very true to the above. Although early Einstein dvd's seemed to keep her attention too. Yes, we read to her daily, sing together do crafts and I feel put a lot of love and care into it too. She LOVES books beyond expression, and yes you only get one shot as a parent we plan to do all we can too. ( Took us 5 years and 2 misscarriages to get our first one. The second just showed up Feb 19,2004!! LOL)

----------------------------------------------------------------

I would be willing to venture a guess that the monetary offer and invitation to participate in the study was not extended to couples that were already stressed in respect of the time that they had to offer or to couples that were more concerned with the bare-bones survival aspects of their lives.

------------------------------------------------------------------

The monetary gift was extended only after our baby was born and we simply filled out a questionair. They sent us a more detailed one and we got some cash, not a big amount, but worth the time. We used baby plus based on results from friends of ours. They seemed to have great success with it. Our doctor also said he had patients that seemed to like it too. Much like on this Bulliten Board, when someone sais... "OK, you have the XYZ line of speaker..... You really might like some of the older Heritage or the new Reference line based on what you like or have told me you like too."

By the way, they give these away at local hospitals here to people to try for free from time to time too. The original kids that used these some 18 yrs ago + - are just getting through college. I guess in a way again, what if it did work..would you not try it too? We give our kids shots to protect them from disease.... Kinda like OK, you have a big room.. say 24 feet by 18... Hmm a K horns would be great. (To a person who has never heard one in a big room, on the long wall in a rectangle..wow, a K horn is awesome.)

I did not want to imply that I made lots of $$ from this, or I am connected with the company in any way. I am not. I posted it to ProDj in hopes he could see another aspect to his paper. After all his topic was, "Are there specific frequencies or rythmical patterns that cause a change in human behavior?"

If you go to the site, there is a lot of info on it too.

I know a guy here in town that is rumored to be one of the top brains in the country as far as sound/reproduction/quality/accoustics is concerned. He will not mow his own yard because he can't afford to damage his ears. He told me a few months ago that he knew guys that were academics that wrote papers about the field, who went to work for Bose, and were never heard from again, at least not in writing. He is of the opinion that Bose has figured out how to tune/design their speakers so they affect the pleasure zones in our bodies. He said that he was friends with a professor that did work for the Swedes, developing weapons that use sound. He said there is a sound/volume/tone that will make you throw up your lunch uncontrollably. I have heard that the large soccer staduims now have huge woofers that produce certian freq.'s and volumes that will cause you to lose control of your bowels. Both of these would make it hard to aim a gun or riot on the field if you were heaving or squirting. He said that he honestly believes that Bose has figuired out how to cause their speakers to affect our bodies to release endorphines so that after listening to them, you feel better. How else can you explain their sales? It isn't the sound to the ear that pleases. Good luck with the paper. It sounds interesting. I was going to do a study in high school by hooking an ekg up to people and having them listen to classical music and hard rock and record the difference. The local clinic refused to loan me the ekg. I ended up doing a survey on the effects of divorce on highschool students.

----------------

On 2/27/2004 5:49:45 PM mandi wrote:

you have almost posted an average of 10 posts a day. I hope if this is a highschool health class that you are putting just as much effort into your grades as you are this forum.

YES, YOU CAN TAKE A GUESS AS TO MY PROFESSION

----------------

?I only have 5 posts a day....thanks again for all the responses.

----------------

On 2/28/2004 12:44:52 AM wrench_peddler wrote:

I know a guy here in town that is rumored to be one of the top brains in the country as far as sound/reproduction/quality/accoustics is concerned. He will not mow his own yard because he can't afford to damage his ears. He told me a few months ago that he knew guys that were academics that wrote papers about the field, who went to work for Bose, and were never heard from again, at least not in writing. He is of the opinion that Bose has figured out how to tune/design their speakers so they affect the pleasure zones in our bodies.----------------

I knew a guy like that once. He never mowed his grass either. He harvested it.9.gif And then then was a relative of mine like dat that DID mow his own grass like duh energizer Bunny. He just kept mowing and mowing and mowing and mowing and mowing.The funny thing is there was never anything wrong with his hearing. You could drop a tissue on the ground behind this guys back and he'd jump 10 feet off the ground. Pretty amazin'. Don't ya think? BOING!~! Whoa! There he goes again. He just loves surprises.2.gif

The most interesting thing that I've heard on this subject was that the pace of music directly affects your heartbeat rate (and thus, in response, many other biological functions). In other words, music that has a beat that is FASTER than your heart rate (approx. 60 beats-per-minute) will AUTOMATICALLY increase your heart rate and thus produce a "hyper" effect on your body, physically and psychologically. Vice-versa for music that is "slower" than a your heart rate. Note that this effect would also depend upon just where your heart rate is to begin with, and of course different people have different heart rates depending on genetics, recent levels of activity, physical conditioning. etc.

That's why "mellow" music tends to relax you, and fast music tends to make you want to dance, etc. And I assume we all know what "sexual" music refers to (interesting that men and women find different beat paces to be sexual...now there's a hot topic...). But I digress.....now, the interesting thing is that this is an inbred, automatic response, which means that it is genetically "programmed" WAY deep in the brainstem (the most basic or "reptilian" part of our brains). Okay, genetically programmed functions are almost always evolutionary driven survival or mating mechanisms, so perhaps some research as to what the probable environmental circustances that led to this

trait would be a interesting topic, certainly worthy of at least a B+........