How do I connect things??????

ptony619

I have read so many different ways to connect everything to a receiver and heard so many different opinions. My Philips 30" widescreen can accept all the video inputs I am needing. Shouldn't all the audio inputs go to the receiver and all the video inputs go to the TV? I have a Yamaha HTR-5660. Can somebody explain where to connect the cables? The Yamaha has 1 digital coax audio input which I plan to connect my digital cable box which only has analog and digital audio outputs. I want to connect my progressive scan DVD player directly to tv using component video cable and optical audio out from dvd player to receiver. I am so confused...please help. If it helps, here is what i am wanting to connect...Philips 30" HDTV ready widescreen 30PW850H, Toshiba DVD/VCR combo which has digital and optical audio outputs, component video output, Yamaha HTR-5660 receiver, digital cable box which just has standard red, white, yellow rca jacks and a digital audio output, and of course I am using all Klipsch speakers (3.1 setup) except for sub. I have all the cables needed(monster). I just need to know how to connect from the components.

It sounds like you already know how you want to hook them up. You will just have to change your video selection via tv remote. Hook up everything like you explained you want it. You benefit from video switching from your receiver usually when you use all s video or if you have a reciever that up conversion to component video then you would be in business. It sounds like your doing the right thing. I probally would hook mine up that way to. So i would get the best picture from my dvd. You could always get composite to s video converters from radio shack for like 25 dollars then hook your sat and vcr to your receiver and run the s monitor out to your tv. This way it would be a little less tv video switching. I hope this helps

So the only benefit of running everything through the receiver is to avoid switching the input on the TV?

Th expense of extra cables and a converter for those who need it (I would) hardly seems worth it instead of just clicking the TV input button once or twice.

Am I missing something?

The only thing I would add is to also connect your

digital cable box audio to your TV. For example, connect

the digital audio out to your reciever and connect your left

and right audio out from your cable to your tv. That way when

you want to watch TV you don't have to turn on your reveiver.

I agree with connecting all video signals to your TV if it

can handle the connections.

Couple things you didn't mention. 1) You didn't mention any kind of Video connection from the cable box, you need that. Also, make sure the cable boxes digital output actually works. I had one about 5-6 years ago that didn't do anything. 2) If you want to use the VCR part of your DVD/VCR combo, you are probably going to need a seperate hook-up for the VCR. Usually they will not play through the component video/optical outputs, you need an analog connection. If you want to record with your VCR, you will need to send some sort of input to the VCR as well.

----------------

On 2/25/2004 12:50:00 AM ptony619 wrote:

I have read so many different ways to connect everything to a receiver and heard so many different opinions. My Philips 30" widescreen can accept all the video inputs I am needing. Shouldn't all the audio inputs go to the receiver and all the video inputs go to the TV? I have a Yamaha HTR-5660. Can somebody explain where to connect the cables? The Yamaha has 1 digital coax audio input which I plan to connect my digital cable box which only has analog and digital audio outputs. I want to connect my progressive scan DVD player directly to tv using component video cable and optical audio out from dvd player to receiver. I am so confused...please help. If it helps, here is what i am wanting to connect...Philips 30" HDTV ready widescreen 30PW850H, Toshiba DVD/VCR combo which has digital and optical audio outputs, component video output, Yamaha HTR-5660 receiver, digital cable box which just has standard red, white, yellow rca jacks and a digital audio output, and of course I am using all Klipsch speakers (3.1 setup) except for sub. I have all the cables needed(monster). I just need to know how to connect from the components.

----------------

Another BB victim, eh?

When I worked there I used to draw out component hookups for people like you who wanted to DIY. My bosses used to give me no end of static about it - "You should sell them installation!"

Here's the simplest way to do it:

Toshiba ---> TV - Component video (DVD) plus Composite video (VCR)

Toshiba ---> Yamaha - Optical (DVD) plus analog (VCR)

Digital Cable Box ---> TV - composite

Digital Cable Box ---> Yamaha - Digital Coax

Digital Cable Box ---> VCR - Composite

In the Yamaha's Input Menu, you'll have to reassign the optical input that defaults to DTV/Cable to some other component (doesn't matter), then reassign the digital coax input (default is CD) to DTV/Cable.

The rest of the audio connections - just pay attention to where you're plugging them in - DVD has a pre-assigned optical connection. VCR has a pre-assigned analog connection.

To make your life easier on the Phillips, go to Video Labeling section of the onscreen menu and shut off all the inputs you won't be using, and label the ones you will be using to their respective sources. You won't be able to shut off the antenna ins like you can on some TV's (like the higher-end Mitsubishis) but it will at least keep your head straight when you're flipping

between inputs.

I sincerely hope your D-Cable box has more than one set of composite outs.

If not, you can just run coax from the wall to the VCR and use it as a second tuner for PIP.

----------------

On 2/25/2004 5:48:21 AM tripod wrote:

So the only benefit of running everything through the receiver is to avoid switching the input on the TV?

Th expense of extra cables and a converter for those who need it (I would) hardly seems worth it instead of just clicking the TV input button once or twice.

Am I missing something?

----------------

You are right on the money and you degrade your signal on top off that. It's nice for the convience and sheer laziness of it.

----------------

On 2/25/2004 2:40:35 PM gcoker wrote:

----------------

On 2/25/2004 2:07:16 PM dougdrake wrote:

Don't you need a video connection from the Yamaha to the TV for the On-Screen display of the Yamaha?

----------------

Yes you are correct and it needs to be composite from your

monitor out. Not Component
6.gif

----------------

The Yammy on-screen displays will show up on any video out. I've done a couple installs with Yammy HTR's where I had to route all the video through the receiver - and no matter which output you use (S, Composite, or Component) the Yammy's on-screen display works just fine.

----------------

On 2/25/2004 10:34:19 PM Griffinator wrote:

BTW - what the hell are they doing with all that RCA crap?

----------------

Hey, now! Not all RCA is crap. I actually think they have some of the better DirecTV receivers. I tried the Sony DirecTV recievers, but did not like them as well as the RCA ones. So, at least for DirecTV, I'll pobably stick with my trusty ol' RCA unit that I have now.

----------------

On 2/25/2004 10:34:19 PM Griffinator wrote:

ROFLMAO!

I've drawn some pictures that look like that. Really. People want to do weird stuff with their equipment sometimes...

BTW - what the hell are they doing with all that RCA crap?

----------------

I dont know. Lets ask this guy.

spaghetti.gif

Hes the one that hooked it all up.

----------------

On 2/25/2004 11:00:17 PM skonopa wrote:

Hey, now! Not all RCA is crap. I actually think they have some of the better DirecTV receivers. I tried the Sony DirecTV recievers, but did not like them as well as the RCA ones. So, at least for DirecTV, I'll pobably stick with my trusty ol' RCA unit that I have now.

----------------

Ironically, both receivers are Phillips. There is an RCA TV and an RCA VCR in that mess, though.