Imaging

Manuel Delaflor

I had my Heresy's close to the front wall, and at about 1 meter from the sides. The imaging was nice, specially with some recordings, I could hear the "ambience" on some Classical music concerts that I really like. But it was not "holographic". For that I had the idea I needed some small bookshelfs, with a really stiff cabinet. But I didnt wanted to lose any dynamics or detail in order to achieve it.

But yesterday I changed the position of my Heresy's, now they are at about 1.5 meters from the side walls and from the front wall.

Wow.

Sonic Holography.

Im amazed on how much S P A C E Im gaining with this new arrangement. I have no words to express how holographic is my system now. Im simply amazed and VERY happy, listening since yesterday for hours and just about every recording sounds incredible.

Now, I wonder if good old BIG Horns can do this? For instance, Khorns are stuck in the corners of the room, and Cornwalls and others are simply to big to place them towards the center of the room.

Wanna tell me some of your experiences?

Manuel,

Those are some of the trade-offs we must choose in life. Depth of sound stage Vs realism and quickness from the bass to the treble. Khorns stuck in the corner still blow away the Heresys.

My Heresy's are about four feet from the side walls and three feet from the back. Angled up and toed in toward the listening position. They are nice sounding "small" speakers especially with the SW-15 on the bottom. But, they don't approach the size of the sound from the Klipschorns!1.gif

i found that the toe-in/out was critical for my klf-30's. they are about 10ft. apart on a 12ft. wall, and i sit about 13ft. back. when i got them toed properly,i got a SOLID 'center soundstage', yet hear sounds coming from beyond the left and right walls they are next to.

avman.

... guess imaging is not the hottest topic around... 3.gif

For a set of speakers to have spooky imaging they most be far from any wall or corner, in this way the room helps them to create an incredible sense of physical, tridimensional space in the recordings.

I think (but I can be wrong of course) than from the Heritage line, the only speakers that are able to draw this kind of effect are the Heresy's, because their size.

My cornwalls can also. I have mine on the long wall and get a wonderful soundstage. If I pull them out a couple feet, the soundstage gets much deeper. It's not very convenient to leave them that way though. You're right, it's easier to move the heresys around. They sound great, just not as good as their big brothers.

Speaker placement is probably the number one "tweak" you can do to your system. If your really enjoying it, right or wrong, keep enjoying it. If you do plan to tweak it further, keep a record of how you had them in case you want to go back.

Heresy's were my very first Klispch speaker. I have not heard them since around '83 or so. I'd like to aquire another pair to use as monitors for Jazz licks.

- tb

My Cornwalls are away from both walls(back and side), 2 feet to 2 1/2 feet. As a general rule, I have found that the closer the speaker is to the wall, the more bass, the further from the wall the more soundstage. Start moving in 6" increments and when the sound doesn't "improve" start going in the opposite direction by 2". I find that even a 1" change can make a difference in the bass and soundstage with my Cornwalls.

Just my two cents based on what I have tried and heard.

This is an interesting topic. Just before finding this thread I was reading an article on Decware's site http://www.decware.com/new%20site/mainmenu.htm.

My Cornwall's are out from the long wall about 2-1/2 feet and toed in with spikes on a concrete slab. The room is probably marginal at best with a high ceiling and three large opening to other rooms, two of them on the back wall. The sound I get is amazing. The imaging probably could be improved. I wonder how proficient Klipsch horns are in the imaging department compared to other type of speaker systems? Can anyone speak to this? I can not imagine the sound itself getting much better, but imaging and sound stage?