Why horns sound so good!

Daddy Dee

Oops, I thought I had lost this answer so I wrote a more comprehensive one below. If you ask Tom Vodhanel (SVS), he will relate that HornEd has the equipment to go lower than most. Never-the-less, tracking the sounds of a symphony will disclose relatively little activity below 40 Hz... as was Mr. Paul's observation. =HornED

I agree with you about enjoying bass, Manuel Delaflor, but my comment sticks. The modern specs for Paul Klipsch's Klipschorn is that it goes down to 33 Hz (less than you require). Belle Klipsch and LaScala models only go down to 53 Hz... so they are obviously off your list as well.

As I understand Paul's take on the subject, when it comes to the number of notes played by a symphony orchestra, the vast majority will be above 40 Hz and, proportionately, far fewer will be below 40 Hz.

Frankly, I prefer a deep reaching rumble of a kettle drum, pipe organ, etc. but those sounds are better provided by sub-woofers designed to handle the particular problewns associated with long excursions. By freeing up the mains, they become much quicker musically than their specs would suggest. =HornEd

----------------

On 2/29/2004 7:05:52 PM DeanG wrote:

"...6550s just don't sound that clean when operated in the milliwatt power range..."

14.gif

Simple solution: Don't run them in the milliwatt power range.

----------------

You took the POST right out of my KEYBOARD!

Tom

----------------

On 3/1/2004 3:10:35 PM paulparrot wrote:

Paul W. Klipsch used a pair of McIntosh MC-60s in demos. I don't know if he had these 60W monoblocks at his home or not.
----------------

You know darn well he had Brook 2A3 PP monoblocks. 10W each. The Belle center was run off those two amps as well.

If I had to demo speakers for Philistines, I'd bring 60 watts, too.

No need to get in a snit about it. Of course I know he had a pair of Brook 10W amps, and have posted about them several times. I also know that those weren't the only amps PWK ever used. I don't care who wants to be in denial about it, Klipsch recommends 20W minimum for all their Heritage speakers. That is 20W per channel, by the way.

As a matter of fact, D. B. Keele, Chief Engineer at Klipsch, wrote in the January 1977 Dope from Hope that a 50W amplifier is "modest."

I think it's sad if you want to act like it's sophisticated and artistic to prefer low power amps, and that anyone who wants to use the range that PWK himself recommended is a Philistine. Whew! Unreal!

Pay attention and you may get it through your thick beak for once. Everyone who so foolishly engages in this subject with you will state that lower wattage options are not for all people in all situations. You are the only one speaking in absolutes. It's not a matter of opinion or preference. It's just logically unsound.

I am not the only one speaking in absolutes. That is what Klipsch recommends too. It just boggles my mind how people can ignore this. It's like trying to get a politician to answer a question with a straight answer; you guys just go merrily on your way, skipping over the part you don't like: 20 watts minimum.

----------------

On 3/1/2004 5:08:09 PM bclarke421 wrote:

----------------

On 3/1/2004 3:10:35 PM paulparrot wrote:

Paul W. Klipsch used a pair of McIntosh MC-60s in demos. I don't know if he had these 60W monoblocks at his home or not.----------------

You know darn well he had Brook 2A3 PP monoblocks. 10W each. The Belle center was run off those two amps as well.

If I had to demo speakers for Philistines, I'd bring 60 watts, too.

----------------

OK guys, help me with this. I can understand how he ran the L and R and the Brook monoblocks. How can a center channel be connected in addition to the L and R? ...that's three speakers and two amplifiers. I'd like to try that, but am thinking that I must not understand what you are saying.

A derived center channel can be found by running the center leads to the highest impedence tap on one amps output to the low(-) end of the other cannels output. I think that there must be a common ground between the amps in my pea brain but have never done this on mono blocks. I was however, listening to one Heresy as a center last night on my Joilda in triode mode (15 WPC). Believe it or not it worked!2.gif

Rick

When showing off my horns, I put on a sweep from 5Hz to 20K on the Hi-Fi News test cd. Its a British mag which is very good, by the way. The Brits seem to prefer alot of noises and sound-effects on their system testing cd's judging from this one. Very entertaining, garage doors slamming and Harrier jet takeoffs and such.

Well, granted, you can't hear anything at 5Hz but I think that at about 15 or 20 Hz (I'm guessing) its starts a'shakin the cabinet. More of a "profound wobble" than real shaking at first, but then it starts real shaking. You can't hear it at all.

After a few seconds it reaches the lower end of the standard bass notes that we are all used to... things shake and rattle around the house at different times when it reaches a sympathetic frequency for the respective object(s) as it continues the sweep until finally everyone plugs their ears for fear of permanent damage. It is not above 30 watts per channel, but its darn loud anyway.

Khorns go much lower than one would expect, and suprizingly, it is "useable" low frequency! Much more than I expected. Forget subwoofers!

DM2.gif

20 Watts!?? you've gotta be kidding me!

It may have to do with the size of the room, evidently quite a bit larger than mine, that's for sure.

My sort-of Khorns seem to smooth out about 1/3 of a watt avg. My amp has meters, and while probably not very accurate, it is better than guessing, I suppose...

I like to rock out at times but that is more like 3 watts max or it gets uncomfortable as it "overdrives" the room as well as all ears in the vacinity.

DM