Dawn of the dead... Remake?

m00n

haha yeah final destination 2 was very decent. the elaborate car pile up at the beginning was pure candy.

i hope the new dawn of the dead is something along the lines of 28 Days Later, probably the best horror movie to come out in a long time.

gotta love Danny Boyle

It's not a traditional 'Remake' folks. Read further into the site (well, if you have the time and interest) they're not fully out to remake it because those who worked on the film didn't think a remake was necessary. They thought 'Dawn of the Dead' was already and excellent movie.

Btw, Everett, WI? Gotta love fake towns. C'mon Hollywood, just come to Wisconsin and lemme be a friggin' zombie extra! Don't make up a fake (and HUGE according to the trailer with the dropping population number) city when the real thing would do just fine! We DO have malls. *phew* Ahem. Anyway.

I thought '28 Days Later' was pretty damn good considering the trouble the people who made it had to go through to get the movie to look remotely like they originally wanted. Stupid small budgets. Oh well. My big BIG gripe with the movie is that the trailers spoke of 'The best zombie movie ever' and all that crap. There were NO zombies! Rage... dreh.

In my opinion, the movie did fine (albeit shallow acting) until the absolutely horrendous 3rd act with the mansion. Anyone here watch the DVD extras? I wish they would have gone ahead and done the 3rd alternate ending instead of the lame, diet-alternate ending they did for the (incredibly ill-advised) theatrical re-release. Blegh.

Anyway, I'm friggin' pumped for the new 'Dawn of the Dead' movie. I'm just glad they didn't try to do a re-invisioning of 'Day of the Dead' because I really wasn't a fan of that one. Even if it IS Romero's favorite of the series.

well i know of the director, who did trainspotting and the beach. so for this flick, he really did switch genres big time to the zombie/horror style. yes, they weren't zombies, but cool enough.

i thought the acting was pretty good. as was the remoteness of the whole movie. no populations, utter silence. that and the digital photography looked cool except for the fire.

yeah that whole alterna-ending shebah was garbage. i actually loved the 3rd act. especially when selena thinks jim has the rage after he thumb-corks the last militants eye sockets..which is truely an amazing death sequence.

music was kinda cool too...very eerie. not THE BEST horror, but best in the last while for sure. lest someone can name be a better.

Oh hell yeah. I totally agree that this is one of the few horror/thriller movies to actually do what they're supposed to (y'know... SCARE the audience instead of make them laugh) in a long long time.

I own '28 Days Later', 'Trainspotting' and 'The Beach', all excellent flicks. Boyle is definitely a badass director. The Selena hesitation scene was very good, yeh, but the whole mansion sequence (and that sequence in the field near the ruin things) kind of detracted from the feel of the first half of the movie, I thought. But that's just me.

I too dare someone to name a better horror movie in recent history. Most have been mindless gore-fests which, while fun to watch, just end up being too immature and not scary enough. Sure, the whole tecnique of 'quiet, quiet, quiet, BOOOM/SCARY!' is fun, but it can get long in the tooth after a while. '28 Days Later' had that but also had the ever-looming dread of a whole country abandoned and instead filled with people out to do nothing more than pummel the bajeezus out of you.

Now there's the teaser trailer and the full theatrical trailer out for 'Dawn of the Dead', and ever since this month got underway there have been at least 6 different TV spots I've seen as well. One thing I've noticed is that these zombies seem to be a lot faster than your standard Romero-esque lumbering ones. Some scenes you see them all sidling towards the mall in the typically slow zombie fashion, but in others you see them running as they chase people and that one in the parking garage is actually holding on to a series of pipes on the ceiling while it's feet dangle, kind of looking monkey-esque and then leaps off the pipes onto an unsuspecting vicitm. One of the big things I really liked about '28 Days Later' was the speed with which the 'infected' attacked. Hopefully this will carry over well in 'Dawn' with these seemingly on-again, off-again speed-demon zombies.

Think they'll give a little more info on the origin of the zombie threat or just leave us with the weird 'probe we sent to Venus came back and messed people up' hypothesis from 'Night of the Living Dead'?

"They're dead... they're.. all messed up." - Classic!