wait to get sub?

Drew in the desert

I have been, like everyone else, upgrading my system as new products and the money for them become available. I have recently made a substantial upgrade from a Sony DTR835 to the Denon AVR4802. Needless to say, the Denon has made a world of difference on its own. My current speaker configuration is:

Front MTX AAL

Center Klipsch RC3

Surrounds Klipsch RS35

NO Sub

I want to get the Klipsch RW 12 and and RF35's to complete the Klipsch setup. My problem is, I can only afford to get either the RW12 or the FR35's for now. I am afraid that if I go with the RF35's I will lose the low frequency that I am able to get out of my MTX with dual 12's and have to wait for the sub. But, I am also afraid that if I get the RW12 first, it won't match up well with the MTX.

Any opinions?

Personally i would go with the rf-35 (rf-3 if you can get a hold a a pair, will match with your center better) first and match everything up, turn the bass up a little until you can get a sub. sell your mtx and you can save that money for a future sub.

get the rf-35's,bump up the bass,and try to get the rSw-12 when you can(although the rw-12 will work,GET THE RSW-12 or another great sub) you won't regret the better sub,and you WILL hear a dramatic overall system sound improvement as the amp will no longer have to power the deepest bass, and your speakers will no longer receive that deep bass signal.

my rsw-15 was my last addition, and although it really sounded good before-w/the rsw-15 OMG!!

jmo-avman.1.gif

The only thing I will comment on is will the RW-12 match with

you current speakers. I think all (or most) sub sound fine with

all speakers since the sub only produces frequency below 120-150 hz.

So don't ever worry about a sub matching.

That's a tough one. I'd be inclined to agree with the others, but I think upgrading the sub first would be okay too. Congrats on the 4802. I, too, started with the STR-DE835, and have upgraded Four times to get to my current 4802. Enjoy.

I'd say wait till you have enough for both.... as you said, the mains you have now are providing your extension into the lower ranges, so eliminating those would not allow you to go as deep. Also, if you get a sub now, it may not provide that much of a increase over the subs you allready have working. So why not just wait a bit longer and get both at the same time? Just an idea...