HK 525 vs 7200

Rdog

I cannot speak to Bill's latest experience. We will probably find out later what happened.

I just upgraded from a 525 to the 7200. In my opinion, the upgrade from an AVR 525 to an AVR 7200 is worth it. I expected just a power increase, but the pleasant surprise has been a much smoother and fuller sound with my front three that starts at mid volume and extends beyond reference. The sound of DVD-Audio and SACDs has also improved , but the most drastic improvement has been with CD sound.

At this point, I think there may be few of these units still available. I read in another forum that H/K said that the 7200s are sold out. That means the stock is limited to what is left at dealers.

Carl.

Yeah I saw them on onecall for a rock bottom price of 820, which is unheard of and they are an authorized dealer. Just wondering. Thanks, I mainly listen to movies, so do you think I will notice a change.

I just wanted come back and kinda elaborate on my earlier statement.I have a 7200 in my house and have been doing extensive listening to many sources/formats.

As of now my results are not conclusive(for me)but there is nothing bad(soundwise) about the 7200 at its current price.It is a big ol'radio with lots of power.The point I really wanted to make earlier is,don't expect more from the 7200 than it can deliver.It can deliver the goods for 1k but not 2k.

I have a 630 also and the 7200 has not outperformed it in any regard,for music I prefer the 630 by a little(its also about $800).I say this as a rf7 owner so if you were driving a difficult load the 7200 would have the edge in power,but w/7s you'd never know.That said the 7200 is a beast,bout to break my back installing and uninstalling.If you got to make the move on a 7200 you prolly won't be sorry.

----------------

On 3/4/2004 3:34:57 PM Rdog wrote:

Yeah I saw them on onecall for a rock bottom price of 820, which is unheard of and they are an authorized dealer. Just wondering. Thanks, I mainly listen to movies, so do you think I will notice a change.

----------------

Yes and No. Not as much of a "sound" quality difference with movies. That being said, extra headroom is usually a bigger factor with movies anyway. That way, when company comes over, and you really want to show off, you put in say, the lobby scene from Matrix I, and they will be completely blown away versus being really, really surprised. If you've ever listened to a certain scene from a movie really, really loud and thought "wish I had a little more -like a turbo or nitrous or something," then it will make a difference. If you've never thought that you needed extra headroom for a movie, then you might be fine with your 525.

-----------------------

Samsung TXN3245FP,Harmon Kardon AVR 7200,Denon DVD-2900,RF3II,RC3II,RS35,KLF-C7,RC35,SVS 20-39PCi,SVS PB2-ISD

Yamaha RX-V1300,Onkyo SKS-HT500,Axiom QS-8,HSU VTF-2

Thanks for bringing up the topic R-Dog - I have been contemplating about buying the 525 but after comparing and reading these posts on the 7200 i'm sold!!!

I have just purchased a full reference system and heck if i'm worring about the quality and I spent this much thus far what's an extra $200 anyway - well worth it in my opinion!

Go Buccaneers!

Bill (right down the road from Ray-Ja)

I upgraded from the h/k 520 to the h/k 7200 about a year ago. There is a difference. I find the 7200 to be a bit smoother. If you want to have a rear channel(s) the 7200 will also be a win because it has 7 powered channels. I think I took the volume up to -20 tops... it handled it effortlessly.