Klipschorns into a custom cabinet

atl#62

I have a nice pair of 85 khorns. I am buliding a new house and would like to build a custom entertainment center for home theater in a large basement room.I would like to build the khorns into the cabinet covering the bass bin and top to match the rest of the cabinet. Has anyone attempted this? Do you have any pictures? suggestions?

You have to be careful to not add any obstructions to the Bass-bins output, as they actually act as an extension of the existing horn. Take a look at Q-Mans setup at http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/files/Dsc00457.jpg where hes integrated 3 Klipschorns and 2 Lascalas to make up his front speaker array. Notice how his corner is uninterrupted, and how he managed to aim the mains at his seating area.

Here is his K-Horn Center Started Today thread

Later...

Rob

Some months ago I saw a picture, sorry don't know where now, of someone's Khorns who had covered the fronts with shutter type cabinet doors. It made them look like cabinets had been built into the corners. I'm sure the false doors were mounted securely to avoid vibrating and rattling and buzzing. When you get your project complete hope you will post some pics.

Dee,

Now you've got me thinkin'. What else could one do with that big ol' front panel (since obstructing is is of no consequence to the sound)? I mean, maybe if the grain is not as beautiful as you'd like, you could add a magazine rack, a painting, a chair, etc. While I'm thinking, would directly in front of a Klipschorn be a good place for, say, a turntable? I'm thinking there may be an area right in front of a Khorn where sound vibrations (thus, acoustic feedback) are very low (tweeter and squawker firing above, and the bass firing around).

This is a hard to do idea, i wouldnt want to turn my k-horns into a cabinet door look, not in the living room.

My TSCM has a big black front same size as Klipschorn, i was thinking of getting 1/4 inch walnut to put over it, to make the bass bin wood grain in the front, i just havent decided about the idea yet.

Besides i think the more you change the looks, or modify, the less they are worth.

Regards Jim

9.gif

atl, best not to have anything between the Khorns, it mucks up the imaging. If you must locate equipment between them, build the equipment into the wall and leave at least 5' of clear space from the corner behind each Khorn out on each sidewall. The sidewalls of the Khorns must be solidly built. No heating units running behind there either, the Khorns must fit tight into the corners.

Pretend your a 50 hertz sound wave.1.gif

Greg

I'm a sheet metal worker by trade and have thought of putting some exotic metal on the face of the bass bin. Something custom. Or maybe a piece of #4 polished stainless, or maybe a "jeweled" finish. Mirrors!!!!! They're just stained fir now.

hoggy