BB Discount : Synergy or Reference?

cjjackson85

Hey everyone. I'm a long-time reader but a first time poster. About to make a big home theater choice and I just wanted everyone's input. First off, I work at Best Buy so I am able to get everything for 60% off retail direct from Klipsch(Yes, even the Reference series contrary to popular belief.) For my birthday my parents already bought me the KSW-12 sub (I didn't know it wasnt very popular on here, but I like it so far.) I am curious if it is worth it to spend the extra money on the Refence series rather than the Synergy Line. I was planning on purchasing the following Synergies:

Mains: SF-3s - $340/pr

Center & Rear Center: SC-3s $280/pr

Surrounds: SS-3s $220/pr

Total Cost: $840

I'm not sure on the cost of most of the Reference speakers ,but I know I don't want to go over $1200 with my discounted prices (60% off retail). My system is listed below so also if my reciever is not powerful enough for the Reference series, please let me know. Also remember that I have the KSW-12 so if it is not enough to keep up with the Reference speakers also please let me know. Thanks.

My system so far is this:

Room Size: 15' x 20' (8' Ceiling)

TV: 48' Mitsubishi (High-Definition Ready)

Reciever: Yamaha RX-V630 6.1 Reciever (75 watts x 6)

DVD Player: Toshiba SD-3800 (Progressive Scan)

Mains: JBL ARC1000s

Sub: Klipsch KSW-12

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

----------------

On 3/8/2004 4:02:21 PM cjjackson85 wrote:

Aren't mains as surrounds not recommended though? If it's ok I do have the room.

----------------

Au Contraire! Timbre-matched monopole speakers make the best surround package. Those dipole diffusers are the same thing as the Bose "direct/reflecting" crap - only better built. Still screws up the audio coming from the rear. If you want to hear the surround effects clearly and powerfully, use a pair of SF-3's back there.

Anyone who can legitimatly get 60% off on Reference Series shouldn't think about Synergies for a NANOSECOND. Just think, your employment situation may improve and you may leave BB....then forever wish you HAD bought those Refs at what most people pay for Synergies. Or, G-d forbid things could go into the crapper for you...and you could sell those Refs for a profit!...lol

Jerry Rappaport

I have to chime in here and agree with Griff. If you can find a way, get the timbre-matched monopoles for the surrounds. You will not be sorry. No diffusion of sound on the effects. I tried it on advice of T2K and it I am more than pleased. Also, if you have the opportunity to buy the reference speakers for the same 60% off, do it.

By the way Griffinator, what does YMMV mean?

cjjackson85 ,

Just my 2 cents worth. I agree with others here, if you can get the Reference -do so. Later on you will have Much better luck if you have to sell them. The SF 3's are re badged RF 3's and are excellent speakers ................Good Luck in your Quest!

It's not even a stretch. You could get a full RF-35 or maybe even RF-5 based system for about $1200. You might have to stick with your sub for the time being but still...

I wouldn't buy the synergy stuff, why mess around. Get a pair of RF-7's for $800 or $880, and get a RC-7 for $300, and use some boom box speakers for surrounds until you can get something better.

OK so it seems almost unanimous that everyone feels that the reference series is worth the extra money. But don't forget my Reciever, the Yamaha RX-V630, which only puts out 75 watts a channel. Will 75 watts really push those Reference series well enough or does the Synergy series better suit my reciever?

Just to clarify, do you get 60% off, or 60% of (40% off) the MSRP?

I think I need to make friends with one of those guys at Best Buy. Which store do you work at?9.gif

I agree with ToddVJ. In my opinion, you're best off going for the best fronts and center you can at this time (which would be RF7's and an RC7). Fill the other positions with anything for now and upgrade over time. Your front array is really what matters and you can't do better than the R7 line. At your discount, you could probably afford to fill the rear and surrounds with SS.5's and an SC.5 and still stay under your $1200 budget.

Your receiver is fine to drive these speakers.

"OT,

A: how long do I have to work at best buy to get the 60% off deal?

B: If I get hired and dont show up, how long till they fire me?

I hope B > A"

If that works, count me in!

Also agree with the above comments. The Reference speakers don't require a lot of power and you likely will upgrade receivers / amps in the future while you still have these speakers. Most of us can't get everything we want at one time, so upgrading a piece at a time is "normal"

Go with the reference series. If you don't, you will forever be wondering what it would sound like if you had stretched just a little more. If you get the RF7's and RC7 you know you're getting the best. The RF7s can bump with 10 watts of power, so you're 75 watt receiver is no problem as long as it won't "clip". You probably get discounts on receivers from best buy too I'm assuming, so make that your next goal. Don't hesitate, get the reference.

I work in the Best Buy in Twin Falls, ID. I've been working there for 5 months and I only found out about my Klipsch accomodation about 2 months ago. I'll ask my boss how long you gotta work before you get your employee accomodations. I know that you have to work for 30 days before the store discount kicks in though. You've all pretty much convinced me to get the best Reference stuff up front first then the rears later. I do get a discount on recievers so that could always be my next piece.