Favorite classical recordings and other bits....

maxg

The process of putting all my albums on the computer is still going, but I have finally finished the albums and have only the box sets to go. I took the opportunity to ditch a number of albums I wont ever listen to again and am down to 220 albums on the computer at the moment.

Its a funny thing that having done this I can now get all sorts of info at the press of a button. For example I have:

46 Mono albums

71 albums made in the UK, 63 in the US.

24 Beethoven recordings, 18 Mozarts and 11 Dvorak's

37 RCA recordings (38 EMI - that was a real surprise)

Not that any of that is of any real interest...

Anyway it has also allowed me to start compiling the list of, what? My all time favorite records which I would want with me if I were to be stranded on a desert island. As follows:

Bach Tocatta and Fugue

Beethoven Piano Concerto 1

Beethoven Piano Concerto 5

Beethoven Symphony 3

Beethoven Symphony 5

Beethoven Symphony 6

Beethoven Violin Concerto in D

Berlioz Requiem

Brahms Violin Concerto

Dvorak Symphony 9

Elgar Cello Concerto

Grieg Pier Gynt

Haydn Symphony 83 (hen), 101 (clock)

Mahler Symphony 3

Mendelssohn Symphony 4 (italian)

Mozart Don Giovani (Highlights)

Mozart Symphony 39

Mozart The Marriage of Figaro

Mussorgsky Pictures at an Exhibition

Puccini La Boheme

Rachmaninov Piano Concerto 3

Rimsky-Korsakov Scheherazade

Rossini Barber of Seville

Schubert String Quartet in C major

Tchaikovsky Symphony 6

Verdi La Traviata

Vivaldi The Four Seasons

Vivaldi The Mandolin Concerti/Concerto for Violino Discordato

Wagner Tannhauser/Die Walkerie/Seigfrieds Rhine Journey

I would heartily recommend any of these to prospective classical listeners. I'll expand the list when all the box sets are on.

Maxg,

What was the process and setup you used to transfer from LP to computer?

How did you connect the phono to computer?

How are they stored? MP3?

What software?

Do you playback from the computer or are you downloading to an IPOD?

With the great 2-channel setup you have, I was wondering why you are saving albums on a computer. Does'nt the quality suffer? Maybe your goal is portablity VIA an MP3 player.

If I may extend "records" to "recordings"... my favorite classical recording was transferred onto compact disc in 1988; recordings of Mozart's Piano Concertos 22 and 23, made in 1972 and 1967, respectively, by Daniel Barenboim and the English Chamber Orchestra (EMI, CDM 7691223). The performance is remarkable; and even though there are more modern recordings that are more dynamic, I have not found any I like better for sheer artistry and musicality.

A more contemporary, all-digital, recording by Mitsuko Uchida, also with the ECO (Jeffrey Tate conducting) is a good recording, with competent playing, but it does not come near to making me "feel" it as the Barenboim recording. I don't know if it is an analog-vs-digital issue, the skill of the recording engineers, or the musicians themselves; possibly a synergy of all these things.

I agree that power consumption might be a problem on this deserted island... hopefully, the Professor will be there to assist... if he can make the batteries in that radio last for years, a little generator for components shouldn't be much more difficult...

I did the same thing about 6 months ago. Took me 2 weeks to inventory my 462 albums. I only did the A to Z though. I didn't list as to favorites. I just listed title, artist, label, album number, year, conditions of both record and cover. It's quite a job but makes life with anyones collection much easier. I than printed it out and laminated the pages so when someone comes over and wants to hear something we can look it up easily.

hoggy

As has been stated I just created a catalogue. The benefits are a decent insight into what I have and a handy aid to buying. The data is now on both my computer and my Sony handheld and I take it with me when I go shopping for records.

I think this makes me look the biggest geek on earth - browsing vinyl with a Clie in hand - but at least it stops me buying the same recording again and again.

As for electricity on the desert island - Solar panels - I would not be stupid enough to get stranded without them!!