CD format question

Rdmarsiii

Hopefully I can answer that question tomorrow if I get it tomorrow. I was supposed to get it yesterday, i didnt, supposed to get it today, but i didnt. My dad keeps on forgetting to get it. But the old man hes getting it from doesnt know what he has. But it is supposed to be three separate components im getting: A receiver, an amp, and an equalizer. It is a matched set, and its all Pioneer. So we will both find out tomorrow with any luck!

----------------

On 3/10/2004 10:27:59 PM Rdmarsiii wrote:

I was wondering if there was a way to convert mp3 or wma files to a file that all cd players can read.

----------------

the post above this one is correct--the format is .CDA or I believe simply...CD audio.

MP3 and WMA can be converted to CDA files, and good burning programs will do exactly that-NERO for example will convert .WAV, .MP3, .WMA all to a .CDA file if you so desire, and will convert them "on the fly". The real question you should ask is getting "older" equipment to read a "burned" CD that contains audio information...Some of them cannot read a CDR disc, some CAN read CD-RWs though, and still yet others can't read either CDRs or CD-RWs.

Good luck with your old equipment...honestly some of that "old" equipment seems like it was made better back then anyway....

----------------

On 3/10/2004 10:27:59 PM Rdmarsiii wrote:

I was wondering if there was a way to convert mp3 or wma files to a file that all cd players can read.

----------------

CD's read a PCM bitstream. A WAV file is also a PCM bitstream. The CD encoding format is different, though. If you take a bunch of WAV files and copy them to a CDR, you've still got a bunch of WAV files on an ISO9660 disk. Your PC will happily read them back, but your CD player won't have a clue what to do with them.

CD players want Redbook CD encoding. Ever notice that when you put a music CD in your PC and look at it in Explorer, you see a bunch of CDA files? That's how Windows interprets the header of the PCM bitstream. CDA just means CD Audio.

Lots of programs can take your MP3's and make WAVs of them. WinAMP will do it -- just set your output plugin to "diskwriter" and specify the directory.

Any CD recording program will make music CD's too -- CDCreator, Nero, etc. When you start a project, you tell the burning program what kind of disk you're making -- data (ISO9660) or music (Redbook). Drag in your WAV files, and CDCreator/Nero will happily record the disk in the format you've chosen.

Some programs will decode your MP3's on the fly, saving you the trouble. It's been a while since I've used Windows to do these kinds of things, so I'm sorry I can't be more specific about which ones might be helpful to you.

yunno, this kind of opens up a whole 'nother level here. You are free to experience the purist form of audio - not contaminated by non-liniarities and shortcommings of speakers, receivers or other equipment. Pop in a CD, cue PLAY, and as the timer ticks off the seconds, and you run and you run to catch up with the sun but it's sinking, racing around to come up behind you again, your mind creates the soundfield you expect you should hear if the data encoded on the CD were being converted to eye patterns and subjected to decimation and filtering but you can experience this on a holistic plane far above the physical limitations of the implementation of the algorithym...

I need another glass of Cabernet.

The 7 word game wrecks avock with the intellect.

----------------

On 3/10/2004 11:17:12 PM Rdmarsiii wrote:

Ok, well Im burning the cd now at 52x! I love my new burner. It is a Samsung 252f 52x32x52 for under $45. I think the bill came out to $43. Got it at directron.com.

----------------

I got a brand new 52x cd burner for 10 bucks 16.gif Its all about finding the right sales at the right time...

Lots of programs can take your MP3's and make WAVs of them. WinAMP will do it -- just set your output plugin to "diskwriter" and specify the directory.

Shazam! I didn't know Winamp could do that! I was downloading all kinds of trial programs to do that and I had one all along!! Thanks Heretic!

----------------

On 3/10/2004 10:47:26 PM 007 wrote:

any cd player can read CDA and WAV files.

----------------

The CDA file info is necessary for a normal stand-alone CD player to know how to play the file. The song data is stored as a WAV file. But without the CDA instructions, a CD player won't know what to do with it. Without this info, if you try to play a raw WAV file, you'll typically get a tremendous white noise (or maybe nothing). A CD player in a computer is a different thing.

Typical CD-burning programs add CDA info to the WAV files without you having to specifically instruct them to. They are programmed to make an audio CD in a format that can be read by audio CD players, 44.1KHz sampling rate, and so on. A raw WAV file might be saved with a 48KHz sampling rate, or a 96KHz and would have to be converted to 44.1 in order to play on a CD player, plus have the CDA info.

----------------

On 3/11/2004 12:01:51 AM Juba310 wrote:

----------------

On 3/10/2004 11:17:12 PM Rdmarsiii wrote:

Ok, well Im burning the cd now at 52x! I love my new burner. It is a Samsung 252f 52x32x52 for under $45. I think the bill came out to $43. Got it at directron.com.

----------------

I got a brand new 52x cd burner for 10 bucks
16.gif
Its all about finding the right sales at the right time...

----------------

Damn, and I remember some 10 years ago, we spent over $10,000 (yes that is 10 THOUSAND dollars) on those JVC CD burners to use at work to write documentation to CD-ROM. The blanks cost over $20 each. The things were friggan slow - only 1x speed. They were in what looked like mini-tower computer cases, with thier own 1 gig harddrive (which was huge for back in 1993 - my own 486DX33 machine had a 245 meg harddrive in comparison). The disk was imaged on the harddrive and then burned to the CD directly from its own internal harddrive, which took the full 74 minutes (no 80 minute disks back then). The host machine which we used was considered huge for the time - 486DX266 with 256megs of ram and 5 SCSI 1-Gig harddrives (5 gigs total - remember, this was in 1993). It was not unusal to store three or four CD images on that machine to test before copying them to the CD Burner's own HD, where it was tested again (remember a lot of time and money was spent to make one CD-ROM, so it was important to get it right before committing the image to CD). The thing was hooked up to the old SCSI-2 port.

Yes, how times have changed - friggan $45 for a CD burner! Even a far cry from the $250 I paid for that Plextor PlexWriter 16x10x48 just 4 years ago.

About the CD Audio format. Yes, as several others have already explained, you must burn the files to the Redbook CD-Audio format. Any decent CD burning program will have the ability to convert audio files on PC's to the correct format. Now, there are some modern CD players that does have the ability to play the MP3 or even WAV and WMA files directly, plus just about any current DVD player will also.