A heartwarming tribute to Paul Parrot

Allan Songer

Abstract:

People tend to hold overly favorable views of their abilities in many social and intellectual domains. The authors suggest that this overestimation occurs, in part, because people who are unskilled in these domains suffer a dual burden: Not only do these people reach erroneous conclusions and make unfortunate choices, but their incompetence robs them of the metacognitive ability to realize it. Across 4 studies, the authors found that participants scoring in the bottom quartile on tests of humor, grammar, and logic grossly overestimated their test performance and ability. Although their test scores put them in the 12th percentile, they estimated themselves to be in the 62nd. Several analyses linked this miscalibration to deficits in metacognitive skill, or the capacity to distinguish accuracy from error. Paradoxically, improving the skills of participants, and thus increasing their metacognitive competence, helped them recognize the limitations of their abilities.

----------------

On 3/13/2004 2:22:24 PM bkrop wrote:

A little long-winded and dry, hmmm...

----------------

Well, Allan IS in SO CAL, and those Santa Anas DO blow (or is that BLO?)...

A bit more acidic would be this example from the article:

In 1995, McArthur Wheeler walked into two Pittsburgh banks and robbed them in broad daylight, with no visible attempt at disguise. He was arrested later that night, less than an hour after videotapes of him taken from surveillance cameras were broadcast on the 11 o'clock news. When police later showed him the surveillance tapes, Mr. Wheeler stared in incredulity. "But I wore the juice," he mumbled. Apparently, Mr. Wheeler was under the impression that rubbing one's face with lemon juice rendered it invisible to videotape cameras

Allan, I have always enjoyed your informative posts on jazz and other subjects, especially since i know very little about these subjects...but am trying to learn. That said, don't you think it might have been better to title your post in a less personal manner?? I am fully aware of the different personalities---or what we see of them--- on the forum and have read many of the posts with kelly and paul, guy and paul, some recent with you and paul, etc. I think all of us empathize with your send of frustration on certain subjects, but i think you cheapen yourself with the full frontal assault of the title. Just my opinion, which, like certain parts of my body, may stink.

Remember, no one can drive you nuts if you don't let them into your head.

Songer has finally lost the few marbles he had left. He has now gracefully joined rank with Guy Landau, mobilehomeless, analogman, Cut-Throat, and jazman. He will now and forever more be known for the troll that he ahs demonstrated himself to be.

I for one have lost all respect for him or her. The personal attacks are very childish from a 47 year old. I bet his kids are proud of him. What a fine example he must set at home?