"___ and i said , hey stop and think for a second ."

BackBurner

OOhh sorry flamers this threads not about you !

Last night i was admiring a freinds huge record collection as we were moving his possesions to another house. When we stop'ed for a break his wife sat down with us and went over there columbia house CD selections for the month.

I piped up and ask why the heck was he buying CD's with this massive record collection ? His response was " my record player crapped out years ago and there fairly expensive to replace today "

So i said hey stop and think about this for a minute , even a half decent used record player can be had for less than 1k but look at what your going to spend on CD's at $15 or $20 bucks each, by the time you re-buy everything already have .

I suggested trying to find a used rega or the likes . Anyone have a decent suggestion for a ( non- techy ) table for under 1k . We'll be looking used and i have " no " clue as to the price points in this market , any help would be great .

BackBurner,

I think a used Rega 3 with the RB300 arm is a great place to start. It is a very good sounding table and arm combination, which purchased used will not break the bank. They are also not complicated to set up and maintain.

hKlipsch out.

Thanks so far guy's , something plug and play would be right up his alley.

I guess one more question ( if buying from E-bay or other auction places ) would be the safty factor of shipping . Being a kind of fragile beast would a player need to be packaged like a tank ?

Buying a TT from ebay is risky to say the least. They need to be taken apart in many cases and packaged very, very well. Better to buy new or find one local. I got lucky with my thorens. The guy was a TT expert, took the thing apart and packaged it so well it took 20 minutes to unpack. I paid someone to put it back together and set it up properly.