Nice Article on the Pros of Black CR-Rs

No Disc

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I read it, and don't believe it. Where is the double blind testing? (I didn't see a section on testing, or did I miss it?). I can't notice any difference between any two *properly* burnt decent media. Any studies that actually prove that anyone can tell the difference between media?

Skeptic,

I dont understand what you are trying to say here. The guy isnt making any kind of scientific paper - he is just relating the results he has found from his own testing for others to evaluate.

Frankly I plan on buying a black CD just to try it out. If it does sound better then why not go for it? If it doesnt the total cost to me will be one black CD (where will I find one of those I wonder) - cant be more than a couple of bucks.

In fact if, as you seem to imply, there will be no difference then the only cost to me will be the difference in cost between one black CD and one silver one, if any.

Kinda no lose if you ask me....

----------------

On 3/15/2004 11:08:36 AM tbabb wrote:

Black CD-Rs are pretty cheap, pick some up. You should be able to prove or disprove this to yourself. Make sure to follow the guidelines one copying and burning as they are an absolute must.

- tb

----------------

TB - you beat me to it by about 30 seconds I reckon....

DD,

I must admit I am very doubtfull on this one too - I cant think of any reason why it would make a difference but I have seen dumber things than that in audio, that work.

For example if you tell someone that dragging a rock around the groove in a piece of plastic make a better sound than a laser reading digitally recorded music...... I mean - come on - cant be right - can it???

"I dont understand what you are trying to say here. The guy isnt making any kind of scientific paper - he is just relating the results he has found from his own testing for others to evaluate."

All I'm trying to say is it sounds weak. There were a lot of papers and posts about coloring your cd edges with a green ring for improved quality. Did it hold up to a double blind test? Nope.

I actually have used black cdrs (kinda). Used some of those cd-rs that look like a record. Mostly black. Sounded the same as everything else. Im suprised it didnt sound better since it was black, and looked like a record.

If you want to go wild, follow the instructions on this page of CD tweaks:

http://tweakaudio.com/Cd%20tweaks.html

There is also a device, kind of like a lathe, that re-cuts the outer edge of a CD,making it perfectly circular. You didn't know that all of your CDs are out of round, did you?

I've also read where someone says the 3rd (or maybe it was the 4th) CDR copy of a CD sounds the best. In other words, CD to CDR to CDR to CDR.

(Just passed along FYI. I do not imply an endorsement of these views and will not be held responsible for damaged CDs.)

One point that could bear up does have to do with quality. A few months ago, someone on the forum had a convincing post on the value of a high quality digital cable. Might have been Chris Robinson, but it's possible I've had another attack of amnesia.

I'm game enough to check out the black CD's. I just dread the actual hard work of listening comparisons. Listening for small differences really does take work and it is harder if one is wondering if one has agreed to go out snipe hunting yet again!2.gif

edit: nope it was Ray Garrison. Here is the thread:

http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/view.asp?topicID=36657&forumID=68&catID=19&search=1&searchstring=&sessionID={F5F529F7-93B2-4954-AA78-B20A1093E0E9}

It sounds better with any and all stereo systems he uses, including a Sony Walkman. Hmm, the floodwaters are lapping at my neck now.... BS counter is off scale high. On a serious upscale system with excellant speakers, I could buy it. On a CD walkman with five dollar speakers - give me a break!

Though I think the color of a disc doesn't make a difference, I do believe there are some differences between different types of CD-Rs. I currently run a CD production studio (i make 50-100 orders per week of various recordings) and have found that there is an insane difference between different brands.

I'm currently using Taiyo Yuden Silver Lacquer CDRs costing me $35 for 100. you can buy them at http://www.recordingproducts.com/.

I didn't go with the new CDR brands in hopes of better quality. I was just trying to find the best deals around and we already have an account established with recording products (when we used to be a tape production studio). While in the process of converting the studio from tape to digital, I just bought the cheapest deal I could get at Best Buy. I've used every brand you can think of. But the difference in quality from the first CDs i made with the Taiyo Yuden CDs was so insanely huge that I couldn't believe it was true. I figured that we were just putting out better recordings now that things are better dialed in. To test it myself, I went back and remastered all our old recordings and did some blind AB testing and yes, the Taiyo Yuden was better. The only difference I notice is that the Taiyo Yuden has a different film or finish or something. The recording side is almost sticky feeling, especially with oily fingers. At the same time though, it seems more scratch resistant, so it's not like it's softer or anything (even though it feels that way). I don't see how that makes for a better recording, but it does and it bothers me because if i read what i write, i wouldn't believe a thing i said. all i can say is that in a blind AB test, i was able to tell which was the Taiyo Yuden everytime and on every recording.

btw, i burn at 52x speed and the difference between that and 1x speed is barely noticeable. then again, i have a Telex Spinwise CD burning tower thing which is designed for burning lots of CDs at really fast rates 2.gif

Well the fella makes lousy loudspeakers, why would I care what he thinks he hears? Typical audiophile nonsense, the kind of stuff people who read Absolute Sound hold with. Hornys usually have more sense, being sensible being one of the things that attracted them to horns in the first place. :-)

So you have tried it then? Or are you simply writing it off as nonsense because you don't care for his loudspeakers?

I would not have taken the time to post on this topic if I didn't at least have some time spent testing it myself. You can turn your nose up on this and discount it as nonsense if you like, but I know from my own testing that there is something to this.

Tell us why it's nonsense, and what you have tested to disprove this, please enlighted us. I assume you actually read the PDF the guy bothered to compose?

- tb

----------------

On 3/15/2004 6:25:55 PM TBrennan wrote:

Well the fella makes lousy loudspeakers, why would I care what he thinks he hears? Typical audiophile nonsense, the kind of stuff people who read Absolute Sound hold with. Hornys usually have more sense, being sensible being one of the things that attracted them to horns in the first place. :-)

----------------