Klipschorns: The best speakers on planet!!

jmslaw

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

----------------

On 3/16/2004 9:44:04 PM michael hurd wrote:

Back Burner: If you read some of the audiofool reviews, you'd soon realize that most of the people that own and take pride in such expensive equipment, own it simply as a status sybol, or bragging rights.

So what !! who says you make up the rules ?

Its always nice to Like an object for its qualities and its Pedigree...but when it get Unreasonable, Rabid and Fanatic..there is something wrong somewhere !

I mean every does not HAVE to like the Horn speakers...some do some dont...those who dont are not wrong as they have their own tastes and likings which are just not that same...Period :)

that does not make them fools !

----------------

On 3/18/2004 8:14:27 PM michael hurd wrote:

self proclaimed audiofools

Yup mike i'll agree with those words , because theres lots of guys just like that right here on this forum.

Just because they have one it must be the cats meow right ?

I've owned klipsch for longer than some of you have been alive and for that i'll never part with them. We have both become acustom to one another

But for anyone to come out an say that the cornerhorn is the be all to end all of speakers is just encouraging an argument . Try that post over at AA and watch the feathers fly .

I'm happy with my klipsch and thats all that matters , trying to make others see things your way is pointless and tiresome and who really cares anyway. I've lost count of the number of people that have came threw my house in the past 25 years who take one look at the k-horns and after asking what they are ( as in speakers ) the next thing out of there mouth is " Oh did you build those " . K-horns do have that grade 10 shop class look to them and for poeple knowing nothing about audio , thats exactly what they see.

But i don't care because they sound great to me , all that really matters right ?

ARTTO : You have no idea how big of a fool you made of yourself with that post against BackBurner. He's handled more pro audio gear then you will ever dream of getting within 100 feet of .

You don't even know who he is do you ? I think you'd be suprised to find what bands he was with , matter of fact i'll bet you have some of there cd's or lp's .

----------------

On 3/16/2004 7:22:37 PM sheltie dave wrote:

Those proud owners of Khorns first heard them as a kid or as a budding stereophile in callow youth. It is generally a twenty to thirty year long love affair that has finally been realized..which is why Klipsch is now totally missing the boat on the next two generations of budding Khorn lovers
11.gif
----------------

Dave,

You make an interesting observation. That is true in my experience as well. Klipschorns were a 30 year old dream coming true for me, too. In fact, it pleases me to have a pair of '73 Khorns, which was the year I discovered them as a late bloomer.

I've been trying to imagine a future for Klipsch Heritage, but what I think I see in it's current trajectory isn't encouraging. Hope no one takes offense at my thought here, but I also have a hard time imagining a community built around the RF series or whatever Klipsch will be doing in the future. There is something about the Heritage series that invites community. Don't know if that's the influence of HT, stuff built in Chinese factories. I also know that Klipsch has got to make what will sell and the market isn't demanding Heritage.

Not really wanting to be resigned to this sad (to me) future, I don't have any real suggestions to offer on how to help this. Dave, I was wondering if you or others have some ideas about that.

----------------

On 3/18/2004 9:58:32 PM DaddyDee wrote:

Klipsch has got to make what will sell and the market isn't demanding Heritage.

----------------

The PWK (heritage) designs were never truly a mass-market speaker though, And even less of one today, what with the rise of multi-channel and home theater, and just the general desire of the "mass market" for invisible speakers. Plus, it's not like it cost's klipsch to keep building them at the level they do, is it? I mean, after all, they already have the tooling in place. And they certainly don't spend any money promoting them. I'd say as long as they can cover their overhead costs, we're probably safe. Besides, if they pulled the plug tomorrow, heritage will still be available on the pre-owned market for years to come.

Backburner/William

I have owned KHorns since 1984, love them, will never part with them yadda yadda..

Point is..

I applaud your tempermant..you never rose to the occasion to get even with someone that insulted you, without cause, Yes, I'm fiercely loyal to my Klipsch speakers, but to flame someone that doesn't agree is well..childish. We can all agree to disagree, but there's no need to stoop to such levels.

Glad to know there's better stuff out there..would I like to hear it?? Not now, I'd be wanting it! And I can't afford it! Maybe when I win the lotto....

That said, I am pretty happy with what I have!

regards,

Steve

Why should it matter if he was in some band(s)? Even if he were in the most famous of all bands, that wouldn't mean he should get special treatment or that his words/opinions mean more than those of us who aren't "famous" or whatever else you'd like to say. I'm not trying to be rude or anything, but I read that post and it came across to me as "do you know what you just did!? you disagreed with so and so, do you know who he is!?"

It's been an interesting thread, and Backburner's post did have me thinking about some things off and on throughout the day.

Don't be so hard on Artto, he lives in a different world (or should I say room), and some of you might be surprised at his intensive musical background as well.

I grew up in Audo "Salons" through the late 70's and early 80's, and I've heard flat out jaw dropping systems. I listened and played with gear that I knew I would NEVER be able to afford. Sometimes it wasn't even because the gear itself was cost prohibitive -- but because I would have needed $500,000 just for a house with a room big enough to accomodate it!

I think a Klipschorn or Reference based system delivers a very high performance to dollar ratio. Actually, I don't think it can be touched by anything out there at the price points -- but there are other things that sound dynamite. However, to top the sound I have now would demand some serious cash outlay -- and I mean SERIOUS. To get the bass slam, drive, and realism I get with my Klipschorns, I would need $30,000 just in quality amplifiers and subwoofers, and even then -- I'm not sure about the midbass impact.

If cost were no object, I would still have Klipschorns -- but I can also see another room filled with something else. In fact, I'm still quite the sucker for the big Magnapans (I can already feel the heat coming down from Brennen and Artto:)

"still quite the sucker for the big Magnapans "

And therein is the whole point. The best speakers in the world are the ones that do it for you, in your environment and with your music, so if that is KHorns then all well and good - if its something else - guess what - that is OK too.

The only Electrostatic speaker that really moved me was the Final 0.3. not a very expensive speaker - but it was being driven by, what I assume to be, near perfect amplification for that speaker (AudioNet Max amps - good name at least - with matching Audionet preamp).

The speaker was something around $2000, the amplification $12,000! I tried the speakers with other amplification at my home and it just didnt work - sounded horrible - even the dealer that brought them round agreed, and I thought my wife was going to burst a blood vessel she hated them so much.

I have no idea how many times I have heard Martin Logan speakers. I have never yet been impressed. Doesnt mean that they are not the best speakers on earth - for someone....just not for me.

Course - there was the time we tried Tony's Quad 989's in my living room...what a disaster that was!!! Another speaker reckoned by more than a few to be amongst the best out there.

At the house that has everything but good sound they have the big Maggies. I have never heard them - there didnt seem to be too much point.

I finally stuck my nose in this thread. As one of the newest Klipschorn owners (and an avid baseball, OK, SF Giants fan), I'm surprised no one has brought up the fact that when viewed from above, a Khorn looks like home.

While this thread seems to be about great speakers for home use, Backburner (and others) bring out the pro-sound aspects of live performances. In my home, motorhome, free standing theater, and restaurant I have solid (if somewhat upscale) Klipsch speakers. But for indoor dances or concerts on the lawn, the sound gear is strictly pro... and that's how it should be.

The acoustic concerns of feeding enough watts to motors that have to move massive amounts of air to entertain two thousand ears (1,000 people) on basking in the sun on the main lawn is a lot different than being sonically cradled between six Klipschorns in a specially tuned room... or even six KLF-30's and a dual SVS Ultra tower in a free standing yurt with no significant internal reflections (standing wave free deep diving sub sound).

Just casting an ear to the different sound environments in my day-to-day living here in my mountain retreat makes me realize how different situations truly do call for different speaker solutions. Like those who are hung up on "Mpans", pro gear fills a special niche that emphasizes aspects of music rather than the whole spectrum in the crisp, clear, spectacular Klipschorn way... providing the Khorns are in a good acoustic space and driven by a squeaky clean source.

But of all the loudspeakers I have ever owned... the one that stuck out in my mind as a 15 year old... and the one that sticks in my mind now that I am cashing Social Security checks... is the string of Klipschorns I have left behind in one relationship or another... in one country or another. I guess it's kind of like stuffing my ear with audio soul food... there is nothing that sooths the savage beast within like a proper Klipschorn environment. It was true when I only had one in a monaural system... it was true in stereo... and true in three channel stereo (a la PWK)... and now it is true in 6.0 multi-channel music (I have yet to build the subterranean subwoofer for the 6.1 Khorn environment).

Yep, a comforting earful of Klipschorn ASF (Audio Soul Food) is what keeps me in Klipschorns. Sure, I can and have spent megabucks for speakers that impressed those with whom I was doing business... but, for my own comfort, my ears crave Klipschorns! It's great to be part of a Forum where I can let my Klipsch bias hang out. -HornEd

PS: There is also some "in-your-face" quality about the KLF-30's that make a Home Theater really rock! Indeed, there are times when its "different strokes for the same folks"... so it's easy to see why flames appear when personal "bests" are compared. Chill out and enjoy what you can when you can... and keep upgrading... it's a way of life and the quality thereof!

HornEd,

I formally nominate you for most totally barking Klipsch owner on the planet!!

6 KHORNS in a surround sound setup!! Bejesus!!

I thought your KLF 30 setup was mad enough.

Those Social Security checks must be of higher value than the ones Greece hands out.....

I have printed off your post to show to my wife. She thinks I am over the top - but she knows what a KHorn is!!!

Hang on a minute - 6 corners??? That is just greedy. I have none 15.gif