inside a KLF-30

rhawki

Well, i had the dreaded loose cabinet problem with one of my 30's, so while taking the speakers out to get inside with some Liquid Nails, i noticed the top and whole right side had come loose. At this point i started pulling and prying, and pretty soon had the whole face off. Anyway, while i had it off i decided to take some pic's of the insides.

If anyone's interested (???), and there are no objections from Klipsch, i'll post a couple pics. One of them has a good shot of the crossover too if that's ok to post...

-Rich

This message has been edited by rhawki on 07-02-2001 at 06:14 AM

I'm with Mr. Blorry... post away Rich!

I have a special interest in that I am having a special motor board built to experiment building a KLF 30 Center Channel and the craftsman is in San Antonio. I also have been inside some KLF 30's do dread rattle and Post-FedEx reconstruction chores but did not take photos.

Anyone have any thoughts about using a non-drying caulk and screws on the KLF 30's. That's what I did to homebuilt JBL cornerhorns with 15" woofers and passive resonators 30 years ago... and they are still doing the job for my favorite ex-wife.

By the way pzannucci, LiquidNails is what's on the Klipsch line in Hope, as per Trey Cannon. Maybe that's part of the problem?

Hmmm, maybe they put in this little smiley just for Legend owners?Smash.gif HornEd

------------------

"Living with Legends"

KLF C7 Center

KLF 30 Mains

KLF 30 L&R Surrounds

KLF 30 L&R Rear Effects

KLF 10 L&R Front Effects

Twin SVS CS-Ultra Sub

Speaker Support Systems:

Mitsubishi RPHD1080i 65"

Yamaha RX-V3000 Receiver

and such... Tweakin' On!

Cornwall Music Room Under Construction

"I don't know if I would use Liquid Nails."

Actually, that's what Klipsch told me to use when i called. Used a sub-flooring Liquid Nails and so far it's holding really well... I was actually gonna use Gorilla Glue, but i was afraid it would dry hard, and thought the little bit of pliability that LN has would be better.

Will post the pics when i get home this morning...

-Rich

This message has been edited by rhawki on 07-03-2001 at 03:04 AM

I was thinking Gorilla Glue also (I grew up in the hardware biz). This raises my curiosity...why do you want minute flexibility in the joints as apposed to rigidity? Confused.gif

------------------

Front - Quartets (Walnut oil)

Center - KG1.2v (Walnut oil)

Rear - Optimus (haha)

Receiver - Marantz SR-680 (upgraded from Denon AVR-810)

CD - Denon DCM-320

Tape - Denon DRW-850 (soon to be back in the box)

MD - Sony MDS-JE330

DVD - coming soon

Sharp 27"

Well, actually, mdeneen, it's worse than that! The new CS-Ultra has yet to arrive... so I am running three KSW-12's in the rear array with a single KSW-15 up front. If the CS-Ultra works out, the KSW's will be relegated to the new music/computer room downstairs. I just bought a pair of Corns and have a pair of Klipsch SB-2's that I formerly used as front effects speakers on six foot columns. Although retired, I have several hot computers networked to a high-speed fiber-optic uplink. When my son visits, he can telecommute from the downstairs room and save vacation time. By wiring the house with CAT5, I can sit in the glove soft, oversized, leather LazyBoy and write this on a laptop... while bathed in that glorious Klipsch sound.

Sure wish I could do it in one of your new Klipsch tee shirts! cwm4.gif HornEd

HornED, please don't take this as a flame but I'm dumbfounded that you have the entire KLF market "cornered" and don't have at least one set of Khorns. Smile.gif

------------------

Tom

Monster Power HTS-5000 coming July 5th!

KLF-20 Mahogany

McIntosh C33

Rotel RB-1080

Yamaha PF-800 Turntable/ Sure V15 Type V Cartridge

Ortofon VMS-30 mkII Cartridge

Stanton 999SS Cartridge

Carver TL-3100 CD

Yamaha K-1020 Cassette

dbx 1231 EQ

H.H. Scott 830z Analyzer

Monster Interlink 400mk II

Monster Interlink 300 mk II

Studio Tech U-48RW Cabinet

Original 12ga. Monster Cable

Enough boxes for a fire hazard!

Well, Tom, I hate to burst your amazement bubble but I seem to have this penchant for building households only to leave the K-horns... the last stand played for 18 years... so at least I seem to be making a better effort. cwm36.gif

For the past five years, I have been taking care of my aged parents (my dad passed away two years ago) who live in a tiny (by my habits) San Francisco corner row house. Sadly, it does not lend itself to K-horns so that's the reason for the Legends. And, despite my Klipsch habit, keeping mom in familiar surroundings is helpful. I even drive my dad's aging Chevy Lumina for the same reason... and that's an even bigger sacrifice.

cwm40.gif Now, if I only could build some false walls and get some K-horns in the Lumina...

Frankly, Tom, I have been amazed at how well this Legends experiment has worked out... the weakest link seems to be the KLF C-7 from a tone and timbre perspective. The system, as it is now configured, is far more musical than I would have guessed that it would be. My writer/musician/engineer son (must have got that perfect pitch from his mom) gave it high marks all around... and he was brought up on the big horns.

In case you haven't guessed, I am pretty much a free spirit that has made good on opportunities and ignominiously crashed and burned a time or two. Sure, I could have someone else care for my mother, but this is my opportunity to give her a happier life than she has ever had. Now, that is a no pay job I just can't afford to pass up. With all the toys, I can still take material things or leave them... but if I do have a sound weakness, it's K-horns. I don't know how I can miss a Jubilee infusion.

Gee, thanks, Tom... just when I was trying to quit! cwm32.gif HornEd

OK, here's the pics... You can see (hopefully) where the glue held and didn't (top_rt - clean seperation; btm_left - minor carnage where the glue held). In the next post, there's a closeup of the crossover, and all the pieces laid out. Hope they made it! Will pop one up of the whole setup soon.

-Rich

This message has been edited by rhawki on 07-04-2001 at 07:19 AM

Thanks, Rich, you saved me some extra work and gave us all a good inside look at where the Klipsch sound is made. Just thought I would add that in case someone tears up a motor board (the MDF board that holds the speaker-motors) some replacements are available from Klipsch. Also, MDF is somewhat rough in texture, Klipsch puts layers of paint and sands between each layer to get that smooth black finish on the motor board... but it is entirely for cosmetic purposes as I understand it.

Thanks again for coming through... and for having the good sense to photograph the process for those of us who have been there put neglected the souvenir photos.

Happy Fourth of July cwm23.gifcwm7.gifcwm6.gif HornEd

The glue job looks great, its a shame your KLF 30 did what my KG 5.5s did!

I should of gone that way, instead of driving screws through the cabinets!

How are you, Horn ED?

You have 3 pair of KLF 30s, how are they holding out?

Id like to hear your system, i bet it sounds really fantastic!

I apologize for the a-men, your doing a lot!

I bet the KLF 30s sound just as good as my cornwalls!

Id also would like to hear the new copper woofer series!

Have fun Jim

Horn ED:

Just saw that you just got a pair of cornwalls, far out!!

Ok, tell me, how do they compare to the cornwalls!

Im not to say anything is better than the other, but my KG5.5s were really awesome, and the KLF 30s have even more to them!

I think the KLF 30 actually goes lower on the bass than my cornwalls!

Another thing thats funny, is there selling for about the same price range!

Regards Jim

Happy E-Flat Day, Jim and all my Klipsch Forum Patriots. As well you know, E-Flat is the key of the Liberty Bell. Fitting for this day, I have again visited my local Klipsch dealer to find no demo R_7's... only blaring cubic Bozo e-flatulence! How do you cram a dozen clowns into the tiny space between a manager's ears... Bose knows! cwm24.gifArghh!

I have purchased a pair of Cornwell II's and they are still enroute (by muletrain?) from Jackson Hole, WY. The Corns are slated for a semi-basement (e.g., very quiet with a ground level garden view) music and workroom with plenty of KSW bass boosting if needed.

If six RF7's can exceed the power and majesty of the Klipsch Sound pouring out of my six KLF 30's... the future of Klipsch is secure indeed. cwm4.gif

Since I cannot find a place to compare Legends with Cornwalls these days, I decided to build one. I had been anxious to rebuild the KLF 30 system with the new speakers out of my respect for BobG's mystic enthusiasm... but it seems that I will have to wait if that opportunity is to be filled locally. cwm21.gif

Don't sweat the amen... I am still hung up on the dealers who spell pray with an "e". HornEd

This message has been edited by HornEd on 07-04-2001 at 02:35 PM

Actually, Jim, the Cornwalls are going downstairs to a new music experiment using larger Klipsch speakers.

I have redesigned a motor board for one KLF 30 to convert it into a center speaker with matching mains, side/surrounds and rear effects... anchored by the new Twin SVS CS-Ultra subs. It is an experiment in tone & timbre matching on a solid sub base.

I like that classic "Klipsch Sound" and have not yet had a chance to hear the new Reference version. I would like to hear what you think of the new sound? cwm35.gif HornEd

PS: For any who find air leaks in their Legends that make them sound, occasionally, like the bean scene from "Blazing Saddles"... I found that removing the speakers and tapping the motor board with a "Deadhead" rubber mallet from Home Depot makes short work of it... and hasn't deformed a single motor board for me to date. The mallet has a "low rebound" factor so more of force is "gently" transfered to the target.

This message has been edited by HornEd on 07-08-2001 at 06:31 AM