SVS tube vs. box

bsacco

Anyone have any opinions on the difference in sound between these two types of subs from SVS?

I'm in the market for a SUB and have never heard a SVS but what I hear is that they are the best sounding for under $800...Is this true? IF so, what sounds better, the tube or the box?

well in sound quality - it depends on the driver (somewhat)

in sound level, depends on enclosure and driver

this can become a very involved discussion on the whole speaker line. (isd vs db12 vs ultra) and then throw in the different enclosures and you got yourself a confusing situation.

i would suggest telling us what type of box and cylinder you were considering. (like a 20-39pc+ cylinder vs the pb2+ box) that would lend direction this question.2.gif

I'm looking to spend $800 for the BEST sounding sub I can buy.

I want it to perform equally for HT and music.

I DO NOT want booming bass sound rather smooth large prescense instead.

First, in that price range is their a big difference in box vs. tube.

It seems to me that SVS was using the TUBE as a unique selling proposition that made them unique and BETTER than boxes....then, now, they are now producing boxes....seems backward...if their tube sounded better, why go backward and produce inferior sounding boxes???

it wasn't about sounding better...it was demand from customers. svs apparently got a lot of requests for a box line. some folks don't like a 30" tube in their ht room.

your room size and layout will make or break your sub. (a huge room may need more sub than a small one)

best advice is to email svs sales/support. tell them your spending limit, room size/dimensions, major openings to other rooms, listening levels/habits etc. and usually tom or someone will reply back within the day. search the board for svs and advice. i bet you won't find someone who says "svs tried to oversell me" or "their customer support is bad"

they were essential to my sub decision2.gif

My favorite sub array is a stacked pair of SVS Ultras forming a seven foot tall column in a corner... the units are stacked so the bases are in the middle (the bottom one is upside down)... two subs in a corner make the equivalent of four subs of power... in this case 122 dB @ 20 Hz... that's just enough to be able to play any low note recorded on a Dolby Digital DVD... and their quick enough to take on the hottest music you can find. It's a neat look and stacked like that there are far fewer standing wave problems in my experience. For me, tubes give the best bang for the buck... and no room for boom if set up with an SPL meter. -HornEd

thank you all for your responses.

Yes, I've heard great things about their customer service.

It's just that I've never heard a SVS and a tube makes me nervous, though the drivers they use are impressive.

I'll measure my room and send an email.

Thanks again.

yep, i bought mine without ever hearing it. if you knew me, you would know how uncommon that was. i read so many reviews and the sheer lack of negative feedback told me it was a safe buy.

if this is your first "real" sub buy...it will be waaay exciting for you.

good luck!

----------------

On 3/24/2004 7:58:00 PM bsacco wrote:

thank you all for your responses.

Yes, I've heard great things about their customer service.

It's just that I've never heard a SVS and a tube makes me nervous, though the drivers they use are impressive.

I'll measure my room and send an email.

Thanks again.

----------------

SVS has a group of folks that have agreed to let people into their homes to audition subs - I am on that list and have had a couple of folks come by for an audition. Check with SVS - there may be someone in your area.

Good luck.

The shape of the enclosure has no effect at all on the sound quality. The alignment is how an enclosure effects the sound. ie, what the net internal volume is and what the porting is (port cross sectional area and the choosen tuning point). The driver, power available and EQ also have effects. How much each of the above will vary the sound depends on which one is different and by how much.

A cylinder has the advantages of not needing bracing to become rigid enough to not color the sound. They are also lighter, easier to build and cheaper than MDF boxes. Box subs when braced properly are just as good as a cylinder sub from a rigidity stand point. The extra weight can be an advantage in some situations. Boxes are easier to offer multiple finishing options on.

All the SVS models will sound very similar when played insides the limits of the least capable model. You're more likely to be able to tell the difference between a 16-46PCi and 25-31PCi (and this will be tough if the material doesn't go very low) than you are the difference between a 20-39PCi and a PC-Ultra. They all sound very very similar. The difference comes in the output capabilities. When the 25-31PCi is past it's limits, straining and not sounding so hot anymore, the PC-Ultra will still sound great.

Bottom line decide what you want on cost, asthetic, space and output considerations. When in the SVS lineup, sound quality isn't a consideration you need to make, they all sound so similar it doesn't matter.

With that budget a PC+ sub would be an obvious choice. But if you have a moderate to large room the PB2 ISD would be worth the little extra you'll pay.

After years of asking, we finally have system profiles, but bsacco, you arent using it, we need to know more about the loudspeakers and amplifiers you are using and in what size room, plus do you want audiophile flatness (depth) or do you want mid-bass movie punch?

2.gif

A large advantage of the box design is the ability to use a multiple driver configuration that would not be practical with a tube design, I think that may be one of the main reasons that they came out with the box line. IMO the best price/performance comes from a multiple driver sub like the PB2 line (even though the PB2-ISD is a bit more than $800).

----------------

On 3/26/2004 9:11:30 AM Dustin B wrote:

The shape of the enclosure has no effect at all on the sound quality. ... A cylinder has the advantages of not needing bracing to become rigid enough to not color the sound. They are also lighter, easier to build and cheaper than MDF boxes. Box subs when braced properly are just as good as a cylinder sub from a rigidity stand point.

----------------

yup.... dustin beat me to it... but there isn't a true acoustic advantage of one enclosure shape over the other. Some like the small foot print of the tube, and others like the lower square look of the boxes.

NOTE: all the SVS subs are quite large... so mocking one up at home to get a feel for the enlosure size is always a good idea.

later...

Rob

Topic is pretty well covered - I just would add one point: A "problem room", i.e., a room with irregular bass response might benefit from multiple subs carefully placed in different locations in the room. And unless the room is really big, this would be easier to do with the cylinder subs and their relatively small footprint. But in a really good room, especially with more or less full range mains, that big PB2-ISD is one tremendous value.