Rotel 1068 Pre Amp/pro

glr

----------------

On 3/25/2004 5:41:38 PM glr wrote:

How do you like the 1068? Also, what amps and speakers are you using? There isn't a Rotel dealer close to me that actually carries the product, so I've never even seen the unit.

----------------

As the guys said,check out the site.I have rf7's and a Parasound amp,I really like the Parasound but any good amp,Rotel etc.. should be fine.The 1068 is a very musical pre/pro,no shouting at you,just smooth highs.

the problem with with the rotel unit is its lack of features at this price point....

for the same price... $1700 list (and less street price)... i got a processor that included an am/fm tuner, a usb input, i-link input(IEEE1394-firewire), auto-room equalization, and lip-sync delay......

oh...and by the way ...it included seven amplifiers if i needed them....

ok..it's a receiver... the pioneer elite vsx-55txi....

you can get all the same features in a pre/pro if you care to spend about $4,000.....

----------------

On 3/26/2004 1:07:59 AM minn_male42 wrote:

the problem with with the rotel unit is its lack of features at this price point....

for the same price... $1700 list (and less street price)... i got a processor that included an am/fm tuner, a usb input, i-link input(IEEE1394-firewire), auto-room equalization, and lip-sync delay......

oh...and by the way ...it included seven amplifiers if i needed them....

ok..it's a receiver... the pioneer elite vsx-55txi....

you can get all the same features in a pre/pro if you care to spend about $4,000.....

----------------

Ok, let me ask you how many of those features you actually will use? Is it worth the increased noise and tremendous sacrifice in sound quality to have a few more pins and whistles?

Jerry Rappaport

Ok,..

I have to chime in a bit. I too would like to know if there is any rule of thumb. As with any retail product, there is mark up. The amount varies from one manufatcure to another, ans sometimes ityem to item from the same manufacture. Anyway,..Does any body know what kind of mark up ther is on the Rotel equipment?

I saw it mentioned that 10% - 15% off should be fairly easy to obtain. I'm not so sure about that now. I talked to the dealer closest to me today about coming down from MSRP, and about lost my head,....I willbe giving it one more ry. If no luck, it's off to anothe dealer, unfortunately, much much farther away,....

What say folks in the know,,is there a % we could expect to se come off retail?

Thanks all,...GRCRY,...>>>--->

----------------

On 3/27/2004 1:45:03 AM GRCRYSTYK wrote:

Ok,..

I have to chime in a bit. I too would like to know if there is any rule of thumb. As with any retail product, there is mark up. The amount varies from one manufatcure to another, ans sometimes ityem to item from the same manufacture. Anyway,..Does any body know what kind of mark up ther is on the Rotel equipment?

I saw it mentioned that 10% - 15% off should be fairly easy to obtain. I'm not so sure about that now. I talked to the dealer closest to me today about coming down from MSRP, and about lost my head,....I willbe giving it one more ry. If no luck, it's off to anothe dealer, unfortunately, much much farther away,....

What say folks in the know,,is there a % we could expect to se come off retail?

Thanks all,...GRCRY,...>>>--->

----------------

You all have to understand something about markup (coming from a dealer)

It's more than just raw mfr. price vs. dealer price.

It's shipping costs (yes, mfr's charge shipping to dealers)

It's paying the commission hound that's haggling with you

It's paying the light bill so you can crank those amps and speakers up

It's paying the rent on the building you're cranking them in

It's paying the revolving debt on all that gear you see in the showroom that they have to buy (not to mention local taxes on the inventory they HAVE to carry to survive)

This is why I'm doing something very different with my local business - no full-time showroom, very anti-retail in nature. I push my installation over my sales, hence I can avoid the costs associated with trying to be a retailer, but rather offer someplace where people who are interested in turnkey systems to come and play without the usual "retail showroom" annoyances (like 14-year-olds seeing how much "bass" they can get out of a given rack)

----------------

I saw it mentioned that 10% - 15% off should be fairly easy to obtain. I'm not so sure about that now. I talked to the dealer closest to me today about coming down from MSRP, and about lost my head,....I will be giving it one more try. If no luck, it's off to another dealer, unfortunately, much much farther away,....

----------------

It seems to be a function of the dealers' location (state?). Here in CT, dealers will not budge from MSRP. In Mass however, 10-15% is very much the norm.

----------------

----------------

One of the issues to contemplate is that the 1068 is newly introduced and in somewhat short supply (perhaps even on allocation). Rotel dealers will discount 10-15% if you are purchasing an entire system (pre-pro, amps, interconnects etc) but if you are walking in trying to buy just the 1068 right now they may try to hold as much gross profit as possible, to avoid loosing a potential system sale. If one were to wait a bit, I think a cut of 10-12% will be obtainable on a solo 1068.

Jerry Rappaport

Thanks guys,..I have taken into consideration all the normal marketing factors,..but had hope, being I live in the midst of smaller comunities, where there isn't a huge market for the mid to high end products, the dealers would be a little more willing to gain a new customer rather than send him out the door with no chance or returning.

I am off to another dealer, I didn't know was within driving distance today. Hope the experience is better. It is more of a showroom setting, than the first dealer, that does almost all custom work.

I might add as a side note,..The dealer that gave me such a hard time about trying to but below MSRP, was the one that both the owner, and his salesman, ripped on me hard, for having Klipsch,.....Well,....Better luck today hopefully,....

GRCRY,...>>>--->

Basically, the dealers are willing to wiggle on something they sell a lot of, and therefore inventory on a regular basis. Inventory turns are very important to the bean counters. Stuff they don't stock very much, or at all, is much tougher to negotiate, because a lot of dealers are just flat out stubborn about "well, you pay the MSRP or I don't bother ordering it"....