Is Rotel THAT good?

yromj

----------------

On 3/29/2004 10:47:36 PM arthurs wrote:

Alas, I'm taking the RB 1090 I am auditioning back. Really nice amp, great low end control, plenty of juice, and respectably good detail. I'm on to a McCormack DNA 2 with the Rev A Modifications next.
----------------

is there some problem with your krell?

i get the impression from other krell owners that krell amps sit on the right hand of god.... (or pretty close).....

3.gif

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No problem, I'll keep it and still use for HT and 5.1 listening. I'm just looking for something nasty for my 2-channel listening, not on a short shopping trip, more of a longer listening journey and definitely a little higher up the food chain than my Krell TAS. Might not find anything, won't know until I try a few, okay several, alright alright...many...

Man, this thread has wondered quite a ways from where it started. It's been great reading though. I've heard of gear I never knew of before. Reading about this higher end stuff is always very enlightening.

One thing is for sure. When you mention Rotel you have stepped onto another plateau of fidelity. By that I mean I doubt if very much of this discussion would have taken place in a thread titled "Is Harmon Kardon REally THAT Good?" (No offense to the H/Kers out there, it's just an example.)

Unfortunately, the Rotel would be overkill in my system and I just can't justify spending the extra $$$ on it. Someday, though, someday.

John- Who hopes more discussion of this high-end gear continues.

To throw my 2 cents into the mix.

I have a B&K Reference 200.7 amp, and I think it sounds friggan unbelievable with the RF-7. The clarity and the detail is just stunning, not to mention the dynamics and the imaging. It all just sounds so smooth and detailed.

Now, is it going to be as good as running all monoblocks around? Probably not, but than again, for how much I would have to spend in monoblocks to surpass the quality that I currently have, I honostly don't think it would be worth it to me. I am not exactly made of money myself. I may be a well-paid software engineer, but I am no Bill Gates! I think I'll be sticking with the B&K for a very long time, plus I really do like how it sounds with my RF-7s.

Yep, it seems like everything else audio related - when it comes to amplification, everybody has thier own preferences and what works for me may not necessarily work for you.

That being said, for those looking for amplification, I would highly suggest checking out B&K, especially paired with Klipsch.

just to throw another amp into the mix that hasn't been mentioned yet.....

how about a five channel tube hybrid amp that puts 150 watts @ 8 ohms into all five channels....

butler audio 5150....

here's the review...

http://hometheater.about.com/library/weekly/aafprbutler5150a.htm

$3295 from the manufacturer direct..... very tempting...

5150.jpg

(sorry..since i'm broke and unemployed right now i'm trying to spend other peoples's money)....2.gif

----------------

On 3/30/2004 12:05:52 AM yromj wrote:

Man, this thread has wondered quite a ways from where it started. It's been great reading though. I've heard of gear I never knew of before. Reading about this higher end stuff is always very enlightening.

One thing is for sure. When you mention Rotel you have stepped onto another plateau of fidelity. By that I mean I doubt if very much of this discussion would have taken place in a thread titled "Is Harmon Kardon REally THAT Good?" (No offense to the H/Kers out there, it's just an example.)

Unfortunately, the Rotel would be overkill in my system and I just can't justify spending the extra $$$ on it. Someday, though, someday.

John- Who hopes more discussion of this high-end gear continues.

----------------

Actually i heard Mark Levinson used to design receivers for Harman Kardon. Some Klipsch dealer told me that Harman has now killed the Mark Levinson design. As in through out the quality of them.

----------------

Actually i heard Mark Levinson used to design receivers for Harman Kardon. Some Klipsch dealer told me that Harman has now killed the Mark Levinson design. As in through out the quality of them.

----------------

Mark Levinson sold his OWN NAME!!! to Madrigal and then...H/K (no..not heckler & Koch--wrong forum!) took them over. But...HK should make speakers...with built in silencers...

if you want to see TRUE mark Levinson designs,

his new company---RED ROSE is getting pretty outstanding reviews.

OHHH mannnn...I'm sooo torn with what i want right now--I hear outstanding things about the 200.7 B & K, and supposedly there isn't anything that sounds "bad" with this amp--but---I like unique, and running professional amps in a big stack of 4 for my gear would just look damn cool, not to mention sound awsome and perform accordingly.....then theres the 1095 rotel, which according to some is a cut above the rotel standard, and the 15/2100 sherbourn is still in the running with its quasi-7 monoblock design......good grief....too many choices...I have buyer paralysis...

"I have buyer paralysis"

The good news is you've narrowed the field to serious equipment. I don't think you'd be disappointed in any of those on your short list. Buy something soon though - if you're like me, the more you research, the more you end up spending!

----------------

On 3/30/2004 12:45:18 AM minn_male42 wrote:

just to throw another amp into the mix that hasn't been mentioned yet.....

how about a five channel tube hybrid amp that puts 150 watts @ 8 ohms into all five channels....

butler audio 5150....

here's the review...

$3295 from the manufacturer direct..... very tempting...

(sorry..since i'm broke and unemployed right now i'm trying to spend other peoples's money)....

----------------

There is one of these in the audiogon classifieds under Tube amplifiers, listed at $2.3k. It is tempting at this price.

----------------

On 3/30/2004 4:03:10 AM RFinco wrote:

----------------

----------------

Mark Levinson sold his OWN NAME!!! to Madrigal and then...H/K (no..not heckler & Koch--wrong forum!) took them over.

----------------

OK!!!~~ THE KLIPSCH DEALER MUST OF BEEN WRONG!!!!!!

Rfinco: the Crown K1 can be had online with free shipping for $ 1049 u.s. The K2 is $1399 u.s. The micro-tech series amps ( fan cooled ) are MT-600 $ 699 u.s., MT-1200 $ 899 u.s.

These amplifiers will outperform pretty much anything that is available for the home market, with stable operation into 2 ohm stereo, with rock solid performance. Of course, they are pretty power hungry and heavy, but also built like tanks. The K-series is convection cooled ( fanless ), but for that application must be modified to remove the ( sleep ) function for home useage.

----------------

On 3/30/2004 4:21:11 PM wheelman wrote:

Mark Levinson sold his OWN NAME!!! to Madrigal and then...H/K (no..not heckler & Koch--wrong forum!) took them over.

----------------

OK!!!~~ THE KLIPSCH DEALER MUST OF BEEN WRONG!!!!!!

----------------

Sorry wheel--I didn't mean the exclaimations to be hostile--it was more like "what kind of person sells their own name???" I mean, now--his name is actually copyrighted by another company? Imagine, you can't write your own name on your equipment, or something close to that...? thats terrible.

Its right up there with BOB CARVER selling "carver" to Phoenix Gold for the PROFESSIONAL Line...

Mark Levingson stuff hasn't been actual levingson for a while now--

Like I said, his new company RED ROSE is pretty cool--very audiophile.

wheel--no hard feelings man!! sorry!!