Is Rotel THAT good?

yromj

----------------

On 3/28/2004 1:57:48 PM kenratboy wrote:

There is a difference between NEEDING a lot of power to go loud, and being able to take 500 watt peaks to ensure HUGE dynamic headroom. Look at the RF-7's - 250 RMS, and 1000 peaks! Even the RB-15's can take 300 watt peaks!!!

----------------

It is for this very reason that I see multi-channel amps that are NOT designed as monoblocks collected in one case as having a certain advantage for home theater. Rarely, if ever are all channels called upon to deliver peaks "simultaneously". Therefore, when large dynamic requirements happen for the fronts and center a multi-channel amps power supply is able to divert it's energy to where the power is needed at that moment. My Rotel RMB 1075 is rated at 120 wpc yet I have it on good authority that it can deliver 400 watt peaks to two or three speakers at any given time, assuming no major loading on the other channels. I can somewhat confirm this by my own testing. When I first purchased my separates, my dealer loaned me a RMB 1095 to do an A/B in my own listening environment. While the 1095 did have a slightly different sound character than the 1075, I can't say that it really sounded any "larger" or more open at equalized gain settings. . Also, the 1095 wasn't as quiet as the 1075, but this may have just been the individual sample I was testing. Then my dealer loaned me (2) Musical Fidelity 250 wpc monoblocks which I hooked up to my fronts with similar results, different sound character but not significant difference in soundstage size. In neither case could I justify the significant increase in cost over the 1075. My listening room is quite large (7000+ cu ft) and I tested with movies and CDs that have tremendous dynamics. YMMV

Jerry Rappaport

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

----------------

On 3/28/2004 1:39:32 PM arthurs wrote:

fair enough, I would agree with that....probably my favorite part of the Nautilus is how far they reach with the more power you provide...

----------------

Klipsch is unusually efficient for an 'audiophile class' speaker - many 'high-end' speakers I've seen specs for are in the range of 85-90 db/watt -

Has anyone ever listened to the top of the line Nautilus Prestige? Impressions? I'm curious as to what they sound like. I'd imagine, at the price, $20,000 each, they'd be difficult to find 'in stock' anywhere.

It's a unusual design to say the least - I wondered if they were more of an 'art' speaker, rather than an effective transducer As I said, just curious - I don't think in this life I'll be buying a pair, so I can only fantasize about it. 2.gif

----------------

On 3/29/2004 3:16:07 AM RFinco wrote:

Griff--

I am leaning toward useing my 49tx as a pre/pro and going with a nicer power amp. my choices at current, but not necessarily in order...

1. B & K 200.7 or the 7270

2. Rotel 1095 AND 1080 (1 2channel, 1 multichan for H/T)

3. Sherbourn 7/2100

4. Aragon 7 channel

give me your thoughts, suggestions about these items---or any that are similar in price that I may have neglected, or combinations of various channels (i.e. a 3 channel and a 5 channel by B & K for example...or whatever...)

Sherbourn got added recently as I read more about them--your post above put them in my list..

ANYONE! feel free to let me know your thoughts on this--(no. I can't buy krell, or Theata, or ADA or Proceed or "HALO" parasound....out of my range.)

----------------

Everything I've heard about B&K and Aragon tells me that they're a superior amplifier to the Sherbourn, but that you pay for that superiority.

Have I auditioned them side by side? Nope. Do I plan to? Sure, as soon as we get our showroom done and pound out the bugs with Klipsch's east coast rep, I fully intend to do a shootout - and I'll have all 3 amps to experiment with.

Unfortunately, that's probably about a year from now, which doesn't really help you. 15.gif

----------------

On 3/29/2004 3:16:07 AM RFinco wrote:

1. B & K 200.7 or the 7270

2. Rotel 1095 AND 1080 (1 2channel, 1 multichan for H/T)

3. Sherbourn 7/2100

4. Aragon 7 channel

give me your thoughts, suggestions about these items---or any that are similar in price that I may have neglected, or combinations of various channels (i.e. a 3 channel and a 5 channel by B & K for example...or whatever...)

Sherbourn got added recently as I read more about them--your post above put them in my list..

ANYONE! feel free to let me know your thoughts on this--(no. I can't buy krell, or Theata, or ADA or Proceed or "HALO" parasound....out of my range.)

you should add bel canto to your list.... very favorable reviews out there - digital amplification with extremely smooth sound....

prod_evo6.jpg

----------------

On 3/29/2004 1:44:00 PM Griffinator wrote:

Yepper - trying to get on with Bel Canto right now, actually.

If you've got the bucks, their gear is incredible.

Of course, not all of us have $9500 with which to buy a DVD player...
----------------

yeah... the dvd player seems kind of outrageous...but the amps are priced much better....

evo2 - $3295

evo4 - $3790

evo6 - $4290

all channels 120 watts @ 8 ohms... the evo2 and evo4 will bridge to 400 watts @ 8 ohms... the evo6 will bridge to 300 watts @ 8 ohms

personally, i would love to audition an evo4....bridge the 4 channels into 2 for 400 watts per channel into my KLF-30's.... to see how it compares to my carver professional ZR1000 digital amp (225 watts per channel @ 8 ohms).....

3.gif

the rest of the line is very interesting but the pricing structure scares me....6.gif

Heck, if you are in that pricing range, why don't you consider a rack full of crown or qsc? I would like to see what the crown k1 / k2 convection cooled amps would be like in a home setting. Of course, you would have to have the " sleep " function removed, so that on channels that are infrequently used, like surrounds in some movies, they won't suddenly turn on in the middle of a large signal.

----------------

On 3/29/2004 2:18:32 PM minn_male42 wrote:

.... to see how it compares to my carver professional ZR1000 digital amp (225 watts per channel @ 8 ohms).....

3.gif

the rest of the line is very interesting but the pricing structure scares me....
6.gif

----------------

Minn---funny you mention the Carver ZR1000 cause there is someone useing that exact configuration with a PIO 49TX unit(my receiver right now)--they LOVE it...I can get "4" zr1000s for the same price if not less than the B&K 200.7 and for about a second I considered this option..

what are your thoughts on the ZR in compairison to some of the more "mainstream" approaches-i.e. a multi channel amp from ROTEL or B & K (bel canto are awsome...but a bit out of my price range...but those are the exact suggestions I need!!)

keep in mind this is a apartment--A HUGE ONE..but still..an apartment, and I can't wire dedicated circuits and such..so 4 plugs for 4 powerful amps might be a hard thing to pull off...

On 3/29/2004 4:19:20 PM RFinco wrote:

On 3/29/2004 2:18:32 PM minn_male42 wrote:

.... to see how it compares to my carver professional ZR1000 digital amp (225 watts per channel @ 8 ohms).....

3.gif

the rest of the line is very interesting but the pricing structure scares me....
6.gif

Minn---funny you mention the Carver ZR1000 cause there is someone useing that exact configuration with a PIO 49TX unit(my receiver right now)--they LOVE it...I can get "4" zr1000s for the same price if not less than the B&K 200.7 and for about a second I considered this option..

what are your thoughts on the ZR in compairison to some of the more "mainstream" approaches-i.e. a multi channel amp from ROTEL or B & K (bel canto are awsome...but a bit out of my price range...but those are the exact suggestions I need!!)

keep in mind this is a apartment--A HUGE ONE..but still..an apartment, and I can't wire dedicated circuits and such..so 4 plugs for 4 powerful amps might be a hard thing to pull off...

four ZR1000 amps would be awesome...... they are going for about $750 each on more than a several websites.... i use mine with a pioneer elite vsx-55txi.... simply one of the best amps that i have ever heard with my klipsch KLF-30's.... ultimately i plan to get another ZR1000 for my rear channels and a ZR500 (bridged to mono) for my center channel... (300 watts bridged @ 8 ohms)

compared to a more "mainstream amp"....sound is great if not better than all of the "mainstream amps" that i've tried.... build quality - super heavy duty...these things are built to go on the road and perform every night at rated power.... i kind of doubt most consumer amps could take that kind of treatment and still survive...

for power consumption... the ZR1000 will draw 10.6 amps at maximum power (according to my owner's manual) the ZR500 only draws 4.8 amps at max power..... (although for normal listening my ZR1000 uses about 3 amps)

an additional advantage over the 7 channel all-in-one amps is that you can buy 2 channels at a time.....

http://www.carverpro.com/2003/

3.gif

On 3/29/2004 6:30:12 PM wheelman wrote:

What about Mark Levinson amplifiers?

what about them?..... about the fact thatif you need to get one repaired it takes about 4 to 5 months?...... about the fact that they are currently not being produced since the reorganization of the harmon group?.....

or the fact that i haven't had the opportunity to hear them in my system...... since there are not any dealers in minnesota that stock the product.....

1.gif

On 3/29/2004 8:19:25 PM wheelman wrote:

I havent heard one either but they look like monsters. I would take one if i had the money. In a heart beat

only after i heard them in my system...... not all amplifiers work well with all speakers.....

and for sure i haven't read of anyone on this forum using mark levinson amps with klipsch.....

----------------

On 3/29/2004 8:30:29 PM wheelman wrote:

Yeah the Mark Levinson amps i see on the net are usually hooked up to out of this world priced systems. But they look great and the people that have em love em. Did he used to work for Harman and design amps for them?
----------------

i believe that mark levinson was originally a separate company that was bought by the madrigal group that was then purchased by the harmon group.....

mark levinson owners love their amps.... but i get the impression that they are simply bose owners with a bigger checkbook....

----------------

On 3/29/2004 8:21:22 PM minn_male42 wrote:

i haven't read of anyone on this forum using mark levinson amps with klipsch.....

Russ : one of our forum members thats bugged out of here has run stacks of levinson as well as some real over the top classe audio stuff .

Dale Walker , now runs a RB-1090 he's posted several threads on this amp but got sick of battling the tube heads in 2 channel.

He's the one that would know , considering he has k-horns with tubes and k-horns with the RB-1090. Maybe someday he'll find his way back here.

----------------

On 3/29/2004 10:43:13 PM LOADEDTUNES wrote:

----------------

On 3/29/2004 8:21:22 PM minn_male42 wrote:

i haven't read of anyone on this forum using mark levinson amps with klipsch.....

Russ : one of our forum members thats bugged out of here has run stacks of levinson as well as some real over the top classe audio stuff .

Dale Walker , now runs a RB-1090 he's posted several threads on this amp but got sick of battling the tube heads in 2 channel.

He's the one that would know , considering he has k-horns with tubes and k-horns with the RB-1090. Maybe someday he'll find his way back here.

----------------

Go to the search engine and type in " mount king " . This should bring you to a old thread from dale ( 2002 ) with pictures of the most nasty looking stack of SS gear and " KILLER " looking pair of k-horns i've ever laid eyes on.

Keep in mine when looking at the picture that this is strickly a HT setup.