Is Rotel THAT good?

yromj

I've been slightly considering the Rotel 1056 over the Yammy 2400 or Denon 3805. The Rotel doesn't have one key feature that I want, 6/7.1 out of the box. (It requires an outboard amp for the extra 2 channels.) I've never gotten to hear Rotel and Klipsch together, but I'm hearing that Rotel has a much more "audiophile" sound to it. In other words I'm hearing that the sound is more along the line of seperates than the others. Can anyone verify/dispute this? The 1056 is a little more than the Yammy, but about the same price as the 3805. Of course the 3805 has a lot more features and is 7.1.

I hate this, I started out looking for something in the $500-$800 range and now I'm actually considering something over $1k.

John- Who thinks when all is said done the 1400 or 2803 will make him very happy.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have not heard the 1056 but if it shares some of 1068 pre/pro its gonna blow these 1k avr's away especially in 2ch music.I have the 3805 in my house and its very nice,in HT its great but needs amp,for 2ch the Rotel is better.

----------------

On 3/25/2004 1:24:13 PM damonrpayne wrote:

Rotel makes solid, excellent sounding separates.

Rotel and Klipsch sound very good togheter although perhaps not as good as Klipsch/aragon or Klipsch/B&K. PM me if you have specific questions.

----------------

I guess we all have an opinion, but I recently tried the BK Ref50 processor and their 5.1 amp in setup A/B setup with my Rotel separates and I was honestly not as impressed with the warmth and clarity of the HF with the B&K as I am with my Rotel. On the B&K String instruments seem to have the slighest bit of "steelie" sound on clasical music. Bells seemed just a bit too metallic, etc.

Jerry Rappaport

My opinion, after yesterday's get-together (a very positive one for my local business dealings - could be an alliance of sorts to be formed between our two companies) is that the Sherbourn amps absolutely trounce the Rotels. The Rotel pres are much more user-friendly and feature-rich than the Sherbourns.

----------------

On 3/26/2004 9:14:12 AM marksdad wrote:

yeah i think of rotel as intro to high end, my b&k gear absoutly beats up on my old rotel gear
12.gif

----------------

Before using a wide stroke across the Rotel line marksdad, who by the way was one of the advocates for the Rotel line when I was in the market, what rotel amp did you use in your system? (RMB-1075)

I started with the RMB-1075, it was nice but I found that it was lacking on both ends of the spectrum. Just a little bit better sounding then my Yamaha AVR. So I returned it and moved up to the RMB-1095, oh what a difference. The RMB-1095 is a great amp delivering a nice neutral sound across the spectrum. It challenges the previously mentioned amps, B & K etc. and is value priced. Can't comment on Rotel Receviers. Did hear a B&K 307 AVR with RF-7's, sounded nice but in the end went with seperates.

I endorsed this message and I do own:

Rotel RSP-1066

Rotel RMB-1095

Klipsch RF-7, RC-7, RS-7, RSW-15

6.gif6.gif9.gif

I listened to several Rotels at the dealership the other day - I found them all to be quite nice sounding, but the mighty all-monoblock, individually powered Sherbourn 7/2100 just dominates them all in sheer headroom and cleanliness.

Again, I wish to emphasize - Sherbourn's PT-7000 is downright primitive compared to Rotel's pres. I have to believe, though, that a Rotel pre would match up quite nicely with the 7/2100 (or the 5/1250 if you're not equipped with 7.1 outs)

----------------

On 3/27/2004 3:20:58 PM kenratboy wrote:

Am I missing something?

The Sherbourn and Outlaw Audio preamps have the exact same layouts, front and back!

Same company?

----------------

Nope.

Same factory in Taiwan, but very different parts. Sherbourn's people are in Taiwan, ordering specific parts for their amps and passing them along to the manufacturing plant. Outlaw, OTOH, hands the specs to the plant, and the plant uses what they see fit.

Oh - and in case anyone was concerned about the "chinese" factor with Sherbourn - they back all their stuff with a full 5 years parts and labor, unlike your big Japanese companies like Pioneer, Yamaha, et al who give you 2 years if you're lucky.

I don't care where it is made.

AMD makes their CPU's in Malaysia

Most all computer parts are made in Taiwan or China

My $1000 Canon DSLR is made in Taiwan

I am sure anyone can screw together a amp 9.gif

While I like stuff to be made in Japan or the USA, Taiwan is very quickly becoming Japan V2.0 - same for much of the stuff coming out of China.

My new APC battery backup for my computer came from Bangalore, India (thats wherw Dell and all those companies do their stuff), and the quality seems to be very good.

Figure, get some semi-educated, literate people in a classroom for 2 weeks, and you can have them do pretty much anything!