My HT story - from a "newbie" point of view

popbumper

For those of you who are "experienced users", stand by for a chuckle. For those of you who are "new to the madness", or can remember a time when you were, please read on.

It all begins with a non-dedicated theater room (no basements in Texas, so I worked with what I have), which had been adorned with the latest hobby madness in my life, PINBALL machines. For a while, I also had a 20" television, circa 1984, which never quite served as the room's focal point, but then again, games were the main draw!

As time went by, the 20" TV became more of an eyesore than a benefit, and I wished to "upgrade". As an adjunct to the "need" for a more "theater-like" setting, I took steps to procure theater accessories, by visiting a local cinema which was closing down and literally scrapping EVERYTHING. I obtained 15 seats, 2 soda fountains, backlit poster boxes (5!), a drinking fountain, a ticket stand, and other goodies for the low, low price of $300 - plus an aching back.

Within a few months, I restored four of the seats, having them powder coated, and recovering them myself. Two of the pinball machines were sold, and the room was neatly "split" by the chairs. Red velvet ropes and chrome stands were bought from a local bank branch, red velvet curtains were hung, and one of the backlit poster boxes was mounted to the wall in a self-built encasement, and fitted with a classic poster from 1979 (The Champ), that I had saved from working back in a theater between 1978 - 1980.

Finally, I "officially" entered the HT foray by buying a Sony 46" RPTV this past Christmas. But what of the SOUND? How about a non-AV receiver mated to a pair of 1985 Klipsch Forte's, courtesy of my wife (and when I say "courtesy, I mean these are HER speakers. I married well, eh?) Yup, it was getting better. But wait.....

...One thing leads to another, and I found myself yearning for even more. What, no satisfaction? Imagine that! Next came the HK AVR430 receiver, which absolutely improved the sound, and boggled my mind with its rear panel of nearly infinite inputs. Yeah, the DVD player came shortly thereafter. So there I sat, watching my DVD's, and REALLY LOVING the Klipsch sound. I thanked my wife MANY times for her wisdom, and started looking into all things Klpsch, dreaming of Cornwalls, Heresies, and whatever else I could....

...then came the recommendation from a friend. Folks, I'm not made out of cash, so being prudent, I picked up a set of unmolested Klipsch KG2's for surrounds. OK, I did NOT think that surround would make a big difference. Yeah, call me an idiot. I just watched X-MEN II tonite (as well as a BUNCH of other movies recently), and all I have to say is .....uhhhh.....what was I waiting for? Is there anything better than surround sound? Is there anything better than Klipsch?

Yup, now I need a center channel speaker. I probably need a bigger TV (grin). I almost DON'T need a sub, the Forte's do a GREAT job. My point? I am absolutely stunned by HT; it's a remarkable thing to be involved in, especially when you are gifted with Klipsch speakers!!

For those who read, thank you for hearing me out, I appreciate it. Every journey starts with small steps, and my own journey continues....sweetly so. I hope it just gets better, been fun SO far!

Popbumper9.gif

Welcome to the forum.

You do not need a center channel if everyone can sit in or very close to the sweet spot. When you have to sit off axis, then you do need a voice matched center channel speaker. The center fixes the dialog to the screen.

I do not mean to add to your upgraditis, but you will find that a subwoofer adds enourmously to the home theater experience. The Fortes have excellent bass, but they do not go low enough to do justice to the LFE (.1) channel. A serious subwoofer is needed in a good home theater.

Bill

Great story - welcome!

I have to agree with Bill. While you may not need a sub for music (with those speakers), the sub makes a really big difference for the DVD experience. Not that you have to get everything in a day, but I would certainly keep that on your short-term radar!

Ah yes. Welcome to the Wonderful World of Klipsch Home Theater, popbumper! Allow me to explain something before continuing your journey.

You see there is only one constant. One universal. It is the only real truth. Causality. Action, reaction. Cause and effect. Choice is an illusion created between those with power, and those without. It starts so simply, each line of the program creating a new effect, just like...poetry. First, a rush, the heat..Is it the wine? No, what is it then? What is the reason? And soon it does not matter, soon the why and the reason are gone, and all that matters is the feeling itself. And this is the nature of the universe. We struggle against it, we fight to deny it but it is of course. Pretend it is a lie, beneath our poised appearance the truth is we are completely out of control. Causality, there is no escape from it, we are forever slaves to it. Our only hope, our only peace is to understand it, to understand the why. Why is what separates us from them. You from me. Why is the only real source of power, without it you are powerless. (The Merovingian)

Also having four major credit cards with $10,000 limits will help. 2.gif

BBB, sounds like somebody has been watching too much Matrix. 9.gif

popbumper, Congrats on your happieness! I envy you for getting all that cinema stuff. Bigtime envy. I have a little kitchenette where my theater is and I could use some stuff like that myself. Are you going to get a center and sub?

Good luck and have fun.

Why are there no basements in Texas? 1.gif

Very good writing here guys,...Entertaining to say the least. Sounds like your having theat great feeling, as you mentioned of being WOW'd and having fun with it as well.

You mentioned subwoofer. Your story reminds me of the very moment I fired up a DIY sub I built a couple years ago. I have built many subs over the years, but had never really been happy with the results. They have always been far better than anything I could aford to buy, but the day I cranked up a dual 15" Adire based sonosub I had labored over, in hopes of finally feeling like there was enough bass,......All I could do was set there in the chair,...all by my lonesome,..."and smile".

Get,or build yourself a sub to cover the LFE on those movies you enjoy, and you will continue sickness to the next level,.....;)

GRCRY,....>>--->

Welcome to the insanity and howdy from Houston. That sounds very familiar to a friend of mine. His new wife has Heresy's. Of course she is from Arkansas naturally. Get a sub and a dedicated center channel. Try a KV-4 and then get another set of KG2's for the rear surround. Cheers.

Pop-

Great story. My modest HT started out with a pair of Forte IIs, and it has been quite a path since then. As others have recommended, a center channel speaker and a sub would do wonders for your HT experience. For music, the Fortes more than hold their own, but can certainly benefit with some sub-help in the HT realm. You'll get lots of advice on subs, Klipsch, SVS, Paradigm, Hsu, etc. I really like my SVS as it blends well with both movies and music.

For your center channel, don't go with the KV-4. It was made for the Epic line of Klipsch and is too bright in comparison to the Fortes. Depending on how much room you have, look for another Forte as a center. That will sound great. Or, if you have enough $$, find an Academy. But those are pretty rare and very expensive on eBay. For the money they've spent lately, $700-850 (an obscene amount for one speaker), you could get 1-2 pairs of Fortes and really round out the system. Or you could look for a KG 2.2V, which would sound pretty good. Or a KV-3, which is what I had as my first center. The KV-3 is pretty reasonable on eBay and pretty compact, as is the KG 2.2V. Best of luck in your yearning!