Philco Console?

Rdmarsiii

There is a guy at my church who wants to give me an old Philco console radio. He says he thinks that it is tube, but he isnt sure. He thinks it was made in 1971, but he isnt sure on that either. He says it has AM/FM, phono, and he said it might have a cassete player. He said it is six feet wide, four feet tall, and two feet deep. I am not sure if these figures are exagerrated... Does anyone know what this thing might be? Is it powered by tubes or transistors? Thanks! Oh, BTW, he says it weighs 300 pounds...

I agree; if it's from the '70s, it's little more than junk, I'm afraid. Definately not tube amplified, or made by Philco (Ford Motor Co. owned the Philco name back in the '70s before it disappeared forever).

Philco did make excellent console tube radios back in the late '30s thru the '40s. This example from '38 (I think) was restored by my dad last year and given to my mom as a gift, and she absolutely loves it (and listens to her favorite AM station everyday with it). If a radio like this was being offered to you, then by all means, take it!

Pc072741.jpg

post-11084-13819253686744_thumb.jpg

Not sure if it has tubes or not?

Go over to his house and take a look at the insides. He can't be that far away and all you would be wasting is your time if it solid state. If it's a deal, then it was worth the drive.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Man, go help him move it. If it is not tube, you can gut it at your convenience and turn it into a wet bar or a tanning salon. At three hundrd pounds, there is no way it won't be tube! And with these dimensions, the hardwood alone is $100 and would make great stereo shelving4.gif

Man, I'm almost willing to bet it's not tube! I'd wager it's one of those Korean or Chinese made replica radios you see advertised on the back of your Sears credit card statement envelopes. If it's got an AM/FM tuner, record changer (BSR?), and a tape player slot for cassettes, then it's highly unlikely that it's a real Philco with an authentic tube amp!

I could be wrong, but I really doubt it. The cabinet could be real hardwood, or at least MDF with real wood veneer. If it's got tubes, then you'd better scarf it up fast! If not, then per Dave's request turn it into a wetbar!

For your sake, I hope I'm wrong.

Not meaning to hijack, but what are old tube radios worth. I know you need dates and pictures. I do not have a camera yet. I picked two radios up in Europe, one is pretty cool because instead of numbers it has names of cities - London, Paris, Frankfurt etc. I toted them around for about 6 years never being able to find tubes for them. I finally landed in Dallas and had them working in about two weeks. The guy at the shop offered me $250 for each but I did not want to sell them.

the one with all the names has a plate "SBR"

here is a website for one of them

http://users.skynet.be/albert.aerts/radio/pages/sabkona8.htm

When I was stationed in Ludwigsburg (near Stuttgart), my German girlfriend at the time had her father's '50s vintage Grundig tube shortwave radio that's similar to your radio. Determining a radio's worth is tricky at best, but if your SBR is in great condition, then maybe it is worth $250 (at least it was to your repairman).

See the site below for info on a radio's worth:

http://www.radioattic.com/radiovalue.htm

----------------

On 3/29/2004 8:17:03 AM sheltie dave wrote:

Man, go help him move it. If it is not tube, you can gut it at your convenience and turn it into a wet bar or a tanning salon. At three hundrd pounds, there is no way it won't be tube! And with these dimensions, the hardwood alone is $100 and would make great stereo shelving
4.gif

----------------

Or a hell of a coffin.

While I was growing up, we had a Philco, Made by Ford 19" color TV. It took for forever (at least to a 7yr old) to warm up, so you had to make it a point to sit down well ahead of the time your show was on, or you'd miss the beginning. It was still going strong when my parents bought a new 25" Curtis Mathis TV to replace it.