ALERT!!!Found OEM Heritage Grille Cloth!!!

jorjen

I hope so anyway. The pictures/samples look to be identical to the OEM stuff that I have at home to compare to.

The site is www.newfoam.com/fabric1.asp, take a look at samples DF-6000(black) & DF-6001(brown)and see what you think. I am going to get some samples and will let you know.

Ah, so your KHorns are newer than mine eh?2.gif.

I felt it looked as close as I had seen to date, pretty much identical. I have 2 yards of the OEM black Klipsch cloth to compare it to when I get some. I need some of the brown to do a set of newly veneered Cherry wood Corns that I have almost completed, so I am getting some right away.

Hi Rick,

I cannot tell if the cane is the same or not from the site. Seems that I saw some elsewhere though, let me check and I will post back. I have 2 cane Cornwall grilles in the garage to compare it to. I am ordering one of the sampler packs that they sell so that I can check it out. But, I am going to order a couple yards of the brown weave and take a chance it is the same or very close.

Another spot that has been mentioned quite frequently here on the forum is mellotone fabrics www.wendellfabrics.com . If you request information they will send 36 samples of their speaker fabric for free. (I see the other site wants $5.00 for their free samples!) I have the sample cards and they are also close to the OEM for Heritage products.

I did look at the stuff at Wendell some time back and it does not seem to be as close as the product from Newfoam. But, I could be mistaken. Good site though with nice stuff. I do like the Mellotone products.

• 1 month later...

The DF6000 from Newfoam is the very same cloth that Wendell Fabrics carries in fact they and the other company that Klipsch referred a forum member to (Dura Crest Fabrics) purchase their cloth from Wendell Fabrics. If you noticed the DF6000 is the same exact part number that Wendell Fabrics has for that item. The DF6000 is NOT the OEM replacement for the Klipsch OEM Black Grill Cloth. It looks similar but it is certainly not the same.

I called Dura Crest yesterday and found out that they purchase their cloth from Wendell Fabrics, she was nice enough to provide me exactly what they order from them. Dura Crest's part number is the #17 black but they were out of stock, the woman there was nice enough to provide the me correct part number for the Klipsch OEM replacement grill cloth.

Wendell Fabrics is send me a sample of the number that Dura Crest provided me I will confirm if it is the OEM equivalent. I have the number at home but I think it was DF-3555-61. I refuse to settle for anything less than the exact equivalent.

I just thought the forum members would want this information.

Jorjen if you got it from Duracrest it is the OEM stuff, the lady I spoke knew just by the quantity I was asking about which Klipsch Heritage speaker that it was for. I liked that! I got the sample of the material she said that they order from Wendell Fabrics and it matched the pattern on my '88 Khorns perfectly but varied ever so slightly from the cloth on my '86 Corns. The part number from Wendell Fabrics is the DA-3555-21 and it is the #17 Black that Duracrest sells.

The reason I want the cloth is that I plan on changing the frayed and worn cane grill cloth on my '62 Cornwalls. I wanted black to match the rest of my speakers. Now I need to place an order.

Klipsch parts department told me that the Cane cloth is available from Joanne's Fabrics, but I have not had the time to check it out. The Cane I have seen from Wendell is NOT the same as the Cane I got from Klipsch 2-3 years ago for my '59 Shorthorns.

----------------

On 5/5/2004 6:52:51 PM mungkiman wrote:

Klipsch parts department told me that the Cane cloth is available from Joanne's Fabrics, but I have not had the time to check it out. The Cane I have seen from Wendell is NOT the same as the Cane I got from Klipsch 2-3 years ago for my '59 Shorthorns.

----------------

That's WEIRD. Why would they source the black fabric from Wendell but not the cane? Joanne's? There's one pretty close by. I guess I could check it out, but I don't have an original to compare it to.

How different is the stuff from Wendell? Or perhaps the better question is - Does Klipsch still sell the cane aftermarket grill cloth?

Thanks for the help.

Great link! Thanks guys.

What would be the theory on changing the grill material on Klipsch speakers in relation to the 'resale' value of heritage? (Like I'd EVER consider parting with my beloved Cornwalls)

I'm considering changing the grills on my oiled walnuts from black to cane, as well as making several of the cabinet/electrical modifications mentioned on the forum. Guess I could always cut new grill boards and keep the originals in case I ever wanted to change back. (You see, my girlfriends new kitty decided to use them as scratching post a while back. I was able to eliminate the frayed material by holding a lighter close to the grill and melting the frayed strands back, but they no longer look 'new')

Klipsch told me that they no longer sell the Cane cloth. I did not ask if the Cane I was able to buy from them a few years ago was the same as the Cane from the 50's and 60's, or something new for the Heritage line. I have no real information here, other than the parts person on the phone specifically mentioned Joanne's as the source.

I have read on this forum that Klipsch may have also used different versions over time, but I have no such specific knowledge. The Cane I got from Klipsch a few years ago appears to be organic, over a screening that I think is vinyl (see photo).

Chris

post-9039-13819253691224_thumb.jpg