Minium dist from wall for RC7 to breath

m00n

The depth of the 3D sonic holographic image is directly related to the distance of the speakers to the front wall (the wall you are facing) - try moving the speaks further out in the room - many speakers should be 3 to 4 feet from the side and the front walls - horns start off in the corners - inch them away from the corners until the image is at its largest - measure the distances between each loudspeaker and you and make sure they are exact - to the inch - it makes a difference - sit at the apex of the long triangle - twice as far as the distance between the speakers 3.gif

----------------

On 3/28/2004 5:51:42 PM m00n wrote:

Being that the RC7s are rear ported, I was just curious to know how much space you need behind them. A few inches enough?

----------------

These the ones for side surrounds?

I would say at least 1-2 times the diamter of the port opening...to ensure you do not get port noise....

----------------

On 3/28/2004 7:35:24 PM ygmn wrote:

These the ones for side surrounds?

I would say at least 1-2 times the diamter of the port opening...to ensure you do not get port noise....

----------------

Yes, they will be used for surround duty. I think a few inches is acceptable, but not the feet that Colin was suggesting. Sorry Colin but just don't have it. 4.gif

I will just have to use my ubber elitist framing skills to build some insert in the walls that protrude into the rooms on other side of the walls. Hmmmm... I feel some picture diagrams coming on.

Unusual responses for the question.

The rule is 1.5 x port diameter. Considering your set up, I wouldn't be too worried about losing a few cycles of bass because you don't have the perfect distance from the wall. I think a few inches will be fine.

I'm thinking seriously about building wall inserts for these to sit in, what would be the recommended space I would need top and sides of the speaker itself? 2" or 3" or so? Meaning leave at least 2" on top, 2" on each side? Something like that? I really would like to get as much bass out of these as possible, but they are going to close to walls.

I'm leaning towards a design shown in the image... Would that help with the bass response on them or could this hurt the overall sound quality? Of course this is not to scale, it's the idea that I'm trying to capture here.

RC7WallCutout.JPG

post-9291-13819253691684_thumb.jpg

I was thinking the same thing you came up with m00n when I read your post. I would build a little shelf on the bottom of the frame in the wall and pull the RC-7 out further than your picture. That would solve your problem and look nice at the same time.

You can build a case/shelf in the wall 6" deep easily and probably deeper than that. Have the RC-7 flush with the wall and the extra 6 or however many inches the in wall cabinet has for the port space should be perfect. The RC-7 is only 12" deep I think. That is not to far out if mounted flush with the wall IMO. Thats only 2 1/2 more inches out than the RS-7s were and you have your port space.

Ok, so here is another though I had... My thinking is that if I only put an angle on the bottom, put the RC7 such that it was very close to the top of the inwall cove, this would help force port exaust (if thats what it's called) down into the seating area... Note that this picture is a side view.

Is this a good or bad idea?

RC7InwallDesign2.JPG

post-9291-13819253691844_thumb.jpg

mOOn you should email or talk to klipsch and ask them. I think they could give you the best answer your looking for. Actually they were one of the companies that said six inches to. And the port is huge on my sf-2's. I used to have a pretty good phone bill untill i got a computer. I like to do research before i buy anything.

are you going to set your surrounds to large or small?

I mean if small then the ports will not be as active for deep bass right?

Your pic 2 I would not do...

how about a V behind them...like a false corner?

like:

__ __/ /

/

/

Except center of course and 90 degree corner....?...

heck get creative and make it parabolic to aim the sound coming out of the rear to be directed to the seating position....also maybe aim it down towards those ears...hehehehe

I found out the hard way - I placed my RC-7 in the top enclosure of my entertainment unit with about 3" - 4" of clearance to the back. During some high volume sequences, I heard some distortion. I thought I had a bad speaker, so I took it down to the place I bought it to see. Long story short - I cut out the back of the entertainment unit and do not have any more problems.

Not suggesting, rather thinking outloud ... what if you would mount the RC7s flush to the wall, but made round holes in the drywall, slightly bigger than the rear port exhausts ... then the low fequency energy would go inside your side walls, perhaps turning them into sort of extension of the speakers ... would you just lose those frequencies .. or would it sound boomy ... no clue, just a thought ...

----------------

On 4/3/2004 11:18:50 PM m00n wrote:

heh... never thought about that. I have no clue actually. Something tells me though this is not ideal. Seems to me that it would cause you to loose those frequencies. But hey, I could be wrong...

----------------

Hmmmmmm

then maybe buy some identical ports and mount either above or below speaker in same wall cavity?....

Or, ..perhaps a slightly beter version of the same idea ... make the RC7 a semi inwall speakers ... cutting the rectangular opening in the wall and installing the speakers perhaps half way inside ...

ok , so much for brainstorming ...:)

----------------

On 4/4/2004 12:22:49 AM TauRus wrote:

Or, ..perhaps a slightly beter version of the same idea ... make the RC7 a semi inwall speakers ... cutting the rectangular opening in the wall and installing the speakers perhaps half way inside ...

ok , so much for brainstorming ...
:)

----------------

This is actually very close to what I'm thinking. On top of that, I plan on angleing the speakers downward towards the audience.

• 1 year later...

I bought my Klipsch fronts, side and rear surrounds, and center after much assistance from the folks on this site. I really appreciated the technical expertise, and I am once again in need of some guidance.

As you can see, I've done the search thing here to find my answer, but I need a bit more advice on this one than the attched thread contains.

I have an RC7 (my center channel) hanging on a shelf behind a fake proscenium wall over the top of my screen. It has about 4 inches of rear clearance before it hits the felt-covered screen trim which goes about half way up behind the speaker. The top half of the port has a little more clearance, probably 6 or 7 inches to the wall on which the screen hangs.

Technically this is enough clearance, but I'm concerned about where the sound goes when it leaves the ports. Right now the area around the RC7 is relatively open, but I am planning to hang a felt-covered trim piece under the RC7's shelf to hide it from view, effectively creating a sound barrier that will run the entire length of the screen width. There will also be a curtain hanging between the back of the speaker and the wall at some point that will also impede sound flow.

My questions:

1. Will this "enclosure" cause sonic issues? Boominess or lost sound are concerns for me. What problems do I need to listen for?

2. Has anyone tried stuffing the ports? Is this dangerous or sonically stupid? I saw it mentioned once or twice, but noone admitted to actually trying it.

3. What would I lose or gain by stuffing the ports? I have a kicking subwoofer, so if the only consequence is lost bass, it may be acceptable to avoid other issues.

My Fronts are RB7's, and the RC7 is almost overpowering them already. So loss of gain might not be a big issue. I like the thought that the only sound will be coming directly through the speaker fronts to the audience, but I'm afraid of echo or boominess if those rear ports start firing sound around inside this semi-enclosed space I'm creating.

Thanks for your help!

Greg