Want a system for HT and listening to various music

Hard 21

I have no experience, but when I hear something that sounds good I think I know it and know I like it.

I have quite a bit of money saved up and want to get everything I need at the same time (a year down the road when I get married). Nothing just outrageous, but I'm gonna try not to be cheap either. Realistic, good suggestions would be appreciated.

"Whats your budget? A full RF-7 sytem would be great if you could afford it / have the space for it."

Sure a full-on 7 series system is nice, but it all depends on budget, room constraints, ht / multichannel, sacd or dvd-audio and the list goes on...

First we must define a rough budget, and also how much space you have to work with. Whether or not you require all the equipment or have some equipment now. Whether or not you are willing to buy used equipment and / or speakers to save money. Direct view television? Projector or plasma?

----------------

On 3/29/2004 10:36:52 PM michael hurd wrote:

"Whats your budget? A full RF-7 sytem would be great if you could afford it / have the space for it."

Sure a full-on 7 series system is nice, but it all depends on budget, room constraints, ht / multichannel, sacd or dvd-audio and the list goes on...

First we must define a rough budget, and also how much space you have to work with. Whether or not you require all the equipment or have some equipment now. Whether or not you are willing to buy used equipment and / or speakers to save money. Direct view television? Projector or plasma?

My budget is maybe close to 10 grand (although I hope I can get some great stuff for less than that). I hope that that'll include a TV, (not plasma, but pretty nice size). I'd rather have all new equipment. The space I have to work with is unknown right now, but I doubt it'll be very big (gotta get a small house if I'm gonna have the finer things in life). I have no equipment now, except for DVD/VCR.

What is all included in the full RF7 series and what's the total on it? If it is what I think it is, that is very close to what I'm looking for if it sounds great and the price is not too extreme.

I have been hesitant to answer this because of the title. I suspect that others may be too.

Want a system for HT and listening to various music

When you add music into the mix it becomes very subjective. To one person FM radio is bliss where another person may require a minimum of Hi-rez with perfect 3-D imaging out of two speakers and the attitude of it is blasphemy to add a video monitor into the listening room. Where you fall in that mix is entirely up to you.

Given that you want HT we can eliminate the puritest aspect for music, but there is still a large area where you could fit.

I would start by deciding which is more important. Music or the HT?

For instance, I could break down my system as 90% music listening and only 10% HT, so I have made compromises that lean towards getting the most out of stereo listening like spending less on surround speakers and more on amplification.

If your weighting is the opposite you might find spending more on sub's and a hi-res video monitor more important.

Or you can spend equal amounts in each area. It all comes down to where your preferences are.

Appreciate the info Strabo, this is all new to me.

I'm probably much like your situation.

I would say I'm 90% wantin speakers and everything for music, but I also want my movies to sound pretty good when I'm watchin one.

If I hear guitar playing thru my speakers I want to be able to shut my eyes and believe that someone is playing it right next to me.

Any suggestions?

Close to 10,000 range for a television, receiver or amp/preamp, speakers,wiring, and room treatments. That is possible, but you have to spend wisely in the right areas. You said that you do not know how large the space is yet, but that it would be fairly small.

With a fairly small space myself, I would recommend a good direct-view television at least 27" in size, preferably a 32". A good quality receiver from Pioneer, denon, marantz, or harmon kardon. That leaves speakers and room treatments. I would recommend that you purchase the best speakers that you can afford, as they have the most bearing on the quaility of sound, other than the room itself.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but you should be able to pick up an RF7 package for around $4k. That would be 4 RF-7's and a RC-7 (center).

That's a big chunk of your bugdet.

You would still need a TV, DVD, and some sort of Amp.

Figure $2k for a TV, others will say you need more, and maybe you do.

<$1k for good source that plays DVD, DVD-Audio and/or SACD, and CD's.

And you are left with around $3k for your amp.

It might be time to start looking at separates when you get above spending $3k on an integrated amp.

(IMHO, At this range, budget as much for amps as speakers otherwise you are not getting the most out of them.)

How user friendly does the system need to be?

Do you want everthing to be in one box (integrated), or would separates be ok? Many separate amp/pre combo's are very easy to run once set up. Others are more difficult.

What is your experience with music systems? How musical does it need to be?

Do you want to go the route most people follow and learn as you go, or do you just want to jump to where everyone ends up anyway (musicly I mean)?

Read everything you can about why people are running the gear they are, listen to as much gear as you can, ask as many questions as you like, and you will start to piece together the requirements of a system that will fit your needs.

These statement go along with the last post:

It doesn't have to be user friendly as long as I can learn it. This purchase is at least a year down the road. I figure I'll be able to learn a lot by then if I stick around here. Separates are fine if that's what I need. I have very very little experience with musical systems. I don't even know what you really mean by how musical does it need to be, but I don't have to blow my eardrums out. I just want it to sound damn good and clear like I was listening to it live with no speakers. I want to go to where everyone ends up anyway without necessarily learning as I go, unless that means spending 20,000 dollars (My normally tightwad self could barely justify 10,000). Thanks for all the info.

I'm going to pitch my 2 pennies in the pot.

Since you're looking a year down the road, your best bet is to start spending time listening to as many brands of electronics teamed up with Klipsch speakers as you can. You'll find that different brands have different sonic qualities. All good brands will probably sound very clear have good detail. However, they will each have their own subtleties making them unique. Listen to them w/ RF-7s, because that's probably what you'll be getting speaker wise. As you listen make notes about what you liked and disliked.

As you continue to listen to nice equipment and read forums such as this one, you will be able to discern what you're looking for. Then when the time comes, you'll be able to make wise decisions. You are going to have a fun journey ahead of you!

Enjoy the ride,

John

PS Check out Sound & Vision Forums as well.

Welcome to the Forum, a $10G budget is a great start. Separates are a great way to go, clearly the best option, but the cost can be prohibitive. The newer AVR's (Denon, Yamaha, H&K, B&K, Pioneer Elite) are also very impressive $3000 spent there will give you a very versatile rig. I used to be exclusively a separate component type but I am very impressed with my AVR. You can get a good DVD like a Denon 2200 for around $600, its not the best but its pretty nice and will play DVD, DVD-A and SACD. If you want something like a Denon 2900 you'll be in the $1000 arena. I would Say $4K is fairly accurate for an RF 7 group. My recommendation is not to buy the RS-X speakers but instead stay with four monopoles. So that leaves you $2K for a TV, I would recommend you get a wide screen 16:9 aspect direct view. It will look very nice in a smaller room. You should be able to get a 34 for that. As stated above your speakers will have the greatest impact on sound so money spent there is probably the most critical. Although you dont want to upgrade later youll need a subwoofer. You may also find in time you want a rear center as well. But the systems laid out in this thread will keep you happy for some time to come. As for me I perfer the Heritage line across the board but in order to stay within my initial budget I run a mixed system. The Reference series is a very impressive line of loudspeakers and you'll enjoy them for many many years to come..

I forgot about a sub. You will need to add that into your budget. Unfortunately, the cheaper subs have trouble keep up with the RF7's.

When you audition other systems make sure you stay with gear that is within your budget. Don't listen to $20k+ systems. Trust me on this. As a dealer once told me, "if you have a Corvette, don't test drive a Fararri. Enjoy your Corvette." And with your budget, you will have a Corvette sound system compared to your neighbor's Yugo. They will both get you there, but you will have much more fun.

Also find material that you are familiar with and compare that same material on all of the systems so that you can hear the differences.

----------------

On 3/30/2004 3:28:55 PM Hard 21 wrote:

I have very very little experience with musical systems. I don't even know what you really mean by how musical does it need to be, but I don't have to blow my eardrums out. I just want it to sound damn good and clear like I was listening to it live with no speakers.----------------

See this thread on audiogon that lists peoples personal amp evolution.

http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?aamps&1018196723&read&3&4&

If the link doesn't work, go to the audiogon forums under Amps Preamps and look for the Personal Amp Evolution thread. Currently posted at the top.

You won't have to read very many of them to start to see a pattern.

Spend some time reading the two channel forums too.

"musical" does not mean loud. It means that the sound evokes emotion.

edit: this post by Zaikesman sums up that thread fairly well.

Each move, FWIW, was up in price, down in power, and going from SS to tubes - not to mention better in sound.

You may want to post your sub question in the "Powered Subwoofer" section. There is a wealth of information there. I myself am somewhat befuddled by which sub to get for my plans. But SVS seems to be a popular choice as does Paradigm and host of others but the folk hanging out in that part of the forum are fairly knowledgeable. I believe you will find this forum (Klipsch Forum in general) is very informative and addictive over time. The wealth of information here is exceptional.

You should be able to get the RSW-15 sub along with the RF-7, RC-7 and RS-7 for that $4,000 price tag. That is a great 5.1 setup. If you want to go to a 6.1 or even 7.1, you will have to spend a tad more, but it sounds as if your room may not facilitate that many speakers. I have the RSW-15 subwoofer, but I know a lot of the other forum members are using SVS subs with great pleasure. Check out the "Powered Subwoofer" section of this forum for more information on subs...

Another thing to consider is whether your room would allow for a front-projector and screen. I read your first post yesterday and don't recall if you mentioned your room dimensions or not. A front projector and decent screen may be had for less than $2,000 (Infocus X1 will run just under $1k and the newer not-yet-released 4805 for approximately $1500). I wouldn't necessarily recommend one of these for all types of viewing (television, movies, etc) but it would be an exceptional piece for your home theater.

David

Forget the sub question. I don't mind at all, someone suggesting me to post questions elsewhere and this might be one also.

I've been reading a little, I would like to have a separate pre-amp/processor and a good amp. Don't know if that is gonna be in my price range though. How important is the difference between operating in class A and A/B? I figure there's a big difference in price, is there?