AVR 7200, Velodyne, And RF-35 Confusion

MPNX2

I have a quick question regarding my current setup. My setup is as follows.

Harmon Kardon AVR 7200

Kilpsch RC-35

Klipsch RF-35 Fronts

Cheap RCA Surrounds (saving for RS-35's)

Now here is my question. I borrowed a subwoofer from my dad who runs a BOSE system. No its not the BOSE sub. BTW he loves my Klipsch setup and now dislikes his BOSE. Anyway he also runs a Velodyne VA810 subwoofer which is what I borrowed. Well I plugged it in and changed my speaker setup to add the sub and it absolulty makes no difference. I have it placed behind the couch and I know it is working becuase the speaker is moving I even turned the gain up to "10" on it my dad runs it at "5". I think that the bass output from my RF-35's is overpowering the sub..... The stats on the sub are not that impressive here they are:

Freq Resp. 35Hz-200Hz +/- 3db

Woofer 8" forward firing

Magnet 55 Oz

Voice Coil 2"

Passive Radiator 10" downward firing

Amp Class A/B 100 watts, 250 watts peak

So is the problem the sub being overpowered by the RF-35's???

I plan on buying an SVS PB2-ISD or a PB2-Plus. Will I have the same problem then????

What are your RF-35s set to: small," "large" or customized using the bass management system? Try setting the RF-35s to "small," and/or kick your RF-35s up to 80HZ. You should notice some sort of difference. Alternatively, try moving the sub from behind the couch. The RF-35s have decent bass, but it would not necessarily be that overpowering.

Would either PB2 be overpowered by the RF-35s? I think not.

I will try moving it out from behind the couch. I really havent had that much time to play with it. I have tried setting the RF-35's to small and it made a little difference. I will change the crossover setting to 80Hz on them as well. Thanks for the help.....

I cant wait for my SVS everyone has nothing but good things to say about them.....

An 8 inch driver on a 100 watt subwoofer cannot even begin to keep up with Klipsch. You need the RSW-12 or 15 or SVS to keep up with the RF-35s IMO. The 8 inch driver cannot reproduce serious bass unless it has a 2 inch throw and a kilowatt amp. It's all a matter of physics.

Bill

PS: The RSW-15 has a 34 POUND motor structure, a 650 watt amp with 2400 watts peak power. It has major punch. This is what Klipsch thinks it takes to keep up with the Reference series for bass. B

That is pretty much what I figured. It seems like a pretty small sub to go along with my setup. I guess I am going to need some serious power to achive what I want. I better start saving for a serious sub (SVS or RSW) thanks for the help all...

I have RF35, RC7, and RS35's. I was using a Super Cube 1 which was great with my previous Paradigm speakers but not so well with the Klipsch's.

I tried HSU from CompUSA, and some 12" subs as well. I called Velodyne and talked to Curt. When I told him that I was using Klipsch he told me that I needed a 15" sub due to the efficiency of the Klipsch speakers.

I bought a CHT 15 and I am 120% satisfied.

Curt gave excellent advice in my situation.

it's not really the size of the subwoofer, but rather the quality.....

a sunfire junior sub has a 9" driver and can put out a ton of quality sound..... with it's 1500 watt amp!

in your situation, i think the problem is that the subwoofer is underpowered....

i do use a velodyne CT-150 (older version of the CHT-15) for my sub and set it at 40 hz crossover when using it in 2 channel with my KLF-30's.... it adds a nice bottom to the great bass i get from my mains.... and it's 250 watt amp can keep up with the effiency of the klipsch speakers...