suggestions for rear surrounds for my system

old Klipsch fan

I have just recently set up my newer system and have decided to sell my rears (KG4's) and buy something else. I'm looking for some suggestions and would appreciate any help. system as of today. Pioneer Elite VSX33TX A/V

KLF 20's mains ,RC35 CC, Paradigm PS-1200 sub, KG4's Rears,

The KG4's were used as my mains before just recently purchasing the KLF20's Which are unbelieveable I might add. Have considered The Hereseys as rears but would like some input from other readers. Thanks in advance

If you have, or plan to get into SACD and/or DVD-A, then I would suggest another pair of KLF20's as the best rear speakers you could get. Otherwise, I think it is not nearly so critical, and I would recommend any of the klipsch "WDST" surround speakers, particularly the RS7 or RS35.

I'm not sure, but you may want to check and see if klipsch made any dedicated surround speakers that matched the KLF series.

i am using the 'recommended by Klipsch' rear surrounds for klf-series fronts:the ksp-s6's and they are excellent!!! i am sure that rs-7's or rs-35's would do a good job as well,or maybe a pair of klf-20's or rb25/35 or c-7 center channels as monopole rear surrounds.

we need more info on where they can be placed in relationship to your seating position,room size and shape,and material preference(%music/movies)

help us help you1.gif

avman.

Quite honestly, the very first thing you need to do is replace that RC35 with a KLF-C7 (or better yet a modified KLF20). Once that is done then start worrying about the rears; for them I would suggest KLF 10s or 20s.

I would suggest the klf-c7 center also, I use an rc3-II because I could not aford a klf-c7, but it still can not quite keep up. I am using heresy II for my rears and the do the job wonderfully, better then the kg 5.5 I used to have there, but I agree with the croud that you would be best off going with another pair of klf-20, or even the ksp-s6 that are suggested to go with it.

old Klipsch fan:

Have you considered installing the rears into the back wall? I'm not famliar with your room but I chose to use RS-7s for my side-surrounds, and RCW-5's in the rear walls. I'm running 7.1 through a Pioneer Elite VSX-49TXi and they sound great! I will admit that I installed the rears in the wall to save every bit of space I have due to the small size of my room. That may not be the case in your situation. In-walls speakers admittably are a compromise to using external (box-type) speakers.

-Picky 2.gif

Sorry, cj, but there is no way that a KLF-C7 can keep up with a pair of KLF-20's... particularly if this rig is used for DVD movies. I've been there and done that with KLF-10's, 20's, and 30's... and nothing will be as good as a KLF-20 if you have KLF-20 mains!!!

Upwards of 75% of the TOTAL sound of a DVD comes through the center channel... if you want proof in your own listening environment, just set your receiver to a phantom center and situate yourself in the absolute center of your particular sweet spot. Your sound at that ideal location will be far better than that which you will experience with the KLF-C7. In fact, it is my understanding that the engineers who did the KLF series (who haven't worked for Klipsch for many years) did not design the C7 but rather it was pressed into service to fill a design gap.

I use a pair of KLF-C7's as Front Effects speakers in my 8 Legend Theater... so I do have a respect for them. Your best surrounds for a KLF-20 front array are KLF-20 rears. I have tried using KLF-10 rears for a KLF-30 front array... but as good as they sound, the timbre-match is far less than having six of the same speakers all the way around. Of course, I "horizontalized" the center and rear array speakers.

If you are pressed for space, using KLF-C7's (mounted horizontally) for the rear array will do quite nicely since timbre-matching is less critical on these channels. But... for the KLF purist... nothing really does the job like identical speakers all the way around!

And, yes, Avman, they even beat the quasi-Legendary KSP-S6... particularly when mounted in the standard way rather than in the way that works in your unusually fine home theater. -HornEd

While HornEd is likely correct about the C7 not exactly keeping up with the KLF-20, please don't lose sight of how much better of a job it would do keeping up and matching (compared to the a RC35).

I"m new at this so first off I could only download 1 pic for some reason. Room size is 16x24 w/ vaulted ceilings, almost NO BACK WALL ,so the KG4's are turned in towards the sofa facing each end with the KLF20's at each end of the room turned in towards the sofa as well. I not sure why I couldn't add more than just the one pic at a time the size was only 75kb You can see the KLF20 and my system in the pic. Maybe I"ll try posting again to include more pics or someone explain to the "old man" what I"m doing wrong uploading just 1 pic at a time. I tried clicking on the download button to add more pics ,but to no avail. thanks guys jim

post-14871-1381925374288_thumb.jpg