A/V Receiver Selection

tbmag

I am upgrading my home theater to 7.1 using Klipsch Reference 7 speakers. I am trying to select a good match for my receiver for this speaker set-up. I have been considering the Onkyo TX-NR901 or the Harman Kardon AVR7200. Is one receiver a better match than the other? Are there other recomendation for a 7.1 A/V Receiver? Thanks.

Its best to listen for yourself,everyone here has good advise but one guys great is anothers baaad.You need to find every product in your $ range and try it or you will not get the best one for you.good luck.

Iv'e owned both brands with my klipsch, but neither model. I like how crisp and detailed an onkyo is and i miss the bone crunching highs it can dish out. But i love the smooth Harman sound when it comes to music and dvd concerts. But the onkyo produces a very very nice sound for concert dvd's as well. It's just when you get into cd playback i prefer the Harman. And only then really. I may actually prefer a crisper brighter sound for my movies.

----------------

On 4/2/2004 10:59:15 PM Darren wrote:

If you are looking at receivers, check out B&K. If you're getting Reference 7's though, may want to think about getting separates.

----------------

What separates would be good for the 7's?

What kind of budget are you working with? On this board, you'll find a lot of support for B&K. If you have more money to play with, Parasound (Halo's) are nice. For less than the B&K, Rotel is very solid (I've been very happy with them). Even less than that, I've heard good things about Outlaw, though I have been reading about more people getting a little "humming" through the speakers - not good with sensitive speakers like Klipsch.