HT: Heresy or Reference?

dr-dezibel

Hey, I'm new to this forum and I have the following question:

I have 2 Heresys and I want to set up a HT. (the Yamaha RX-V 2400 is on its way)

Does any one have any suggestions for a center (not a 3rd Heresy - too big!), subwoofer and surrounds.

Or is it better to sell the Heresys and go for a Reference 7 system (without subwoofer)?

I use an KV-2 for the center and 4 KG1.2 for the surrounds.

As far as the subs go I used my SW-8 mated to the center channel and have gone to the SW-15 for the LFE. I would not sell the Heresy, in fact I would put them on stands to raise them off the floor. Better imaging.

Keep the Heresy's. I have had mine since '78 and they never

fail me. Cheers.

Have a St. Arnolds

Heresy or RF7s...that is a hard call. You will need to let your ears and your pocketbook be your guide. As for a center channel, try keeping an eye on eBay or Audiogon for an Academy, they do show up every now and then. That may be a good compromise for you. If you fail to find an academy, then you may want to try a KV3 (or the very rare KV4), they show up more often on eBay. I have a used KV1 for sale, but the KV3 may be a better match just for its output.

Jerry Rappaport

what's the problem with heresy and the yamaha?

One of the reasons why I ordered the yammie is because it has an equalizer for each channel and therefore should match with any speaker.

I have heard the RF7 and they sounded great with much more bass and smoother than the heresy - can I therefore expect the rf7 to match better with the yammie?

With a good sub, the heresys will sound great. Probably not as good as a ref 7 system but you'll save lots of money and still have a great sounding system. Another option would be to buy a pair of cornwalls (still cheaper than RF7s) and move the heresys to the rear. That would be a killer HT. You could then use another pair of heresys for center and rear center. You would still probably spend less than an all ref 7 system.

Check out the hard rock vault on the home page of klipsch. Their you will read about the sound asylum and see it. It is one of the best listening rooms they say and it is rf-7 based. They look like they changed it some i have some pictures of a different one or the same. Must be from a different hard rock. The other one is still rf-7 based.

Heresys or Reference 7 system? What's the main purpose? If it's music, the Heresys are fine speakers. If it's mostly home theater, the Reference 7's are not only superior for that purpose, they match better than anything you'll put with the Heresys. That's my 2 cents anyway.

Thank you all for answering.

Today I visited my klipsch dealer with my heresys and compared them to the rf7. The rf7 blew the heresys away.

When the heresys got assistance from a ksw15 the result was much better, but there's still the problem finding matching center and surround speakers.

My budged is not too tight, so I'm seriously thinking about purchasing the full Reference 7 package. Hope it will sound at home with my new Yammie RX-V2400 as good as it sounded with my dealer's equipment.

dr-dezibel, don't worry one bit about your Yamaha. I would

match Yamaha's AVR against any other Brand model vs. model.

You really don't have to worry on your subwoofer matching

the speakers just pick a good one. Klipsch RSW subs are

very good.

New idea:

Each Heresy positioned on top a KSW12/Center Synergy SC1/Surrounds SS1. With this configuration I'll be able to run a sub. When I'll get a r7 set I'll have no room for a sub. Will this be a good match?

Though I'm not too tight on budget this would save me lots of money (instead of a set of R7 speakers).

Is it possible to run two subs when the amp has only one sub output?