cpu sound card to reciever

jtack

Anybody link their computer sound card to their reciever and play mp3's from there. I went from headphone jack from my soundcard coupled with rca to my receiver. I got some background hissing. Is there anyway to do this, ie. better sound card, etc and still have good sound quality?

jtack,

Some cards are better than others. If your card has a line level out, try that as well. The trickiest part is to get the output level of the card/pc adjust correctly. It would be best to has the pc level turned down, and then set your receiver to approximately the same level you use for CDs, tape, radio, etc. THen bring up the pc output with an mp3 playing and match it. The is totally arbitrary or course. If the sound card is down too far and you have to turn up the receiver more to match it, you will get more noise.

Sound Blasters aren't the best, however they are passable. After all, you are already wanting to play mp3 files. If this doesn't work out, you could/should consider a newer sound card. There are several that work pretty well, but the drivers for some are better than others depending on the operating system of your computer.

If you would let us know what you have and are using, we can probably give you better advice.

Marvel

Hi, I've heard those Audigy cards are petty decent. Some with 5.1 decoding, digital outs and RCA's. Internal and external configurations. Seen 'em for $100 or so, on the www.

You can also mosie on down to the Promedia forums, and see what the prop heads use. 10.gif

well with most soundcards you do get a pleasant hiss and often times a rather harsh sound...to help reduce the hiss, you can try muting all the extra inputs and intruments and whatever it is the sound card has on (usually they're all default to on)...especially the mic input.

I agree with cyclone, use a digital output.

Also, I would reccomend, if possible, using optical, as digital coaxial can cause a lot of static/hiss. I tried it at first, and it sounded terrible... way too much hissing. I switched to optical, and the hissing went down a great amount... although its still there.

I use an Audigy II Platinum w/the live drive. I use an optical cable to connect to my reciever and then to my 7's and 5's. W/no signal I can turn the reciever to 80% of max (I'd never turn it up that loud w/music playing...too loud) before I hear any noise at all. I leave my "Master volume" and "Wave/MP3" and "CD Audio" turned all the way up, everything else is muted.