New system does this make sense?

nutoht

I am looking at buying a home theater system. Based on some research and my budget I am thinking of geting the following:

Denon AVR-1804 receiver

1 RCX4

2 RBX15

2 RSX4

1 RW10

I am hoping that someone will help a beginner validate this decision or tell me why or what I should do differently. This is already a little rich for me, however, I don't want to buy something that I am going to want to upgrade in the near future.

Thanks for any help!

I should add that my room is aprox 17.5x12.5ft. with the tv at one of the 12.5 ft. ends. I there is a doorway at the right rear of the room when facing the tv. so I am thinking I need small wall mounted speakers in the rear.

I'm going to ask the obvious question. Have you auditioned them? I have never heard them myself. My would guess would be that they perform better than the promedia PC speakers. I have the promedia 4.1 for my PC and I am VERY impressed with their peformance.

m00n makes a good point. It is your ears that need to be satisfied. For me, I would go with the RW-12. Subwoofers are a major part of the movie experience.

Be advised that physics makes it impossible for small speakers to perform as well as larger speakers in a room as large as yours. The only advantage to small speakers is appearance and WAF. You should listen to some larger speakers as well to hear what you would be missing.

As far as price is concerned, be sure to ask for a discount of at least 10% (20% would be better) as you will be buying a lot of speakers.

Bill

i took a minute to look over the specks for the speaks you listed, and to be honest you would be very sorry you went in this direction, although you are talking about klipsch, you are talking about speaks that would be far undersized for your needs, and room size. plus the frequency response is really weak, you did not mention your budget, but it might be a good idea to start with 2 better-larger speakers, and for a while do your ht in stereo, with a good reciever you can make 2 good speakers sound better than 5 mediocre speakers, good luck12.gif

I disagree in that I believe the Reference Sats will easily handle your room size. Their sensitivity rating though not the highest that Klipsch puts out are higher than most other speakers on the market. This means that the sheer volume from the speakers will be more than all but the insane will require. I have mine in a room a little bigger than yours and they have no problem overwhelming you. They will rock the entire apartment let alone the room so to me this is not an issue. Their frequency response does drop off pretty quick below 80-90Hz but that is where your sub when set properly through your receiver will take over. Without a sub you would be at a disadvantage but mine blend in fine with a sub. I have 4 surround systems (5 if you count the ProMedias) and all of them are Klipsch except one. I have ProMedias, Synergy bookshelf, Reference towers and Reference Sats and my Sats when combined with a sub compare very favorably with my RF-3s. I by no means would call them mediocre and even with the Synergy line I would be a little reserved about saying so. All you have to do is go listen and all your concerns will be resolved. I am in no way saying they are better than the bigger Reference Series but anyone who dismisses these Sats must not have heard them. If you want satellite speakers these are some of the best out there and IMHO have no competition in their price range. Dont believe me, go listen!

Go to the ProMedia 5.1 General forum for some more info on the RSX-4's and 5's.

----------------

On 4/4/2004 3:05:33 PM nutoht wrote:

I am looking at buying a home theater system. Based on some research and my budget I am thinking of geting the following:

Denon AVR-1804 receiver

1 RCX4
($250)

2 RBX15
(I assume you mean RB-15s, $300)

2 RSX4
($600)

1 RW10
($500) - Total MSRP = $1,650

I am hoping that someone will help a beginner validate this decision or tell me why or what I should do differently. This is already a little rich for me, however, I don't want to buy something that I am going to want to upgrade in the near future.

Thanks for any help!----------------

For almost the exact same amount of money you get 2 pairs of RB-25s (MSRP $400/pr) and an RC-25 (MSRP $280) and an SVS 25-31(MSRP $549 ). (MSRP Total = $1,629). This would give you a very nice HT and be better for 2 channel listening. If you have needs for a sattelite system, I certainly understand that and the RSXs are nice. However, the bookshelves can be wall mounted as well.

Just something to consider,

John

the stats tell the tale, compared to the rest of the reference line the proposed system would have a very limited range, loud? yes. but detailed? soundstage? no. i started with a very nice set of polk audio for my ht, it did have no problems filling a room, and with the sub i had fair lows, but it was not quality sound, polk is really good gear, i guess my point is, you cant fill a large room with natural-quality sound from tiny little speakers, its just physics. you said you did not want to purshase a system that you would need to upgrade soon?12.gif

----------------

On 4/4/2004 6:57:43 PM Euell wrote:

----------------

On 4/4/2004 5:18:26 PM m00n wrote:

BTW, WAF = Wife Acceptance Factor before you ask.
1.gif

----------------

To some of us - the WAF carries a lot of weight!

----------------

LOL! And this is the exact reason why I am working on my setup now. I asked my mother and sisters if they would ever allow their husband / future husband have such a setup in the living room (5 floorstanders). I was met with a very strong "NO!". Then my sister mentioned some small cube speakers by "some company, I think they were BOSS." lol.