match for my KLF20's Help!!

old Klipsch fan

I was wondering what the group thought about surround speakers for my KLF20"s other than another set of 20's. I wrote to the techs at Klipsch and they said the reason I was disappointed in my KG4's for the rears was due to that not matched sonically to the KLF's (klf's being 100db @1 watt and the KG4's being 94db@1 watt. I was wondering if anyone knew if the KG5.5's which are closer to the KLF's @98db@1 watt would be a GOOD match? thanks and also what are your thoughts on Heresey's for rears to my KLF's?

The tech also recommended the RS-35's. As I mentioned in my previous post I have a RC-35 for my center and EVERYONEsaid that I really needed the KLF-C7 instead. Not for nothing ,but the RC-35 seems to be doing a great job. I would have to borrow someone that would let me hookup a C-7 before I would spend that kinda of money. Any help is greatly appreciated! old man klipsch

Surround speakers are not as critical (as mains and a center) as long as the levels are set the same as your front speakers. If your preamp or receiver doesn't have the capability to automatically set them, pick up a SPL Meter at Radio Shack (costs about $30) and adjust the levels manually. Enjoy!

i have been very happy w/my ksp-s6's(recommended by Klipsch in the legend manual)

having said that,the heresys may sound really good as rears,in fact i may try my '85 heresys just for the heck of it as rear 'monopole' surrounds since the living room(where the heresy/cornwall combo usually resides) isn't finished yet.

avman.

On 4/5/2004 2:37:31 PM old Klipsch fan wrote:

I was wondering what the group thought about surround speakers for my KLF20"s other than another set of 20's. I wrote to the techs at Klipsch and they said the reason I was disappointed in my KG4's for the rears was due to that not matched sonically to the KLF's (klf's being 100db @1 watt and the KG4's being 94db@1 watt. I was wondering if anyone knew if the KG5.5's which are closer to the KLF's @98db@1 watt would be a GOOD match? thanks and also what are your thoughts on Heresey's for rears to my KLF's?

The tech also recommended the RS-35's. As I mentioned in my previous post I have a RC-35 for my center and EVERYONEsaid that I really needed the KLF-C7 instead. Not for nothing ,but the RC-35 seems to be doing a great job. I would have to borrow someone that would let me hookup a C-7 before I would spend that kinda of money. Any help is greatly appreciated! old man klipsch

what are the main goals for your surround speakers?.... if it's multichannel (SACD or DVD-audio), then i would recommend getting some more KLF-20's.... for movie's i would recommend the RS-7's or the RS-35's.....

i use a pair of RS-3's (predecessor to the RS-35's) for surrounds with my KLF-30's and i feel that the sound is fantastic for movies as well as the limited number of SACD recordings that i have....

i think that the MCAAC eq/level/delay system in my pioneer elite vsx-55txi has helped a great deal in matching the EQ issues in the differences between the three different speakers in my system (KLF-30's, RS-3's, and KLF-C7)....

good luck!

1.gif

I really don't see those RS-35s being any better than you KG4s, but I do wonder if you may not have the level correct on them. They should probably be set at +3 to +8 dB -- but you need a SPL meter to really get that set correctly. And yes, you really do need to replace that RC-35 with a KLF-C7. Right now when a sound pans across the front soundstage (i.e. your front speakers) that sound is changing in tone (and probably level) as it goes from the left to the center to the right. A properly setup C7 will keep a tonal and level match so that the panning sound is seamless.

----------------

On 4/5/2004 2:37:31 PM old Klipsch fan wrote:

----------------

I have a set of Heresy II's as my surrounds. They do a really good job. I would suggest those over the other speaker you mentioned, the kg 5.5. I used to have those as my surrounds, and i was unhappy with them. They do not even come close to matching the klf-20's. I use a rc-3II for my center, and i think it does a wonderful job, but i had a KV-2 before that, and just about anything would sound better then that. I would really like a klf-c7 or better yet a modified klf-20 in a horizontal configuration, i just don't have the cash to shell out.

I really don't believe RS-35s match KLF20s at all. They might be the best possible match when ONLY looking at speakers currently in production, but in all honestly I don't see how anyone can really call them a match. For instance the KLF20 uses a K79K exponential horn tweeter and a K52K midrange tractrix horn driver (also known as a squawker) both with polymer diaphragms -- whereas the RS-35 uses two K-129-DN tractrix horn tweeters (playing the same frequencies) both with titanium diaphragms. The is a big difference when it comes to tonal output when comparing poly versus titanium domes. Futhermore, the KLF20's horns start taking over at about 750Hz whereas the RS35's horn don't start until 1900Hz. You should be able to find a much better match by going used and/or building something custom. But like I have said many times before, what you really need to be concered about is replacing that RC-35 with a KLF-C7 (or modified KLF20 or 30) because that will make a much more noticable improvement that what you do in the rear.

----------------

On 4/8/2004 10:10:44 AM old Klipsch fan wrote:

Dan, you say you have a set of Heresey's for surrounds and that your pleased with them. Do you thnok they match up as well as thr RS-35's? I"ve been haering alot about them for matching to the KLF20's

----------------

yes i Do have heresy II's as my surrounds and yes i pleased with them. Much more pleased then the kg5.5 I used to have there. But i would go with another set of klf-20'S if i had the money. (I used to have the heresy II on my front surrounds. which i no longer have any.) I do have a rc-3II center channel not the rc-35 (they are not the same) that replaced it. And no it do not match up the best in the world, but like i said before i used to have a KV-2 center channel, and the new center matches up much better then the old one. Once again if i had the money i would modify a single KLF-20 into a horizontal configuration. Or even have settled with a KLF-c7. But i did not have th budget for either of those. If you have the buget go with KLF-20's all the way around.

I want to thank everyone for giving me there opinions on how to get my HT system setup correctly and think I will take your advice as an"overall" group opinion and keep my KG4's for the rears until I can afford to buy another set of KLF20's for the rears and look into a single KLF20 or KLF-C7 for my center. Until then I will just ahve to enjoy what I have and look forward to upgrading when I can. Here's one last question for the group and I'll leave everyone alone to enjoy the Easter weekend, I have a Pioneer Elite VSX33TX receiver and want to know if some else had or has one that can tell me how to get the crossover below 80. I went through it step by step ,but can't seem to get it to go lower than 80. I have all my speakers set on Large and the sub set at Plus. thank you all again and have a very happy Easter holiday

jim1.gif