Klipshorns as main home theater speakers

Joe Lynn Henley

Recently I moved my 1973 Klipshorns downstairs to use as the main left and right speakers in a home theater setting. I moved the Paradigm Studio 100's from the front main positions to surround positions,leaving the Studio 470 center channel speaker in that same position. I have not been able to adjust the volume on my Marantz SR8000 receiver to allow adequate volume in the center and surround speakers without uncomfortable listening levels from the Klipshorns. I have made all the adjustments Marantz has recommended, but still have the same problem.I would prefer not buying additional speakers, since the Paradigm Studio series are also excellent speakers. I would welcome any suggestions. J.L.H

1.gif

You will never get those other speakers to blend with the Khorns. They are way to efficient and dynamic for the others to even come close. Since you are not wanting to spend any money to get the other Heritage speakers that you will need to have the Ultimate HT you will have to sell the Khorns and buy the matching speakers to what you currently have. The center will need to match the Paradigms in timbre and tone to provide a seamless soundstage across the front. I would ditch the Paradigms and use the money to put Heresy's in the rear, then dump the center and get another Heresy. Trust me you will not be sorry! You are 3 Heritage speakers away from an incredible HT.

I kinda agree with that...I have lascala's up front..Heresy's doing the rear surround duty with and academy pulling center work. I am working on a custom center using lascala mid and tweeter horns and drivers and undecided woofers..then the academy might be moved to the back for 6.1 duty. All heritage is very cool.3.gif

Joe

For a truly amazing HT, you must go all Heritage.

Find some used Heresys for surrounds, I got a pair once on Ebay for $185. They were not in the best of shape, but in a dark HT, the sound is what matters.

The center MUST be Heritage. You need the midrange Heritage can ONLY deliver in between your Khorns. If you can't do a LaScalla in the center, you can do what a lot of us do and build our own Heritage center. Otherwise a Cornwall or Heresy will work much better than anything else.

Go all Heritage...

JM

I am using my corner horns as mains, but I am using the PREAMP out on the 6-channel rcvr to drive the 2-CHANNEL preamp as a line source. That way I have a separate VOLUME control for the horns, as well as higher fidelity than the 6-channel amp which is quite a bit cheaper in all ways.

Try that, it certainly works...

DM

from reading your post it seems that you might be missing 1 tweak, use an spl meter, before when i was mixing reference and heritage i had this same problem, once i used the meter i had equal volumes, voice will never be great, but sound levels would be very close12.gif

DM, Thanks for your suggestion concerning volumn control for the K-horns. I had an inexpensive 2-channel amplifier at the office, so followed your advice and connected the Marantz pre-out for the mains to the auxillary amp and found this would work. My next request is for your advice concerning what type and brand/model amplifier to use to drive the K-horns. Thanks so much, Joe Lynn H.1.gif

I would recommend no# 1, your Paradigm are no match for your Khorns, if so get a pair of Hersey II's if space allows.

The 2nd is replace the SR8000....I use a Reference system to power my Heritage set up....music is more important than movies....IMO...Marantz provides....IMHO....

The SR8300 is a sweet piece....

As a Canadian, I like the Paradigm product.,.....as a match for Klipsch Heritage(your Khorns)....wrong answer.

go Hertitage.....don't skimp....you lose in the end.....10.gif

All Heritage is the only way to go for a spectacular HT system IMHO. Without matched components things will move depending on the peaks and valleys in a speaker's response curve. I use the Khorns and LaScalas with two Heresy rears.

A number of audio sites, as well as ebay, have marketplaces that offer old Heritage for sale. Of course, things pop up on this site from time to time. I lucked out on the audioreview.com classified. I got the Khorns for $1500, but one had a blown tweeter. And two LaScalas that were beat up for $300/pair ( filled in knicks and scratches and repainted black - one was missing a woofer which I picked up on ebay for $56). You may have to travel a little and you'll need a good sized vehicle to haul them. Other buys included wood laminate covered LaScalas ( really nice) for I think about $500 for the pair. The LaScalas would go for at least $800 - $1200 on ebay; the Khorns for around $2000. I'm sure other forum members will suggest other audio sites you can keep an eye on. Ebay comands top dollar but you can get lucky. It's a good place to study what's things are trading for. Good luck - it's a great adventure!