Scott299 high mids and low tweets distort.

I thought it was only in the left channel but I switched the 7189's and listened again and it is in both channels. Most noticable on vocals. It sounds like overmodulation. I haven't checked the bias but could that be all it is? Everything else about the amps sounds great. Lows are strong and tight.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, call me a babe waking up in a new world every minute, but over the last few days have been reading Wolfram's thread on his Eico with polarity reversed. I turned over the plug on my Eico this morning and realized that the sound hadn't been up to par, and it was as simple as that. Just one possible solution. And easy if it works.

Having just moved all my components to a different room I could have messed something up but I just checked and all my +'s go to +'s and my -'s go to -'s. I have notice that over the last couple of months that the two red lights on the front of the amp are not the same intensity like they were. One is noticably dimmer. Could that be a clue?

Lights are no clue to the problem that your discribing. What electrical condition is this amp in ? I hate to say it but I've done so many amps now I can't remember if I did one for you :) If I did do the amp who was it done for ? Rest assured that if we can't figure it out you can send it here for a look see.

Craig

Geeez not that amp again 1.gif This could be almost anything and at the moment I don't even know where to start. Why don't we talk on the phone on the morning. Shoot me your phone number and best time to get with your tomorrow. Besides this way we don't have to listen to Jekyll and Hyde Brennen 6.gif

Craig

When I play my system all the lights in the house flicker -- is that bad? 9.gif

Craig says that most of my posts sound like self promotion now-- so I guess I can't blame all of these problems on the crossovers anymore.10.gif

I remember this amp too, I sure got to hear him ***** about it enough.

Oh yeah, I'm "religious" all right. I also happen to have one of the most profane mouths of anyone I know -- but I don't use GD unless I whack my knee or shin. I think "God" is generic anyway -- it's not even His name.

Hey TBrennan. I was born in Arkansas which is close enough to Missouri that you have to "Show Me". BTW, I am almost impossible to offend. When I decide I want to try something that I know almost nothing about, I ask questions, listen to the answers, and blame only myself for the decision I make. I have a Yamaha and the Scott on an A/B switch to my Cornerhorns. For a little test, with Nora on the Panasonic PD-65, digital out to the SS and analog to the Scott, I set the volume the same on both amps, tone controls flat. I had my son switch back and forth while I listened. The components are in another room. One was fuller, clearer, more real sounding. I asked him to switch it a few more times at the last to be sure of the one I liked the best. The one that sounded live was the Scott. I have done some tube changing and the distortion is gone. May have been a bad connection. If you are ever in North Louisiana let me know. How do you like your crow?3.gif

Wrench---I'm glad you're pleased. Nobody says you have to like what I like. Nor do I have to like what you like. Preference you see. And if we don't express opinions here we'll soon have little to talk about unless you just wanna be a mutual ball-washing society.

I was just in Louisiana a few days ago. Hotfooted it out though. Mississippi has cleaner rest areas. More Waffle Houses too.

Now I'm back home on my beloved prarie.

I'll see ya in Arkansas though but I'm a-goin' to eat BBQ, not crow.

----------------

On 4/9/2004 10:21:14 PM TBrennan wrote:

Steve----I can afford nearly any amp I want and can certainly afford old Scotts if I so choose. I don't care too much for the Scotts I've heard and will say so. I don't bow at anyone's altar or kow-tow to "common knowledge" or any hi-fi orthodoxy.
----------------

When behind a keyboard !