Need Peach Money...

Deang

Funny thing is before this auction there was probably no set price on this one. Then BOOM! a half a dozen soul freaks all HAD TO HAVE IT and there you go, an instant $7200 45.

There have been 45s that have sold for over $10,000 on ebay.

I agree with you, this is NUTS, but you're dealing with COLLECTIBLES as opposed to MUSIC.

I am somewhat guilty of this myself, but have never yet gone THIS far around the bend.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A pal of mine, Chang, bought that $60 Toshiba DVD player and did the mods. We took it to another fella's place and compared it to his $3000 Cary CD player. The Toshiba sounded better. The fella with the Cary and Chang thought so anyway. I wasn't paying attention.

The system used is VERY nice. Field-coil Supravox wide-range drivers augmented by Fostex horn tweets and a pair of JBL 4648 bassbins. Amp was a gain-clone. Fella used to use a pair of Berning SETs but the gain-clone sounds better.

Tom, I'll borrow the thread for a sec to ask you an Altec question. I have a 605 woofer that needs reconing - do you know any rebuilders that have a kit in stock and will do a good job? A place here in the Lou has had the speaker for two months, no kit, and no projected completion.7.gif

Gain clones look to be interesting1.gif

Dave---www.greatplainsaudio.com

Dave Hanuschak, who owns Great Plains in Oklahoma, was the "real" Altec's last head engineer and he owns all the original Altec tooling. He makes parts that are identical to the original. He is considered The Man for Altec rebuilding, he can do anything. He even makes new phenolic spiders for old "Hollywood" 515s.

Gain-clones can sound very nice. A number of hornys I know have thrown-over SETs and gone to gain-clones. They appear to be the way to go. One fella I know drives Tannoys, Fostexes and JBL horns with gain-clones. Another drives my Altec 605As, which I loaned him, with DIY gain-clones. And another pal drives a full-bore Edgarhorn Titan rig with clones.

----------------

On 4/13/2004 4:57:03 PM TBrennan wrote:

Tubin---Whatever you like is fine with me. You are not a serious person, not one to be respected, not a "man with a belly". Go on your merry way.
----------------

Heck when I seen you I thonght geez I thought I had a gut 2.gif Since when does ones worth get measured by his belly size ?

Craig

----------------

On 4/13/2004 7:25:44 PM NOSValves wrote:

----------------

On 4/13/2004 4:57:03 PM TBrennan wrote:

Tubin---Whatever you like is fine with me. You are not a serious person, not one to be respected, not a "man with a belly". Go on your merry way.----------------

Heck when I seen you I thonght geez I thought I had a gut
2.gif
Since when does ones worth get measured by his belly size ?

Craig

----------------

Made you feel thin again did he NOSValves?

----------------

On 4/13/2004 5:42:09 PM Jalen01 wrote:

Sorry to Butt-in,

Are there any other post with "reviews irst imprressions" on the Blue Berry, Besides the " Thanks Mark" Post?

----------------

I believe the serious reviews are right around the corner from number of members. They just recieved them a few weeks ago and I'm sure they want plenty of time to audition and let them settle in. First impressions are not the best ones to take to the bank.

Craig

----------------

On 4/13/2004 3:27:17 PM TBrennan wrote:

A pal of mine, Chang, bought that $60 Toshiba DVD player and did the mods. We took it to another fella's place and compared it to his $3000 Cary CD player. The Toshiba sounded better. The fella with the Cary and Chang thought so anyway. I wasn't paying attention.

The system used is VERY nice. Field-coil Supravox wide-range drivers augmented by Fostex horn tweets and a pair of JBL 4648 bassbins. Amp was a gain-clone. Fella used to use a pair of Berning SETs but the gain-clone sounds better.

----------------

Tbrennan,

What would be the mods taht were done to the Toshiba?

Tom