Need Peach Money...

Deang

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dean, you should be asking for more...those Advents are "peachy"!

But you won't afford the Peach by just sellin' yer Advents alone; you'll need more loot, so you can restore my friend's KLH Model 5s for him (he got the pair at a local Goodwill outlet for $15...what a steal). Of course, he's a college student that only works part time, so it may take up to 90 monthly installments for him to pay you for the job.

You aren't in a big rush for that preamp, are you?2.gif

klh model 51.jpg

post-11084-13819253894332_thumb.jpg

I never tried or expected to get digital to sound like vinyl. I think records are a joke, and you're all brainwashed into thinking it sounds good.9.gif

Hee hee, think I'll pass on those monster KLH's. Yikes.

Guy, you're a trip. Those are all Utility Cabinet Advents. They're vinyl, with near 35 year old electrolyics in the crossovers, and average condition grills. I don't know if mine are worth $425, but they're definitely worth more than those. Yeesh, I've got near $200 in the crossovers alone.

I think records are a joke, and you're all brainwashed into thinking it sounds good.

++++++++++++

Dean,

Just for the NEWBIES you should post how many hours you have invested in listening to analog vinyl.

For fear of kids and cats I only listen to 4-15 hours of vinyl LPs per week.

I am OK it (Vinyl LPs) beats my upsampled CDs 65% of the time.

Refrain from disparaging vinyl when you lack the prope exposure to the meium.

For example, the new;

Honkin on Bobo

by Arrowsmith

On Vinyl

Smokes!

I challenge people who find this software title lacking.

I'm 46 years old. I started with records when I was 14. By the time I was 23, I had over $1500 into my vinyl rig. That was a lot of money back then. I had over $300 into my moving coil cartridge alone. To get a vinyl rig that equals the sound I'm getting out of my 9000es and well recorded CDs using 22 bit mastering or more -- I would have to mortgage my house and sell one of my kids off on the black market. Snap, crackle, pop, snap, crackle, pop.

DEAN,

and that means what?

You did not have a vaccum record cleaner? Of course you did not. And the vinyl was poorly handled.

I can play more LPs without a skip than I can play CDs most months.

Thanks for confirming to the newbies your continuing narrow focus.

I have nothing to gain.

The newbies compete for my $ 1.00 vinyl at the thrift shops.

I just don't get what the big deal is about the odd click, snap or pop--they don't bother me AT ALL! I'm not talking about being able to listen to beat to sh!t records with blown out grooves, but a click or pop here and there? I don't even notice them. What are important are the OTHER sounds and how true they are to (my sense) of reality!

----------------

On 4/12/2004 12:21:29 AM DeanG wrote:

I'm 46 years old. I started with records when I was 14. By the time I was 23, I had over $1500 into my vinyl rig. That was a lot of money back then. I had over $300 into my moving coil cartridge alone. To get a vinyl rig that equals the sound I'm getting out of my 9000es and well recorded CDs using 22 bit mastering or more -- I would have to mortgage my house and sell one of my kids off on the black market. Snap, crackle, pop, snap, crackle, pop.
----------------

Especially if you consider the fact you have to buy a bunch of stuff like this too:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4005685708&category=306&sspagename=STRK%3AMEBWA%3AIT&rd=1

Allan

Dean is too rooted in the paradigm of digital

i offered to send him a Dual TT with newer needle months ago.

he refused.

It is irresponsible to make ill coments about an old concept 25 years ago on how to effectively manage vinyl payback; whan it makes great music when correctly managed.

it is not like slamming a Cd in a tray; but is a mechanical reproduction of the waveform in a groove. It is relevant audio.

Rick,

Give up Deano is a hopelessly lost cause when Vinyl is mentioned. He just isn't willing or able to take the time that is required to do Vinyl right. I can understand his position if I had his schedule I wouldn't have time either. Heck I really don't have the time either !

Craig

Vinyl is not for everybody. I listened to vinyl for years until I discovered the convenience of CDs and I admit, I was "marketed" into thinking digital was a superior format - no pops or ticks and the disks are indestructible. I left my records behind and didn't spin vinyl for another 10 years until I happened upon a collection of LPs at a thrift shop that I simply couldn't pass up (old habits...).

The first thing I noticed after I got the rig up and running again was, well... pops, ticks and all those things that made the CD such a good idea in the first place. Also, I rediscovered the ritual that one must go through to get a LP on the table (cleaning, shooting static, carbon brushing, etc) and then doing it all over again 20 minutes or so later.

At first, these things were agonizingly inconvenient compared to the ease of CDs but as I put some hours into the process and regained the skills, I was able to get rid of most of the pops and ticks and the ones that remained became less offensive or noticeable. Getting up to flip and clean the record didn't bother me as much and became the norm. I also started perusing the covers and reading the liner notes again and for the first time in many years, I was actually able to tell my guest the title of the song we were listening to. Best of all, I started picking up and listening to records that I had only heard on CD and that was truly an eye (or ear)-opening experience.

I didn't need an expensive set up to appreciate the openness, detail and clarity that was missing in my digital gear. While I'm sure there are much better DACs and transports available, my digital gear is OK and at 4x the cost of the turntable, arm and cartridge, I consider it apt for comparison. In fact, I purchased a Thorens TT at a yard sale for $20 and bought a used Shure V15xmr cart for another $100 so the disparity in price is much greater but bordering on ridiculous ($2500 vs. $120).

But vinyl is definitely not everyone's cup o' tea and there are folks who can't discern any differences between formats much less any sonic benefit from vinyl. In some systems, records won't sound any better than digital and in some cases I can imagine that they may sound worse. Certainly the convenience of the digital formats plays a big role in some people's attitude and who can blame them after all. Ultimately, I think it boils down to what you're willing to put up with in order to enjoy the music. Have fun -Bryan

As far as ticks and pops go, a few here and there are easy not to notice when played on a turntable. But oddly enough, if you make a CDR of that same vinyl record, and leave the ticks and pops without editing them out, they become really distracting, and you know exactly when they are going to come up.

----------------

On 4/11/2004 11:10:12 PM DeanG wrote:

What do you guys think -- am I asking too much?

----------------

Nope. The key will be to have a buyer who appreciates the new crossovers. Might be a good idea to say more about that in the description.

I've got a pair in similarly good condition, but no crossover upgrade. Wonder how it's doing after all these years?

In the CD's vs Vinyl Dept:

If I had the mental capacity to ignore the clicks and pops of vinyl, I'd play all my CD's on a jam box and just convince myself that it sounds good and not have to have so many bucks in my rig. I bought very little vinyl after 1984 when I got my first CD player. Remember reading at the time that there were only 50K CD users in the US at the time. The price of the hardware had dropped from $1200 to $600 and I pulled the trigger. Listened to the 8 or 9 CD's in the collection more than the hundreds of LP's. Was so glad for what I wasn't hearing and the convenience of CD that I never looked back! Boy, and made someone's lucky day when I dropped off cases of LP's at the GoodWill in 1990.

The first CDs sounded marginal, and some even sounded like total sh!t. But back then I was buying mostly MFSL recordings, and it did help. By 1985 I was really kicking myself in the arse for having sold off my vinyl rig. But this is 2004, and new CD recordings sound very good to my ears. Most of the remasters I have recently bought sound dynamite. For example: Led Zeppelin III is killer. Naturally, if someone is listening to a lot of older recordings that aren't available, or haven't been remastered with the newer recording equipment/processes, or have large vinyl collections -- they should continue to enjoy what analog has to offer (I never said it sounded bad). But for someone like me, who has but 40 or so albums left to my name, no time, and beginning to feel the need to be more financially responsible -- forget it.

Right around the time I made the Klipschorn decision, I had seriously considered getting back into it, but after generating the additional $6000 of debt to get the Klipschorns, I decided it was time to chill. Can anyone really blame me?

I think I turned down the Dual because I have no phono preamp, I really can't remember why I turned it down. I didn't mean to offend, or insult you Flynn -- the offer was very generous and kind, and was appreciated. Of course, now Bryan comes along and infers that is dinky vinyl setup sounds better than his $2500 CD player. Well, I sure don't know what to say about that!! Maybe I shouldn't have turned down the Dual.9.gif

I hate it when I get "narrow" -- but no one does it better than me!!