Just curious sub with Khorns?

hoggy

There are very few direct radiator type subwoofers that could hold a candle to the bass that a klipschorn in a proper room can produce. They simply cannot match the dynamics and provide low distortion bass. There are a few subwoofers that may work well, but they are large, expensive, and power hungry. I would really like to hear what a servodrive contrabass could do, when matched with klipschorns or lascalas.

Of course, if you wanted to match the output of the klipschorns at maximum input power, it would require several of the contrabass units.

ContraBass.pdf

Klipsch TSCM loaded with a Earthquake Magma dual voice 15, with 2 Solen 2.5 Mhy (Klipschorn spec) is the best ive come up with so far as a subwoofer yet, what i have here is a folded horn subwoofer, and all hell is breaking loose here. Thunderous solid bass, like ive never felt before.

I should be carefull, to much bass will stop your heart LOL.

Regards Jim9.gif

post-3695-13819253895782_thumb.jpg

Here are THE directy dadiating that can keep up to leves where your hearin will collapse and some will oupace K-Horns!

Revel B15(awe inspiring output to 25Hz,IMPCAT IMPACT and more deep IMPACT) $2500

SVS B4-Plus(staggering output down to 20hz,needs a very powerful SS amp) $2500 plus amplifier

SVS PB2-Ultra(massive output down to 20Hz,self powered beast) $2500

Acoustic Visions Everest(monster sub using two Tumults with FOUR 18" PR's,nuff said) $2500 plus amp

Anyone who calaims these subs are weak does not have any idea what he is talking about.I have the B15 and had borrowed duasl SVS Ultra subs.I have a damn good idea what these can do.

With the above sibs we are talking over 120dB output and more!

You want real bass,you have to pay.No cheap ride.Even if you go DIY you buy two Tumulta alone...$1000 gone,plus cabinet,your work...amp.No free candy.Cheap stakes eat crow,spenders have bass,planty of it...LIKE ME

9.gif HE HE

Yes there is, and I think I own it with my Khorns and Velodyne FSR-18. I couldn't be happier, you wanna talk low going, ok not a Bagend mind you, but digs deep 10.gif

check out the new HGS-15X, a 15 would be fine....in all honesty my 18 is over kill at times....IMO....10.gif

good hunting....

Khorns do bass well but roll off early (-3db at 35Hz if I recall?) compared to many modern speakers, so they really would benefit from a good sub. TheEar made some good suggestions given you didnt mention a budget, room size, nor musical style.

If your budget doesnt permit those subs, I think you could get by with less, esp given this is primarily a 2 channel rig. How big is your room and how loud do you like your music? Alternate subs would include the SVS PB2-Plus subwoofer at 1200$ or the Acoustic Visions Denali at 1800$ with similar performance minus several db.

If you want to look at DIY, an infinite baffle using several AV15s or Tempests will provide you with more bass than most would imagine.

There are MANY choices.. I guess it really depends on what youre after?

Rob

Thanks for the replies folks. Sometimes I really like to crank them up. Other times I prefer very low volume. Guess that's why I use a 350 WPS McIntosh. I was over to a buddies the other day and was blown away by his old McIntosh speakers bass. They were no match for the mids and highs I get with my Khorns but the bass was almost undescribable. My Khorns are well sealed in good corners as per HDBRbuilders instructions includeing screwing 1" thick plywood under the Khorns to complete the bass bin and I thought the bass was very good and was happy until I heard my friends speakers. I listen to just about every kind of music so that's kind of a mute point. I mostly listen to vinyl (462) albums I bought way back when. 90% of them in excelent shape. Don't really have much room for a sub unless I place it in front of one or both of the Khorns. Purhaps two smaller subs would work better. They'd have to be self powered too I guess. I'd take pics but don't have a wide enough wide angle lens. The rooms fair size though. Khorns on long wall (approx-25ft) rooms about 18 ft deep. I'd be willing to spend $2000-$2500 if I had too. It's fairly scary to buy/spend that much money to find they don't do what i want them too. This is stickly for 2 channel listening. I don't watch much TV and have no plans to go the home theather route. I still have not made up my mind that I want to do this yet but knowing myself once I get something like this in my mind it will bug me until I do.

Thanks,

hoggy

• 2 weeks later...

I went ahead and ordered the PB2+. What does the Ear think. You mentioned the Ultra. The PB2+ was recommended by Erik @ SVS for my size room. formica said something about the PB2+ as getting by with less. I don't like the thought of "getting by" so am looking for some reassurance. I'd buy the Ultra if it's what I really need though. If it's not needed I don't want to "waste" money. As previously stated this is strictly 2 channel.

Thx,

hoggy

----------------

On 4/21/2004 6:06:02 PM hoggy wrote:

I went ahead and ordered the PB2+. What does the Ear think. You mentioned the Ultra. The PB2+ was recommended by Erik @ SVS for my size room. formica said something about the PB2+ as getting by with less. I don't like the thought of "getting by" so am looking for some reassurance. I'd buy the Ultra if it's what I really need though. If it's not needed I don't want to "waste" money. As previously stated this is strictly 2 channel.

Thx,

hoggy

----------------

Well, if it turns out that the PB2+ doesn't do it for you, I believe you have a month to return it to SVS. If that's the case you can then switch up to the PB2-Ultra. No hurt in trying.1.gif

Congratulations!! When I said I think you could get by with less, esp given this is primarily a 2 channel rig. I meant that I believe the PB2-Ultra would be overkill for most users, even a Khorn user. I doubt you would/could ever bottom out a PB2+ since you are after a balanced musical setup... and you will probably not significantly boost the subs output versus your mains. .

Its like comparing a car that does 0-60 in just over 4sec to one which does it in just under 4sec. Both are very fast, and will rarely get pushed to their max... but doing it under 4sec is truly exceptional piece of engineering.

I believe the PB2+ puts out ±3db less than the PB2-Ultra and it doesnt have the nifty wood finishes. If I were shopping for a sub, Id go for the + given its excellent price/performance ratio too.

But right now, Im looking for what you already have... a pair of Klipschorns (d@mn they are big)!!

You wont regret your decision. 2.gif

Rob

I've never heard a pair Klipsch Horn that could keep up with a large, quality made sub. I think the PB-2+ will do wonders for your response. Those horns are outstanding, however they fall short of what that PB-2+ will be able to put out below 35 Hz (tuned, calibrated and placed right of course). The PB-2 Ultra will do just a little bit more but it's a stiff price jump. When I upgrade it'll be to the B4+ to make it worth my cash. Cool?1.gif

Thanks formica and CAS,

What I needed to hear. The Khorns actually take up less space than their size suggests. Had a pair of Belles before and they actually took up more space when in corners than the Khorn. And yes I am using the sub to take over where the Khorn leaves off so I doubt I would over drive it. Now for the 2 week wait on the delivery. I hate that part.

hoggy