Incredible problem with K-horns........

tcb

Ok,here is the problem.The corner where stay one speaker have 2 different levels,I mean is a few inches portion where I guess cover some electrical cables.That speaker even without any conection to amp,capture a hum/electrical buzz,when is in the corner.If I pull it out about 5 feet,the buzz is out,push in the corner back,the buzz is on again.If I conect back the speaker cable to amp and turn on the amp,the hum/buzz decreased dramatic.If I turn off the amp,the hum increased again.This problem I have is only with location and not with speakers,because I try to swap them from a corner to other one and had same problem in that corner.My question is what can I do to isolate that wall portion or how about to try shock ferrite on the internal cables on crossover,midrange,tweeter ???Hope somebody will understand with my poor english.....Kindly appreciate any help.

cheers

Mario

----------------

On 4/15/2004 8:52:25 AM Maron Horonzak wrote:

TCB...you asked this question on 3 sites one would be sufficient.

----------------

Sorry I'm disperate to solved the problem.

On 4/15/2004 8:52:25 AM Maron Horonzak wrote:

TCB...you asked this question on 3 sites one would be sufficient.

----------------

Sorry I'm disperate to solved the problem.

So let him post it where he feels he needs to. Its not like we are paying by the byte here. He is using the forum for its intended use. He is not the only one to do this. While I agree some forums are better suited for a particular question than others its not a crime to post it in others.

• Klipsch Employees

This sounds like RF noise...there are ways to help. Shielding the network is one way...to find if the network is "decoding" the RF

leave the speaker in the corner and move only the network the 5 ft away. ( you will have to use longer wires to all the drivers, but remember this is just a test and will not stay this way.)

If the problem stops with the network away from the corner, try placing the network in a metal box. (a lunch box or co

okie tin would work)

If the box helps some, try grounding it to earth ground of the electrical system in the house.

Solving a RF problem is like shooting ***** in the darkyou never know if your shooting the right direction until you finally hit something

I did an experiment once by completely covering my speaker cables with tin foil (except for the ends) and then grounded the foil with a wire to real earth ground to reduce RF interference.

Try that too. It's cheap to do and it works rather well.

DM

You might consider using some sort of shielded coaxial cable for speaker cable.

You could also try purchasing a couple of ferrite balun transformers at your local computer shop. There are models that split apart. Put one around the wire a few inches below the point at which the speaker wires connect to the crossover and the other on the point at which the speaker wire touches the floor.

The suggestions from the other respondents also make a lot of sense.

Good luck this is obviously a very annoying problem but I don't doubt that you will find a satisfactory solution.

----------------

On 4/15/2004 7:33:05 PM lynnm wrote:

You might consider using some sort of shielded coaxial cable for speaker cable.

----------------

Thanks Lynnm but the speaker capture this hum/buzz even is not connected to amp by speaker cable.If I move the speaker 4-5 feet away from the corner the buzz goes off.I was thinking too at shocks feritte clamps but I could not find local in Toronto.I try to small stores also to big stores like Home Depot,Radio Shack but without a chance.My only option I think is to buy from eBay.Did you have an idea where could I find feritte clamps?

It may be that the inductors in the crossover are being excited by a magnetic field from nearby wires. There was something similar reported a few years ago. I tried to recreate it with a tweeter and coil of wire, and could not. But that proves little.

Is this a K-Horn. If so, turning the crossover board on its side or upright (each being a 90 degree twist) might eliminate the problem because it will put the inductors sideway to the field. No guarantees, but worth a try and costs nothing.

You might need some props to do this. If it works you could mount them permanently with L brackets.

If it is another type of speaker you might test my theory by just putting the speaker on its back or side as a test.

If this is a problem with the inductors picking up something, I doubt shieled wire or ferite beads on the wire is going to help. Worth trying though.

Gil

----------------

On 4/15/2004 2:00:45 PM trey cannon wrote:

This sounds like RF noise...there are ways to help. Shielding the network is one way...to find if the network is "decoding" the RF

leave the speaker in the corner and move only the network the 5 ft away. ( you will have to use longer wires to all the drivers, but remember this is just a test and will not stay this way.)

If the problem stops with the network away from the corner, try placing the network in a metal box. (a lunch box or co

okie tin would work)

If the box helps some, try grounding it to earth ground of the electrical system in the house.

Solving a RF problem is like shooting ***** in the darkyou never know if your shooting the right direction until you finally hit something

----------------

Oh yes - I like it Trey. This starts to make sense. Let's see - an apartment building (high rise to boot) and an unshielded riser with cable TV feeds that have to be amplified quite regularly. Look for a leaky amp?

This is a winner in my book - makes most sense.

The problem is EMI, not RFI.

If he lives in a hi-rise there could be 5,000A in the conduit behind his wall. The coils in the network act as a secondary on a transformer.

Move the network away from the speaker and tri-wire it.

I would use NEUTRIK SPEAKON 8 POLE connectors to make it easy to wire.