tee-vee causing belle to buzze!

jdm56

I put my old 26" Yamaha TV on top of my belle center speaker, and now whenever the TV is on I get this nasty buzze through the mid horn. It (the mid driver) seems to be picking up stray EMI from the TV power supply, as the buzze gets louder when the screen goes white, and much quieter when it goes black. My question is, would a steel plate between the belle and the TV stoppe the buzze? How thick should it be...3/16"?

It might, might work even better of you grounded it. However I believe the best solution is to move the TV off of the Bell Klipsch. I have never heard of shielding a speaker from TV interference, usually the other way around. But I would guess you are getting as you said power supply interference. So moving the TV seems to me to be the best option.

I can't move the TV. It would then be off-center and that...is...unacceptable.

I think I need a Sanyo projector. That would stop the buzz. Come on guys, tell me I need a Sanyo projector so I can tell my wifey-poo that y'all said I needed one.9.gif

James,

I agree with DJK. The easiest solution is to simply replace the existing wires connecting the crossover to the drivers with longer wires, and move the crossover. You could pick up a cheap sheet metal box at an electrical supply company, put the crossover in there, and locate it 8 or 10 feet away from the TV. You might need to use shielded wire from crossover to drivers... I really don't know. But I'd try it with simple (aka cheap) "speaker wire" from Home Depot just to see if it solves the problem.

oops - sorry guys, the problem is in my cable box or cable! I moved all 90 pounds of tee-vee off of belle and as soon as I switched to the TV input on the receiver, there was the buzze in all it's glory. Odd thing that really made me think it must be coming from tv-speaker interference is the way the buzze varies depending on lightness/darkness of picture. So...could it be a ground loop? Cable box power supply emi?

White always makes a TV buzz. That's just the way TV is.

Movies not made for TV can be real bad. The networks sometimes did a color wash on titles/credits/etc. No white shirts allowed!

I assume you checked for a ground loop on the cable hook-up.

Ah, never assume, for when you assume - well, you know the rest.9.gif Anyway, no, actually I have not checked anything else yet, but that is my next move. If the buzze isn't on the cable itself, then I'll swap this cable box out for one of my others and see if that helps.

Thanks,

• 2 weeks later...

Low and behold! When I put my Pioneer receiver back in the system, in place of the Panasonic, the nasty buzze on the TV input, to which my digital cable box is connected, absolutely disappeared! Hoo-friggin'-ray!! Now why did this happen? On the Panny, the buzze was only heard on the tv input. Some kind of grounding interaction?

Whatever - I've never heard dig. cable music channels sound so good!

• 3 months later...

Buzz that changes with the Video signal (screen brightness) is a problem with the demodulator (TV receiver or VCR)

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

I bet if you move the TV far away from the Speaker the buzz will still be there.

What are you using to tune in the TV signal?

• 4 months later...

Dang... I am sorry for your speaker loss.

On another note, though, I, too, have a wierd hum/buzz problem with my center channel. I have a KV-3 sitting on top of my TV that makes a buzzing sound in the tweeter (and you can sometimes faintly hear the dialog from the TV in it as well) when the TV is on. It makes this sound regardless of whether the receiver is on or not. It doesn't bother me a ton, though, because you have to have your ear very near the speaker to hear it. It does bother me a little, though, but I don't suppose there's much I can do for it.

----------------

On 1/13/2005 12:36:14 AM tpg wrote:

It does bother me a little, though, but I don't suppose there's much I can do for it.

----------------

Pull the crossover out and move it away from the TV and just use longer leads to the drivers 2.gif

Well, I guess this is a moot point, but it is simply a result of induced noise from the TV's high voltage CRT circuitry! Unless you have a shield speaker, this is likely to happen with any TV speaker combination - along with the possibility of color anomalies in the TV due to the speaker's magnet structure and its interference with the CRT's beam scan. And then hopefully you have one of the FEW TVs that have a degauss feature!