Klipschorn purchase

consistent

Hi LarryC

I suppose you may be right. Interpreting the serial # coding on mine, it's the last 4 digits that would count.

http://www.geocities.com/lelamjade/Klipschorns/KHorn10.jpg

That's sad to hear Klipsch making the xover into a PCB. I know in building tube amps, the use of PCB is discouraged. In high end class A transistor amplifiers the preference is still point to point soldering.

I also question the quality of our current drivers. The woofer looks like a make out of the Eminence factory and the tweeter made in the Phillipines :o

I also question the quality of our current drivers. The woofer looks like a make out of the Eminence factory and the tweeter made in the Phillipines :o

The deal with Klipsch speakers is that the drivers chosen are the optimum for the application. With La Scalas, for example, I've often read that substituting a "better" woofer for the K-33 will result in worse sound. Eminence makes quality drivers, many of which are used in professional applications. The K-77F is made in the Phillipines to match the specs of the earlier tweeters.

Klipsch makes very good speakers which represent good value in terms of their price and sound quality. If they were much more expensive due to more expensive components, but sounded only slightly better, their price/perfomance ratio would not be as good.

Individual owners can and do make improvements, not all of which are successful to everyone's ears, but the factory has to work with what is practical and salable.

I suppose it all depends on how insane you want to be. Do we differentiate between your normal consumer or the rich that have loads of $ to buy what's hip?

One thing i've noticed is that in high-end brands (like exotic cars), they don't seem to depreciate much. I think it's fair to say that a classic Ferarri will always hold it's value - just like high-end audio brands like Naim. I don't think the Klipschorn will be in the same league as say the Tannoys.

In order for Klipsch to be taken seriously in high-end audio, they really need to make 'quality' stuff that will test the time - simply by having a high resale value. If they used similar drivers (such as TAD, Goto, or strict inhouse productions), and commanded a price tag like these other comparable makes, then the high-end community will take the Klipsch brand more serious.