Mink Oil...

Jeez, you guys don't know where to buy mink oil? Just go to a shoe store. Better yet go to a Redwing store (Redwing makes the finest workboots, the only boots to wear) and get some Redwing shoe-oil. The Irish Setters on the left were treated with the stuff periodically and after 6 years in the field and a couple of resolings the uppers are still soft, pliable and uncracked.

post-6913-1381925410545_thumb.jpg

Q-Man---Well I figger fellas wear workshoes and boots everywhere. I don't think Boilermakers and Ironworkers in Florida are workin' in flip-flops. :)

But Hell buddy, I been wrong before.

Anyway try a Redwing store or some place that sells Wolverines or Chippewas or other workboots.

What material are the surrounds you are planning on treating. I have some older speakers that are in good condition with what appears to be butyl surrounds and wondering if they need to be treated. Nothing was ever said when I purchased them and the company is now out of business.

Tom,

I was exaggerating about this of course, but I have never seen the stores that you mentioned.

I'm in the cabinet business as you may know, and we install in some of the condominiums in Merritt Island and Cocoa Beach. This last year we have been told that the installers can't wear sneakers on these job sites anymore. You want to talk about a bunch of pissed off guys. Now they are saying that the installers need to wear long pants on these commercial jobs. Come on! They work in a finished unit with table saws and chop boxes being their largest tools. Boots and long pants are a sore subject around this area right now.

I wouldn't use this mink oil on just any surround. I don't know what the surround is make out of on the Sunfire Signature sub woofer. It is a thick and very dense rubber like substanse. The manual even says that you can land your best punch on the speaker (driver) and you won't hurt it. Like I said, Sunfire recommends using mink oil on it once a year.

----------------

On 4/20/2004 10:54:42 AM Q-Man wrote:

We can buy surf board wax in all of our stores, can you?

----------------

Yeah, its here on the coast of California too. Thats a bad recommendation though. I applied it to my RF-7s but it doesnt look so good. Ill say one thing though, the cat has no trouble jumping up on top anymore, a lot less claw marks. 9.gif

"I wouldn't use this mink oil on just any surround. I don't know what the surround is make out of on the Sunfire Signature sub woofer. It is a thick and very dense rubber like substanse. The manual even says that you can land your best punch on the speaker (driver) and you won't hurt it. Like I said, Sunfire recommends using mink oil on it once a year. "

Mink oil is best for foam/compressed foam sourrounds.The Sunfire uses multi layer compressed foam sourrounds,as does the Tumult,Krell MRS woofers and a few other heavy duty mosnters.

Mink oil will slow degradation,drying up(aging) of the sourround.

Mink oil also works on rubber sourrounds,but here automotive products like Turtle Wax work better.Mink oil is not dangerous unless you eat a whole can.2.gif

Not for paper cones,anything foam and rubber is ok.bests helps compressed foam sourrounds.

Ok, so I have a pair of RB-5II's, and I want to make sure that the surrounds will not degrade over time. They appear to be rubber, so you are saying that turtle wax is better? Doesn't turtle wax dry hard or something? I would have assumed that mink oil would have been better since it is for protecting leather.