Reference series Made in China???

KeesGuy

I saw a post on the Asylum board that a guy was hooking up his RF-15's and saw the label said "Made in China". Can anyone verify if this is true? I saw that some of the centers and bookshelves at BB were made in China but I assumed that was just happening in the Synergy series.15.gif

it s cheaper to make speaker in china than usa2.gif

but engeeners and peoples who design klipsch spaekers probably works in usa.

anyway, it s not very important where klipsch speakers are made...the most important is the way they sound (magic)and the horn spirit,isn t it?

----------------

On 4/20/2004 10:26:08 AM doudou wrote:

it s cheaper to make speaker in china than usa
2.gif

but engeeners and peoples who design klipsch spaekers probably works in usa.

anyway, it s not very important where klipsch speakers are made...the most important is the way they sound (magic)and the horn spirit,isn t it?

----------------

I totally disagree! It may be cheaper but how much cheaper after you factor in shipping costs. Secondly it does matter where they are made. For every job that is in China, that is one less job here in the USA. I would much prefer knowing that a fellow USA citizen made my speaker rather than someone from another country... Well... Ok Canada is cool, they can make my speakers too. But other than Canada, Well, ok England too. I like the brits, but thats it... I swear. Keep our jobs here were they belong.

Well, I really don't have much more factual information to share. Here's a link to what I read:

http://db.audioasylum.com/cgi/m.mpl?forum=general&n=300838&highlight=klipsch+china&r=&session=

This same sort of debate came up a while ago around here so my goal wasn't to repeat the China free trade debate as much as it was to find out if the RF-15's are truly made in China.

Whether it belongs there or not, I put Klipsch in the same category as companies like McIntosh. These are American companies that were present at the dawn of Hi-Fi. (Yes, I know Mcintosh was purchased by Clarion several years back but I believe they still are manufactured here and the "soul" of the company is still very American). The soul of McIntosh is still very high-end as well. I think it is important for a company like Klipsch to maintain their high-end status because they will never be able to compete with the low cost and cheap labor of products designed and manufactured overseas. H.H. Scott tried to do that in the sixties and look where they are today. Klipsch needs to take the higher ground. People will pay more for quality and even some will pay more for products made in the USA.

In Paul's biography he said something like he didn't want to compete with companies like JBL on sales volume. He'd rather build a better quality product. Bless you Paul.

I agree with m00n. In about 10 to 15 years when the effects of out sourcing are apparent and it is to late to do anything about it I think you will share our concern. As consumers we have to voice our displeasure now and nip it in the bud. Mark my words with technology changes this in going to create HUGE problems in the future.

Gloablization....

Ever heard about it? Ohhh..maybe for you as long as only America was able to sell (or push?) their products and services into other countries it was Gloablization. And ohh boy wasn't it great...

Now that other countires are upto offering their porducts and services...you want America to go into hiding (and become incompetitive)?

Double Standards???

Get over it. Globalization no longer is one way street. It is a two-way street. It can only introduce more competition and get you better (and ofcourse cheaper) products. Other countires have a right to develop too.

That's why the New World Order.

neworldorder

In this particular thread, I only see people, including myself, wanting to keep our neighbors working. Some of us working for a very large semiconductor company have seen a good number of jobs moved from the states. As a result putting close friends through a great deal of stress on themselves and their families.

Massachusetts has seen hundreds of thousands of hi tech jobs disappear affecting millions of people.

If company A uses USA as a corporate office and their manufacturing overseas and company B is USA in offices and manufacturing it would weigh in on my decision.

Whether it be the New World Order or not. the USA will become a service country and dependent on others for its survival.

NWO.... Listen perhaps you have not seen your jobs go to another country. When you do, you might understand. it's not about keeping other countries down, it's about keeping the jobs that started here, right here at home where they belong.7.gif

m00n,

I fully agree with you.....it was scary when I call Dell for customer support...and found out I was talking with a gentleman from New Delhi, India!!!!!! Very helpful, but I still wish I could have spoken with someone in the U.S. ..........

Well, its not China's or any other country's fault the jobs are moving there. Its the guys here in this country, sitting on the executive boards of many corporations that vote for moving production out of this country.

I also disagree with the fact that it does not matter where the Klipsch speakers are made. It will not take long till the high quality standards maintained by Klipsch here in the USA will start to erode overseas. Take Promedia's for example - very nice multimedia sets ... when they work ... So many of them got returned due to malfunctioning control consoles etc. Where were they made? China. Did they bear Klipsch logo? Yes they did. Did it keep them from being of subpar build quality? No.

Or, take Denon for example. I have AVR3803 that is made in Japan. Great receiver. On the other hand, I had series of bad experiences with Denon DVD players last year and this year - DVD2900 (bought and returned twice), DVD2200 (bought and sold). Yes, they sound great, but with so many quality issues despite their seemingly great build quality ....

Also, going back to the point about keeping jobs in the US - will it take long before design, R&D and all other business functions will follow manufacturing? Not too long, in fact its already happening. Also, how will US professionals be able to design great products if they no longer make them. I strongly belive that manufacturing and design belong to the same place. Lose manufacturing - and pretty soon your engineers and designeers will be laid off as well, since they will gradually lose the expertise and first hand experience.

This is the first thread I've seen turn political. Guess I'll throw in my 2 cents. I'm an American working overseas - have been for years. Having seen how things are done in several foreign nations, I've come to value the "Made in America" tags and will pay more for it (in most cases). The average consumer, however, will not. The same people who ***** about US jobs going overseas are the same ones who will buy a product made in China over one made in the US because it costs 15% less. Can I blame them? Not really - there are few of us willing to pay extra. This problem isn't going away - 3rd World Nations don't value their time like Americans do. When someone is willing to work for a few dollars per day, the US really can't compete. Can't blame unions in the states either - while they do keep the labor costs up, few Americans would work for less anyway.

There is a place for both US made and foreign provided products in the US. I don't want to pay a premium on everything - on many items the quality difference isn't important to me. Someone already said it above(mOOn maybe?). I don't want Klipsch to compete with mass produced speakers made in China. I'm willing to pay more, and I think people who buy Klipsch aren't "deal hunters", their looking for quality.

Well...I guess I went to sleep. So much water has flown since I logged in last.

Let's take things one by one.

1. First of all, m00n, jobs do not belong to one place. Jobs move based on what best serves the business interest. And business interest always (mostly) boils down to making "Profit", while not crossing the boundaries of the law. Everything else, like employee care/benefits etc. comes afterwards. So if you wish that companies stop seeking opportunities to cut costs and make profit, that is obviously a recipe for end of capitalism. I would imagine you know what that would mean.

So as a consumer, it might make sense for you to do what your heart says, even if that meant buying a product that might be 15%-50% more, as long as it is Made In America. However for companies it does not make sense to keep producing at costs 15%-50% higher then what their competitors are able to produce at.

2. I am sure it is very painful when you see the near and dear ones loosing jobs. As far as I am concerned, I have seen my friends loosing jobs. And the experience has been as painful as it can be. But for me to say that we are loosing all the jobs because of outsourcing to China obviously would be an exaggeration. Long before anybody heard of outsourcing (or even China ;)), US championed the concept of "Hire & Fire", which is still a rage in the developing countries. This kind of free market dynamics have been one of the biggest reasons for the highly efficient and successful system that exist in US and in some other developed countries. OTOH, lack of similar free market is one of the biggest reasons for the highly in-efficient systems of the developing countries. However as some of countries are starting to realize the benefits of US pioneered capitalism, they are starting to offer products that compete pretty well with the products that were at one point built only by the developed countries, and they are able to build them a lot cheaper. And it's not before they would be matching the best of best in quality too, because there is no inherent reason that they won't be able to. In-fact they already are. Hell, Rotel 1056 sounds damn good, and did I say it's Made in China.

3. One of the things that's easily forgotten in this outsourcing debate is the larger markets that US is able to access, and the benefits that it is bringing along. US market in itself is not good enough for companies to keep posting good profits anymore. So if introduction of more players into the field, brought more competition, it is also providing a bigger playfield and thus benefiting all. Even though in short term it might seem like as if all hell is going to break loose.

Also I am failing to recall something that Uncle Greenspan indicated about outsourcing, something like putting barriers against outsourcing will harm US economy in the long term.

Anywayswell..I want to keep writing, but obviously I am not writing a book and I need sleep so that I am ready for another grind tomorrow.