Klipsch THX System

zippy

I saw a complete set of the new THX speakers (KL-650, KL-525, KS-535 and 2 KW-120 Subs) sitting on the floor in the Barretts in Naperville, IL ready to be installed in one of their theater rooms. Salesman said they should be up an running in a couple of weeks. He said they are replacing the M&K S150 system currently installed in that room. Anybody listened to this system yet? I can't wait to hear them.

How are these being marketed? Are they coming in "above" the Reference 7 series? I like the look of some of it - looks like matching speakers across the front, but the mains don't "look" as beefy as the RF-7's (maybe that's why there are 2 subs?).

THX speakers MUST be identical across the front three speakers. THX speakers are intended to be run as small with the crossover at 80 Hz. The sound should pan across the front with no change in timbre.

The subs are Ultra2 certified which means that there is boundary gain compensation and room EQ. If they are set up properly, the results should give even response with 120 db of output at 20 Hz.

Bill

----------------

On 4/20/2004 10:45:48 PM Darren wrote:

How are these being marketed? Are they coming in "above" the Reference 7 series? I like the look of some of it - looks like matching speakers across the front, but the mains don't "look" as beefy as the RF-7's (maybe that's why there are 2 subs?).

----------------

They are a step up from the Reference 7 system. We have a set on the way and will have the system on display with Bryston and Theta gear along with the Ref 7 system if anybody in southern/central california wants to stop by.9.gif

Kevin

The Sound Broker

Oxnard, CA

Well, I looked in a magizine and and the whole 6.1 set up is 4000 MRSP. This includes the front 3, the back 3, one sub,one amp for the sub, and universal DVD player. I talked to my dealer and he said the mains may cost about $600 each but he didn't have the numbers on him at the time.

CD

Although I have not actually seen or heard this new system from Klipsch, I have auditioned the M&K and I was not impressed with it for the money it cost. I think the Klipsch system will fair better. But, i'm not ready to trade-in my RF-7's just yet.

thx ultra 2.jpgpost-10177-1381925411125_thumb.jpg

Above the Reference 7 stuff? Yeah, right.

Well let's see.

Just counting the fronts, two RF-7s and one RC-7 gives you total cone area of about 415 inches. Ultra2 comes in at 199 inches.

Reference 7 gives you a 1.75" pro style compression driver. Ultra2 drops you back down to a 1" driver like the smaller Reference stuff.

----------------

On 4/22/2004 12:25:38 PM DeanG wrote:

Above the Reference 7 stuff? Yeah, right.

Well let's see.

Just counting the fronts, two RF-7s and one RC-7 gives you total cone area of about 415 inches. Ultra2 comes in at 199 inches.

Reference 7 gives you a 1.75" pro style compression driver. Ultra2 drops you back down to an inch (like the smaller Reference stuff).
----------------

But X'ed over at 80Hz., you don't need big drivers. 2, 6.5" drivers are fine. As for the tweeter, thats for the courts to deceide, maybe they are better than the normal 1" tweeters, but its too early to rule them out as inferior.

So they're crossed over at 80Hz, what does that matter? Most people cut their RF-7's at the same place with their SVS', RSW-12's and 15's.

Bigger drivers = less THD and IMD at any given volume level.

Also, those tweeters have to be really padded down so those small drivers can "keep up". I'm betting those monitors aren't over 98db/w -- so now you need more amp as well to pass up the RF-7s.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the system doesn't sound great, because you can bet your arse it does. I'm just saying not to push this system above the Reference 7 system in overall performance.

I do cut my Reference 7 speakers at 80 Hz and do believe that the THX speakers may be challenged to keep up with my floorstanders. That is why I have the 7s, and not bookshelf speakers.

The down side to the bigger woofers is the problem with Doppler distortion. I am not an expert on Doppler distortion, but I cannot hear the alleged Doppler distortion with the bigger drivers when run as small.

Bill

----------------

On 4/21/2004 6:48:25 PM cdsang wrote:

Well, I looked in a magizine and and the whole 6.1 set up is 4000 MRSP. This includes the front 3, the back 3, one sub,one amp for the sub, and universal DVD player. I talked to my dealer and he said the mains may cost about $600 each but he didn't have the numbers on him at the time.

CD

----------------

I got the feeling that MSRP you quoted is for KES-6100-THX , not the THX System that is discussed above. But the again, the system does not include all the items you listed.

Mr. McGoo,

Great point about the Doppler distortion. That's the biggest advantage larger drivers have over smaller ones. Smaller drivers have to travel much greater distances to displace the same volume of air as larger drivers. Therefore, the smaller drivers inherenlty suffer from doppler distortion. By cutting your speakers off at 80 Hz you're limiting the amount of travel required and thus reducing the doppler distortion. But then you already knew that. I'm hoping somebody who didn't, does now.

John

----------------

Reference 7 gives you a 1.75" pro style compression driver. Ultra2 drops you back down to a 1" driver like the smaller Reference stuff.

----------------

Doesn't the fact that the THX system has larger horns fit into the equation somewhere? That's just a stab in the dark for me, but I know as far as everything else goes, the larger the horn, the better (RF-7 to Cornwall to K-horn).

The horn shape on the Klipsch THX speakers is different because THX requires a special sound dispersion pattern. The pattern reduces wall reflections.

The horns on the Reference 7 speakers are as clean as any high frequency horn that I have heard. Sensitivity is quite high on the RF-7's horns. Sensitivity on the THX speakers is lower than the 7s. It will be interesting to learn whther or not the THX speakers can reproduce the same level of detail as the 7s.

Bill