Which Home Theater speakers?

Kain

I am setting up a new Home Theater. I was going to get Bose speakers, but I hear that they suck from a lot of people. Since I did find a Klipsch dealer nearby, I need to know WHICH Klipsch speakers I need.

I don't have much space, but I was top-quality and high-end sound. Any recommendations?

And another saved soul!!!

Halleluja!!

More seriously, we are all glad you didn't go for blose. Trust me, once you hear the Klipsch sound, or any other hifi speaker sound, you will be glad too!

We need your budget to make suggestions, but in the end you'll have to go by ear and listen to all the speakers you can before committing to a pair.

Welcome to the wonders of Klipschland!

Kain, I don't know what you consider "don't take up much space," but if you're talking about the footprint of the speaker (how much floor space), the KLF series has just been discontinued, and you really can't beat the quality for the prices they're going for now...

for instance, the KLF 10, which retailed for $1,100/pr are going for half that on uBid.com and they only take up a 12" x 16" rectangle of floor space.

The matching center, the KLF C7 is actually a pretty huge center channel, but if you have a large TV or have a small TV in an entertainment center of some sort, it will fit fine on top of the cabinet. It retailed for $700 or so, and I got mine from eBay for $340 with shipping...

it's definitely up to you, of course, but the KLF series is engineered with extremely high quality, and, as you can see from their numbers on this site, their efficiency is awesome - doesn't take much power to have incredible sound with them.

This is coming from a guy who just bought his first (and only so far) Klipsch just this May... but I've been listening to them in stores for years - and now, finally, they're pretty affordable for me! Yippee!!

don't be afraid to buy online, either... tell your local guy the prices you're seeing online and watch him stumble and stutter...

------------------

Front: dbx Soundfield V - 15" woofer, 8" mid, ribbon tweet, 3.25" mid & dome tweet on top

Center: KLF C7

Rear Surround: Polk f/x bipole/dipole

Amp: Yamaha RX-V990 100x3; 25x2

DVD: Yamaha DVD S795 (built-in DD Processor)

CD: Yamaha CDC 575 5-Disc

VCR: Toshiba M752 6-head

TV: Mitsubishi 40" Tube

DirecTV

Playstation w/ s-vid & RCA to V990 for awesome gaming picture & sound!

This message has been edited by drewzter on 07-07-2001 at 11:45 AM

KAiN64, I feel your yearning to be free... I have known the joy of the Klipsch Sound for decades... but I am not as experienced with smaller systems as some of the very knowledgeable Klipsch fans and administrator types that share their knowledge here.

In its noble attempt to be a "mainstream" speaker company with high quality roots and a respect for the "little guy" (which extends to the freedom of expression that is allowed on this BB), Klipsch tends to deliver better speaker engineering at any price point in which it competes. Thus, you are probably safer using the tried and true adage of, "First, put your money into the best speakers you can afford... they are the vital link between any source equipment and your ears."

Next, let your ears be the final judge, not the hype, stats, or the advice of friends, relatives or "would be experts." Be advised, however, that many people get sucked into believing a distorted sound from a compact cube is what great sound is all about. Believe your ears... "Acoustimass" is not an audio-religious experience... even for Gregorian chants!

Fortunately, for you, it is easier to find lower priced Klipsch systems at high-volume, price-sensitive stores and on eBay from people upgrading their systems than it is some of the higher end Klipsch offerings.

If size, price and Klipsch were my matters of concern, I think I might put out some posts asking for Klipsch fans looking to upgrade to consider selling you their old equipment at a fair price. You may be amazed at what might come out of the woodwork in your neck of the woods.

The more you listen to the Klipsch Sound... the happier you will be. We live in a polluted world, give your ears a little psychoacoustic clarity... it brightens your whole persona! cwm30.gif HornEd

PS: Come on folks, how about a little definitive help here for some one willing to brave the real world beyond cubic Bozo cuteness???

------------------

"A Klipsch Powered HT Where Legends Live!"

Front Sound Stage:

KLF C7 Center, KLF 30 Mains, KLF 10 Front Effects

Background Sound Stage:

KLF 30 L&R Side/Surrounds, KLF 30 L&R Rear Effects

Large Mouth Bass:

Twin SVS CS-Ultra / Samson 1000 Subwoofer

Speaker Support Systems:

Mitsubishi RPHD1080i 65", Yamaha RX-V3000 Receiver

and such... Tweakin' On!

Cornwall II Music Room Under Construction

I live in Dubai, UAE. So, ordering online is not an option for me since most American online stores do not ship world wide. As I have said, I have found a local Klipsch dealer here, and I want to buy brand new speakers, not used.

I have no clue which speakers are "meant" for Home Theaters or whatever. So, please tell me which Klipsch speakers are best for Home Theater systems.

Well, if 1300 is your limit, I think you need to go with the Synergy set-up. Get the SF-1 or SF-2 for mains, SC-1 for center, and SS-1 for surround. They are Klipsch's cheapest line, but will still be better than Blose! If you can swing a little more cash, get the Reference line-up which is RF-3, RC-3 and RS-3 and you'd be even happier.

------------------

Brad

Legend Series KLF-20s and KLF-C7...still hoping to get the S6's someday!

I just recently purchased the Reference series (RF-3, RC-3, and RS-3) minus subwoofer for approximately $1300.

This setup is imho, the best bang for the buck you can get, in this price range. If you have the bucks, you can even get the newer Reference models that are just hitting the stores now (see klipsch.com for more info).

I'm very pleased with my purchase. Even so, I still wish I had the bucks, the space, and the Klipsch setups that several other posters here have. (example: 13 KLF-30's? 2 pairs of Cornwalls? 2 Khorns and 3 LaScalas? I feel overwhelmed. Smile.gif)

It's great to reside in Klipschland, where there's always room to grow. Cool.gif:

------------------

RF-3 Mains

RC-3 Center

RS-3 Surrounds

Sony SAWM40 Subwoofer

Technics SA-DX1050 receiver

Panasonic DVD-RV31K DVD player

JVC 32" TV

Not too bad, I must say...

Before you start raising KAIN in Dubai, here's a sub-human centrist thought to chew upon. The two main speakers that you need to focus on are the subwoofer and the center. Since upwards of 60% of Home Theater sound is channeled through the center, and clear dialogue makes movies better, I would suggest an RC-3 for its size and tapered array... and add appropriate Klipsch mains and sides to fit. Unless you want to build your own, I do not think there is a quality sub that will fit your budget. The new Klipsch subs won't be out until the Fall. If I had to buy a good sub the least amount of money and couldn't wait, I would probably email TVodhanel@aol.com for his advice. He is a partner in SVSubwoofers and has a reputation for candor and fair dealing... and probably the best subs for the least cash.

Then again, if you are into self abuse, buy Bose! cwm22.gif HornEd

The Synergy series SF1's, SC1's, SS1's will blow away anything from Blose. And Come very close to the RF's in sound quality. The KSW Subs are better than given credit for. I think the SF1's are more precise than the SF2's. Give them a listen.

------------------

Technics SA-1040DX

Klipsch SF1 Fronts

Klipsch KSW12 Sub. (2)

Klipsch SC1 Center

Klipsch SF1 Rears

Panasonic RV31 DVD

Yeah, you're forgetting the most important piece of the whole puzzle! The reciever, without a reciever you're speakers will be worthless. You can get a decent Yamaha or Denon for less than $500. You can go cheaper if you want (I won't again). Right now I'm using a pretty cheap Kenwood VR-309 and it sounds pretty good with my Legend's, but I know a Denon or Yamaha would sound ALOT better.

------------------

Brad

Legend Series KLF-20s and KLF-C7...still hoping to get the S6's someday!

Okay, this is what I have come up with:

TV: Sony KV-36XBR450 ($2699.99)

DVD: Sony DVP-S7700 ($999.00)

Receiver: Sony STR-DE945 ($600.00)

Speakers: Center: Klipsch SC-1 ($280.00), Mains: Klipsch SF-2 ($650.00), Surrounds: Klipsch SS-1 ($400.00), Subwoofer: Klipsch KSW-12 ($499.00).

What do you think? Please keep in mind that this is my first Home Theater system.

This message has been edited by KAiN64 on 07-08-2001 at 03:03 AM