Klipsch 3.5 - HARSH sound!!

vdmtr

• 11 years later...

KG 3.'s are wonderful speakers. My first Klipsch speaker built circa 1995, so they are not brand new.

For what they are they are wonderful, but they are harsh on the top end. Bright, and ultimately fatiguing compared to bigger offerings. Still, the best bang for the buck in speakers anywhere at anytime.

I've always blamed it on the tweeters, but it could be where they are crossed over. Not technically inclined, but maybe a tweeter change, but first placement. At least 7 feet apart, one foot from the wall and angled slightly towards you.

Hello !
<snip> Klipsch KG3.5 speakers. I noticed that sound they produce very "harsh"<snip>

Welcome to the forum. We're here to help.

"Harsh" might mean different things to different people. Can you isolate the objectionable sound to a specific frequency range? The easiest way to do this is with a 1/3-octave graphic equalizer. Something like: http://www.ebay.com/itm/ART-HQ-231-Dual-31-Band-EQ-Graphic-Equalizer-MINT-L-K-/170856196022?pt=US_Home_Audio_Equalizers&hash=item27c7d2a7b6

I am not the seller of the eBay item.

I found a Sherwood RVD-8090R user manual here: http://www.vatel.co.kr/english/download/pdf/Rvd-8090.pdf

Item 9 on page 16 says the "Cinema EQ" button can "compensate for edgy or shrill cinema tracks"

I recommend trying the Cinema EQ button first. If the sound is still not to your liking, get a 1/3-octave graphic equalizer and adjust the equalizer to remove the "harsh" sound.

Page 5 of the user manual shows how to install a graphic equalizer in the tape monitor loop.

Start by cutting one band at a time equally on both channels and listen for the sound to be less "harsh". You may find that several bands require adjustment. Once the equalizer has been adjusted to remove the harshness, let us know your equalizer settings.

"If you can not measure it, you can not improve it." --Lord Kelvin